Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One-Parent Family Payment

12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Well if there's nothing to hide, there shouldn't be a problem if someone lifts the phone? I know it wouldn't be nice to be investigated like that but at the end of the day all you'll have to do is tell the truth and everything's grand!

While I agree with you on the nothing to hide front, the woman in my brothers case dislikes my brother and his girlfriend, and is constantly looking for ways to make trouble for them. Another incident was when she called the ISPCA and told them their dog was neglected. Couldn't be further from the truth, the dog is treated like a king.

Another time she rang the gardai and told them that they were selling drugs, which again is another porkie. I expect the next phone call will be to child protection to accuse them of abusing their kids. She's just an interfering aul bat. Some people go out of their way to make trouble for others. Every time someone lands on the doorstep to do with her latest fairy story they've to go through the embaressment of having to deal with it.

Of course if you've nothing to hide there shouldn't be a problem, but all I'm saying is know what you're talking about before you put people through that.

ziggy23 wrote: »
    As far as I know, I may be wrong though, a lone parent can have a partner stay over 3 nights a week. Does anybody know if this is right? (not for myself btw:P)
    I've heard this myself, so theres something to it I reckon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

gnag wrote: »
    Just heard a crazy story, (from the person in questions mother!) This girl was claiming one parent payment for the past 5 years while living with the father of her 3 kids, he was claiming single parent tax credits, which i didn't even know existed, and then they got married last May. Is there no on in the social welfare office even the least bit suspicious? There are many single parents who need this payment to make ends meet but this couple were abusing the system in a disgusting manner. Is there even any point in reporting it now? I'm not sure anything would be done at this stage. The only reason she told me was because she was boasting about where her daughter had bought a house and I commented that she must have a very good job to buy in that particular area. She then proceeded to tell me how they lived with her and claimed all these things, so saved loads of money and she was as proud as punch!

Appalling behaviour, it makes me very angry to read a story like this. Please do try and report these lowlife leeches.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,274 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Abi wrote: »
    Of course if you've nothing to hide there shouldn't be a problem, but all I'm saying is know what you're talking about before you put people through that.

Yeah, in your example though all they'd do is check her file and see that they been notified, end of story.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

I see people having open discussions about how to avoid taxes in Ireland all the time. I've been advised to *not* pay taxes by, well, pretty much everyone I've talked to.

I'm not at all surprised a large number of people are lying on their forms. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Abi wrote: »
    While I agree with you on the nothing to hide front, the woman in my brothers case dislikes my brother and his girlfriend, and is constantly looking for ways to make trouble for them. Another incident was when she called the ISPCA and told them their dog was neglected. Couldn't be further from the truth, the dog is treated like a king.

Another time she rang the gardai and told them that they were selling drugs, which again is another porkie. I expect the next phone call will be to child protection to accuse them of abusing their kids. She's just an interfering aul bat. Some people go out of their way to make trouble for others. Every time someone lands on the doorstep to do with her latest fairy story they've to go through the embaressment of having to deal with it.

Jaysus, I hate people like that!

If I was your brother i'd enjoy getting back at her A LOT!

K-9 wrote: »
    Yeah, in your example though all they'd do is check her file and see that they been notified, end of story.

Ah of course yeah. One look at her file and they'd see she's linked to his PPS and sharing the gaff etc.

My angle was moreso about how malicious some people can be, daz all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

ziggy23 wrote: »
    As far as I know, I may be wrong though, a lone parent can have a partner stay over 3 nights a week. Does anybody know if this is right? (not for myself btw:P)

Yeah, i'd say you could have some one stay over. "No service charges" :pac:

I'd safely say if you had an inspection and there were any signs of mens clothes in the wardrobes or signs of you and a partner living together then your benefit would be stopped if you claimed not to have a partner living with you.

I'm seperated, working though thank God and i seriously dont know how people cope. It's not just the financial worry, it's the people who think they are a class above ya. Well ya know what, Class doesnt come with a marriage licence, or a 40hr a weeks job (i know because ive had both and not a classy bone in me body :pac:) any way, what im saying is, people need to look at helping each other out and stop trying to bring each other down, raise up, not rip apart.

People are angry, but more pain, more suffering wont make it better, especially where there are children involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

gcgirl wrote: »
    30 k is excessive

is it? what sorta figures is correct then?

pre last years budget, mary hanifin advised that we were spending over 1billion in lone partent allowance. thats 90,000 people, receiving 12,000euro each.

on to that, another billion plus euro is spend on social, rent and other payments to single parents. that works out at 24k, on average per person. now, i am not sure if that covers child benifit, i dont think it does.

60% of those people have supplemental income such as part time job, others receive maintainance. so i would think 30k is a good base. some may get 15k, some may get 45k.

since then, i think there has been a cut of about 8 euro a week and then changes to rent allowance this year so maybe a grand or two can be knocked off that.

my main issue, is the state should not be paying for a child. that is the job of BOTH parents. all fathers should be paying this instead of the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,274 ✭✭✭✭K-9

is it? what sorta figures is correct then?

pre last years budget, mary hanifin advised that we were spending over 1billion in lone partent allowance. thats 90,000 people, receiving 12,000euro each.

on to that, another billion plus euro is spend on social, rent and other payments to single parents. that works out at 24k, on average per person. now, i am not sure if that covers child benifit, i dont think it does.

60% of those people have supplemental income such as part time job, others receive maintainance. so i would think 30k is a good base. some may get 15k, some may get 45k.

since then, i think there has been a cut of about 8 euro a week and then changes to rent allowance this year so maybe a grand or two can be knocked off that.

my main issue, is the state should not be paying for a child. that is the job of BOTH parents. all fathers should be paying this instead of the state.

Unmarried Dads are only liable for child maintenance, not the upkeep of the mother. Divorced parents would be different.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭HovaBaby

All this about the partner living in the house while Ma claims single parent's allowance will be stopped. If not this year, next year. The government knows it is going on, it is rampant, they could afford it during the boom.

But i've a felling it will be ironed out soon.

• is it? what sorta figures is correct then?

Here are some statistics:

Key facts about one-parent families in Ireland:

• 1 in 8 people in Ireland live in a one-parent family (Census 2006).
    • 1 in 6 families in Ireland is a one-parent family (Census 2006.)
    • Nearly half a million people live in one-parent families (Census 2006).
    • The number of one-parent families increased by 35,350 since 2002 (Census 2006)
    • The number of lone-parent families with children under 18 years of age increased by 41% between 2002 and 2006.
    • 14 per cent of one-parent families are headed by a father (Census 2006).
    • 1 in 5 children live in a one-parent family (Census 2006).
    • 8% of one-parent families have a child with a disability compared to 5% of two-parent families
    • There are 190,000 one-parent families in Ireland today – 18 per cent of all families (Census 2006).
    • One-parent families are at greater risk of poverty than most other families. You are 4.5 times more likely to live in poverty if you live in a one-parent family (EU-SILC 2006).
    • 10 per cent of one-parent families are living ‘with other persons’ (Census 2006).
    • Overall in 2006, 36 per cent of lone parents were single, 30 per cent were separated or divorced and 29 per cent were widowed.

Key Facts about the One-Parent Family Payment:

• 84,364 people are currently receiving the One-Parent Family Payment (December 2007). This has increased from 59,000 in 1997.
    • 76.7% of current recipients are unmarried; 11.7% separated; 7.6% divorced; 3% deserted
    • 98% of recipients are women
    • 60% of those receiving the OPFP are in employment
    • 58% of recipients have one child; 27% have two children; 10% have three children
    • The percentage of OPFP recipients under 30 years of age is falling (41.6%)
    • The percentage of OPFP recipients over 30 is increasing (currently 58.4%)
    • The number of teenage mothers fell from 4.4% in 1997 to 2.2% in 2007
    • 29, 600 OPFP recipients (35%) are on reduced personal rate due to income- vast majority down to earnings
    Interesting to note that at the last census less than 50% of all single parent families were claiming any benefits at all, and 60% of those who were, were already in employment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

K-9 wrote: »
    Unmarried Dads are only liable for child maintenance, not the upkeep of the mother. Divorced parents would be different.
    And the mothet "upkeep" her bloody self. Only in this country are you spoon fed so bloody much its not worth their while gettinga a job

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ttmac

I have spent the past year investigating claimants of the One Parent Family Tax Credit and the One Parent Family Allowance where I suspect that individuals have been cohabiting.

Claiming these reliefs/benefits while cohabiting is fraud, whatever way you look at it or try to justify it. I would encourage anyone with information to report it, I do.

The way I look at is, how long would I have to work to generate the tax that these fraudsters are claiming. How long would you have to work to pay a one parent family allowance claim? Remember, you're the one working, and the claimant is quite probably getting a a hell of a lot more than you are for very little effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

Its a very hard subject, i have experience and i know of people really struggling. I don't know of any one parent family who is rich to be honest and i truly think that some imaginative thinking needs to be done on the subject. I mean what do people consider cohabiting? Can a father not see there son or daughter? The way its set up at the moment is that its benifical for the one parent mother or father to get rid to claim! Bascially the government are pro non-relationship parenting! They got to look at it the other way, a lot of the replays have been, "convict them the criminals", "there loaded and there scamming the government", the government has to look at each case individually and where they are actually scamming do something about that. I honestly do think that most family's just surviving now, barely hanging on and i do think a fresher approach rather "then the your scamming cut off there payments" will work. People are afraid and being afraid brings hate and noncooperation. Now on the other hand there is a certain ethnic minority who are completely taking the piss and not only scamming the government but scamming every one around them. So if we could start there and work are wy through that be great. :pac::p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Pherekydes wrote: »
    What's this 'we' shíte?

I was born in 1960 and I never heard of any of this stuff until it came out in the '90s.

repressing memories for 30 years were you?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 brendan1983

Owryan wrote: »
    If you know it for a fact then report them.

What happens if the father is reported on for living with the girl he had the child to and she is claiming single parent benefits.. Is he made to pay back the money she was getting to bring the child up because the state has paid to raise his child while he was still living with the child's mother ..

• Registered Users Posts: 29 brendan1983

ttmac wrote: »
    I have spent the past year investigating claimants of the One Parent Family Tax Credit and the One Parent Family Allowance where I suspect that individuals have been cohabiting.

Claiming these reliefs/benefits while cohabiting is fraud, whatever way you look at it or try to justify it. I would encourage anyone with information to report it, I do.

The way I look at is, how long would I have to work to generate the tax that these fraudsters are claiming. How long would you have to work to pay a one parent family allowance claim? Remember, you're the one working, and the claimant is quite probably getting a a hell of a lot more than you are for very little effort.

What happens when these people are caught do they have to repay the money that was claimed

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

What happens when these people are caught do they have to repay the money that was claimed

Hopefully. Along with a nice little fraud conviction to boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod- Ancient thread. Take it to the state benefits forum for better answers. Be sure to read their charter before posting. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=861

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement