Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you dip food into your jar of mustard?

• 06-05-2012 10:22am
    Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

I do. If it's just been opened or is still near the top i will dip chips or goujons right in there. It rules. Try it and get back to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Seems like a good idea if you're the only one eating the mustard and the top of the jar is wide enough.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

That's a big no no.
    It is very unhygienic to dip food into a jar like that.
    You could find yourself coming back to use the mustard a week later only to find your very own set of cultures growing on the top.

On the up side of course, you could find yourself becoming famous for discovering a new life form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

I have the legs from under you if I caught you doing that with my mustard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I do. If it's just been opened or is still near the top i will dip chips or goujons right in there. It rules. Try it and get back to me.

Durty Fecker

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I love rolling up a bit of delicious ham and dipping it into the pot of mustard.

Mustard, mustard, mustard, isn't it great stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I love rolling up a bit of delicious ham and dipping it into the pot of mustard.

Hope you have your own personal mustard pot, because that's nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have wiped it clean with food when it was going to be thrown out. I would never dip in new, especially stuff like ham. You are cross contaminating with food with a short shelf life. If you go sticking this ham contaminated mustard in a normal press then its even worse.

Reminds me of a mate of mine who worked in a deli in a supermarket, I asked him to get me a bag of some southern fried chicken floury spice mix. I had been using it and weeks later I was looking in the bag and pulled out some hard chicken skin. They had been dipping the raw chicken right in this big bag of flour/spices kept at room temperature. Sickening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 rmoyles

Bad idea use a spoon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Beruthiel wrote: »
    That's a big no no.
    It is very unhygienic to dip food into a jar like that.
    You could find yourself coming back to use the mustard a week later only to find your very own set of cultures growing on the top.

On the up side of course, you could find yourself becoming famous for discovering a new life form.

I thought you said "your own set of Culchies" :o

21/25

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Careful now.
    I'm one of those 'culchies' of which you speak.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

I don't do it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 jigital

No. If you dip something into a jar of food, be it mustard, mayonnaise or honey, you are generally reducing the shelf life of it to that of whatever you dipped in it.

Advertisement