Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tired of paying 29.99€ for 12 protein bars ? TRY THIS!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Hi, great post, just wondering how there would look or taste if I used strawberry whey protein? Still have half a tub and want to try make these at the weekend! Has anybody tried it?

I made them with Strawberry whey - they are quite sweet, I'm not sure if the chocolate ones are the same

I still love them !

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

I made them with tiny marshmallows- not many, maybe just 4-5 per bar or thereabouts. As previously stated, no extra nutrional value in the 'mallows, but they make the eating experience very pleasant, makes it very rocky-road-esque!!

They're bloody divine, i think we all owe muffinn some serious e-high5s ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Muirgheal

Am going to try my next batch using hazelnut butter- should work out ok I think.

Thank you Muffinn!

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

Muirgheal wrote: »
    Am going to try my next batch using hazelnut butter- should work out ok I think.

Thank you Muffinn!

interesting.. report back. i have almond butter at home actually, apparently it's a slightly higher protein count than peanut butter although not quite as tasty

the variations are endless really, which is why it's such a great recipe.. hazelnuts themselves would be lovely too, crushed up. nyom nyom

have mine in greaseproof paper at home in the fridge, ate one of them yest eve, was like a scene from 'when harry met sally':D

Wonkagirl, I would never have thought of using hazelnuts instead of the almonds- mmmm

(They are very "Harry met Sally"ish!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭dynamot

muffinn wrote: »
    The nutritional breakdown is pretty much the same for both maple syrup and honey, except maple syrup is more watery so it has little less calories. Also it has significant amount of manganese among some other minerals and of course maple flavour beats honey :D

It's really up to you what you prefer.

would agave nectar work instead? I heard it is a better alternative to honey/maple syrup

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Is molasses not just another name for treacle or what are the differences?

Molasses is black unrefined sugar with a treacle texture. It's actually pretty nutritious but it's still sugar and I wouldn't go nuts on it if I was trying to lose weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Just tried making a batch this evening. Tastes good but one problem - they are very sticky!

I followed the recipe to a T. Might be the whey or PB I'm using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

best recipe ever - just after tucking into one of the bars....was very sticky so probably needs less water...used organic Manuka honey instead of maple syrup and had no flax seeds but will play around to get a better consistency...

Thanks again

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

You could dip them in desiccated coconut in order to remedy the stickiness.

• Advertisement

Update on hazelnut version- v. delish!!!

I crushed the nuts a bit so that there are finer pieces through the bars.

Just an update...

For my latest batch - I dissolved some sugar free jelly into hot water and used that instead of plain water - it seems to make them stick together better. I also rolled them in desecrated coconut ( Thanks Temple_Grandin ) as well as swapping 50% of the oats with coconut too. They are much easier to handle as a result.

Some almonds and some hazelnuts - these things are too delish!

I hope muffin doesn't mind me posting changes to their original ( wonderful ) recipe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Ta Rob... nah I'm sure a low carb version is also appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭LavaLamp

just made my first batch of these using Strawberry Hemp protein and "very nutty museli" as my variations on the recipie - it's in the freezer, can't wait to try :D

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭muffinn

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Just an update...

For my latest batch - I dissolved some sugar free jelly into hot water and used that instead of plain water - it seems to make them stick together better. I also rolled them in desecrated coconut ( Thanks Temple_Grandin ) as well as swapping 50% of the oats with coconut too. They are much easier to handle as a result.

Some almonds and some hazelnuts - these things are too delish!

I hope muffin doesn't mind me posting changes to their original ( wonderful ) recipe ?

Not at all. Go ahead guys and post your own modifications. I'll be trying them out as well :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

Anybody else made these lately?

Hows they get on?

Might look into making them over the weekend if I get a chance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

Tried to make these there, as per the original instructions in the first post.

An absolute disaster, real sticky, your hands get covered in it too and trying to get it into the freezer back is impossible, won't be trying these again.

jeeze - sorry to hear that...

I made a fresh batch last night - took less than 10 mins + freeze time, they are cracking tasty and packed full of goodness!

perhaps try them with the jelly and some desecrated coconut ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

desecrated coconut lol.

desecrated coconut lol.

Ha ha - I keep doing that - I must have some weird urge to violate a poor coconut :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Does the protein one uses matter?
    I used USN strawberry and disaster. I had to use a tesco plastic bag and turn the bowl into it and using the inside of the bag, slide it around trying to get all the goop out. As a result, there are parts of the mix all over the inside of the bag and most of it wont budge. I still lobbed it into the freezer though to get something out of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Bit of a variation here. More cookies than bars I'd say. This is lower carb and a bit more work but sounds great.

Fairly famous fitness instructor Damien Maher published it in a newspaper a few years ago.

Cook in a lasagne dish and cover the bottom with greaseproof paper.
    Keep covered in tin-foil and the last few minutes take it off and keep cooking it for a
    few more minutes.

1/2 cup Pecans - ground
    1/2 cup walnuts - ground
    1/3 cup Linseeds - ground
    1/3 cùp nut butter spread (just once it's a different flavour to the other two nuts)
    4-6 eggs
    touch of salt
    Dried Cranberries or a 1/3 cup or Honey or spoon of drinking chocolate powder
    6 scoops of protein (casein is preferred, but whey will do)

Mix in a bowl, place on a olive oil coated baking tray and bake for 15-20 on 175
    degrees.

Voila!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Macaroon bars

4 egg whites
    100gms dessicated coconut
    50gms ground almonds
    chopped dried fruit of your choice (i used finely chopped figs and mango) - i used about 25gms
    Tspn Vanilla essence
    Pinch or 2 of sea salt
    tbls cocoa powder
    Tspn sweetner of choice

Whip the egg whites and vanilla essence until they thicken a little/form peaks
    Fold and mix well with all the dry ingredients and let to sit for 5min
    On a baking tray (with the greased paper), shape into 6 bars
    Cook for about 12-15 on 180-200.

Done. Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Limousine Fred

Hey guys gonna try this recipe tomorrow!
    Where's the best/cheapest place to get ground flaxseed?
    I know holland & barrett and dunnes do it but it's pretty expensive.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

These are great thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 PixelPure

Great post thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sammye333

I have been making these bars the last 4 weeks.
    The first attempt was a bit sticky but then just started using a spoon to mix.
    Have to say that they are really simple to make and are great snack.
    I usually eat two a day.
    They are keeping my sweet cravings away. I AM A JELLY SWEET "ADDICT":D

Thank you to the original poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Limousine Fred

Made my first batch yesterday, really sticky and still soft in the fridge.
    200ml of water must be too much, not too bad taste wise (no snickers though)

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Locust

Just made a batch of the OP recipe - with flaxseed/goji berries for that 'superfood' kick...
    (this stuff - can't remember where i got it - it was pricey enough though)
    http://www.evergreen.ie/linwoods-milled-flaxseed--goji-berries/003046pd.aspx
    Great idea for those on shift work/irregular routine etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sammye333

LIMOUSINE FRED. I keep mine in the freezer and take out an hour before eating. I bought some plastic containers and just put one in for my drive to work. :D

Advertisement