Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guild Wars 2

• 20-08-2009 1:14pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So, the debut trailer has been released for this. Having never played the first one, i cant say much about it, but this trailer looks very nice. Graphically its fantastic, and the art design is pretty damn cool.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gc-09-guild-wars-2/54628

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Guild Wars is great, I'm pretty much right at the start of it though but I'm enjoying what little of it I can fit in. I think Guild Wars stands out due to it's art direction and style, and Guild Wars 2 looks to build upon that. I can't get over how good all the new MMO's look. I think that the story sounds a bit weird though - ancient dragons that live under the sea only to rise up against everyone? They sure as hell look awesome though.

Guild Wars 2 is confirmed subscription free as well so happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Guild wars was my first mmo so it has a place in my heart.

Was really addicted to the game for a year or so.
    The PvP was great, arena styled and not about lvls or gear just player skill and the skills you chose and teamwork. The PvE was good too and there was an actual story to follow.

The fact it was a one time payment and no monthly fee was pretty great as you didnt feel pressure to play and could take a break whenever. I sure got my moneys worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Nihilist21

Oh my, from the trailer it's going to be exactly what the majority of the community is hoping for.
    Spunge wrote: »
    Guild wars was my first mmo so it has a place in my heart.

Was really addicted to the game for a year or so.
    The PvP was great, arena styled and not about lvls or gear just player skill and the skills you chose and teamwork. The PvE was good too and there was an actual story to follow.

The fact it was a one time payment and no monthly fee was pretty great as you didnt feel pressure to play and could take a break whenever. I sure got my moneys worth.

I can resonate with this, played it heavily for a good 2 years - I think my main character has something like 10'000 hours. I quit about a year ago though, the trailer has made me want to take a look back though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

Not a great idea releasing info about this around the same time Blizzard reveal details on their new expansion, as most of the WoW fanboi's will instantly dismiss it...

but holy crap this looks amazing.

I always loved guild wars, for what it did for pvp. My only issues were that it seemed too flimsy and superficial. Guild Wars 2 looks like a more robust MMO and if it keeps the core ideas from Guild Wars then it should go a long way, at least in my book.
    Cant wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

Nihilist21 wrote: »
    I can resonate with this, played it heavily for a good 2 years - I think my main character has something like 10'000 hours.

10,000/24 - 416.6 days! out of 730! gtfo :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Assmaster_Kronk

I'm watchin this one pretty closely, already ordered Aion before i saw the trailer for this and the games look uncomfortably similar, NCsoft might regret releasing a free to play MMO so soon after their "revolutionary" pay-monthly MMO:(

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Nihilist21

Samurai wrote: »
    10,000/24 - 416.6 days! out of 730! gtfo :pac:

I played it heavily for 2 years, however in total I played for just over 3. So in actual fact it was 416 days out of about 1'200 days, that sounds so much better now doesn't it.... *cough*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

I'm wondering about it... by the time it comes out I will be married... if I have free time (LOL! prolly not due to having animalistic sex :pac:)
    mgiht try it with the missus and a few friends..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭bnt

There's a new GW2 video out, introducing the races and their styles. Hopefully, by the time it comes out, I'll be able to afford a new PC and have the time for that ... :cool:

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Roll on the Asura! Technomancy!
    Also, anyone who's played and the Eye of the North expansion
    the ending cinematic sets up a lot of hints as to what happens in GW2, so it may be worth finishing!
    <Not a storyline spoiler but..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭brainiac

Ivan wrote: »
    Not a great idea releasing info about this around the same time Blizzard reveal details on their new expansion, as most of the WoW fanboi's will instantly dismiss it...

but holy crap this looks amazing.

I always loved guild wars, for what it did for pvp. My only issues were that it seemed too flimsy and superficial. Guild Wars 2 looks like a more robust MMO and if it keeps the core ideas from Guild Wars then it should go a long way, at least in my book.
    Cant wait.

It was already announced as in production about a yar and a half back. Just happened to be the first official trailers.

I stil play Guild Wars these days, have it almost 3 years with breaks in between. Still love farming, cant wait for 2 ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

Oh my god, i loved Guild Wars, definitely my favourite MMO after SWG.

The races trailer left me very confused. Tyria is a different world yes? But wasnt a region called Kryta in the first one? Also Charr are a race from the first one no? (but oh my god theyre playable :D so happy)

I cant wait for GW2. But some bad points, the art style is lacking. Ok i dont see how they could surpass the first games art, but it was the heavy asian influence to the fantasy world that set it apart.
    This is just looking ah a little generic apart from the huge headed little people.

I really hope they leave the pvp format well alone HOH and the guild battles are the best mmo pvp ever imo. I really enjoyed the casual PVE in the first game too, it was fun and it got me all the skills i needed to pvp so there was reward in it without hours and hours of grinding :).

Edit: ah its the same world just 250 years forward.

Here's a video about the in-game voices, showing the artists behind them. They're scoring quite a bit of geek cred by getting Felicia Day (Dollhouse, The Guild, Dr. Horrible) to do the main Asura character.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I tested the origional and while I liked it my friends didnt so I never got too into it afetr release, this looks even better though.

In the last few days, there have been several bits of news about GW2, via the new ArenaNet blog. One interesting development in the Design Manifesto is the way Spells will work: you'll have five general spells + 5 weapon-specific spells. They also say the PvE experience will be more interactive e.g. you'll stumble on other parties doing their own things, or hear rumblings from far away ...

PS to answer a previous question: Tyria is both the name of the world and a continent on it. This is because the continent was the "world" of the original GW Prophecies, but then they figured out that they needed more continents for the sequels. The other continents are Cantha (Factions) and Elona (Nightfall).

Kryta is the region of Tyria where players of the original GW end up after crossing the Shiverpeaks. It's also the scene of the Bonus Missions and the Eye Of The North expansion. All recent storylines are set there, including those setting up the GW2 storyline, such as the Shining Blade / White Mantle War.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭CelticDemon

Guild Wars ,

Now theres a blast from the past for me.
    Was actually my first mmo *tear wellowing in eye*.
    Will check out the new one.Am looking for something good to get
    back into.
    Too much MW2 and BFBC2 has my head wrecked:(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Warrior gameplay video was released recently. Actually looks really nice.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-guild-wars-2/101100

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Looks very nice.
    Didnt like GW at all, always felt like a single player game.
    Questing in the world was a lonely experience and just seemed like a poor mans mmo.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Dcully wrote: »
    just seemed like a poor mans mmo.

it was, hense the freeness.

They have to instance the world as they literally cant afford to upkeeper hardware and servers to allow everyone running together in an interactive world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Is it me or does it just look like aion to much even the combat looks like aion's. :confused:

• Advertisement

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

ah guild wars... I played that for a long time with a group of folks from ireland. An cullacht.

This does look fantastic i must saw but guild wars itself was boring to me and it was the social side that kept my interest

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Blue Badger

ah I really love GW1, and I can't wait for 2 to come out. Got pcgamer magazine today and read the piece on it. From what they're saying about the new way questing will be done it going to be amazing! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Just read that article too, sounds great. Will be a massive pain for them to get it working well as after 10 minutes I know someone will have found a way to glitch/ exploit it.

Also, the way they manage abilities and how you gain new skills by travelling the world hunting masters and lost tomes and such, a lot better than hiting rats for 27 hours until the blue bar goes to the top and you learn how to rain fire from the sky somehow???

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Blue Badger

I'm still not sure about the new skill-bar changes. I'm wondering if they'll have made it too simple, which I think will take a lot away from the game :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Bobzer77

Ivan wrote: »

Did they release the trailer when Blizzard revealed details about cataclysm or did Blizzard start talking when GW2 got some attention :rolleyes:

Damn that was a good video. If nothing else, their game world looks amazing. I'm not gonna get too psyched about it, as i've been bitterly disappointed by MMO's too many times before, but i'll remain quietly optimistic about this one.

Kiith wrote: »
    Damn that was a good video. If nothing else, their game world looks amazing. I'm not gonna get too psyched about it, as i've been bitterly disappointed by MMO's too many times before, but i'll remain quietly optimistic about this one.

Quietly optimistic is my stance too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Bulktohulk

Going to be playing this during the week. I'll be sure to have videos and impressions up for you as soon as possible.

Advertisement