Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

You CANNOT travel to the UK with a driving licence on ryanair. It states this clearly during the booking process, and on the online check-in. They only accept passports or EU identity cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Why do you say that Etho? Its in their terms and conditions that a drivers license with photo id is fine.
    Once you are going between Britain and Ireland only and once you are an Irish Citizen.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

A drivers licence used to be ok, but didnt the law on passports between UK and Ireland change recently, requiring passports to be used?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Oryx wrote: »
    A drivers licence used to be ok, but didnt the law on passports between UK and Ireland change recently, requiring passports to be used?
    Yep, afaik. My brother went over last week and they had to fill out one of those advance passenger information forms, along with passport type & number.

Actually, according to Aer Lingus:
    Irish passengers travelling to the U.K. or within the UK are not required to carry their passport however it is still required to bring either a passport or some form of official photo identification when travelling to or within the U.K. You will often have to produce your passport when registering at hotels or cashing travellers cheques.
    I imagine the change that was made was this "advance passenger info" requirement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Oh dear...now look at what I`ve started :)

A current valid Driving Licence IS acceptable as Photo ID with Ryanair for travel within the Common Travel Area which exists between the Republic and the UK.
    This agreement is currently under review in the light of pending EU wide changes in travel documentation.

However my conundrum is simpler,its down to which box should be checked in Ryanair`s process to indicate a Driving Licence preference....I`m trying to avoid a situation whereby some functionary swoops on a wrongly checked Box and demands a pound of flesh (or a gallon of fuel) as a penalty :D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Mr.S wrote: »
    Oh really? :rolleyes:

/im assuming the OP's friend is Irish.

I don't get the logic in this, if you're travelling between Ireland and Britain you don't need a passport, unless you're 'foreign', in which case you do. But how do they know you're foreign unless you prove it with your passport? Particularly if you have an Irish driving license which probably doesn't mention your nationality.

So tick the 'not' box.

Actually your drivers license DOES have your nationality on it. Mine says Irish, my wife's provisional says USA.

As for the box, tick no passport as he does not have one. The only difference it probably makes is when checking in online.. I think you can only do that with an Irish passport number, with no passport you need to check in at the desk and give the ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Right - i'm flying to Edinburgh on Saturday with Ryanair.

I just printed out my boarding pass and it says clearly on it: "DRIVING LICENCE NOT ACCEPTED (as identification).

Is it just certain airports that won't accept a driving licence as ID?

OP your best bet is to contact Ryanair this minute and ask them. Tell them their website says a drivers license is ok but you have heard that other people have boarding passes that say its not ok.

If he needs a passport and thats all there is to it, then i hope its not for a good few weeks. Get him to use the quick option, i think an post does it.

Here: http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Personal+Customers/Wizards/Get+a+passport/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

The answer,as usual lies buried deep......
    It seems the key is in the use of on-line check in.
    Presently it will only accept Passport/Identity Cards as vaildators.
    So...anybody travelling on a Driving Licence MUST check in at Airport Desk...Oh well....I`ve just paid for the on-line element which won`t be used. :o

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭lynchie

Its quite simple...

For UK travel

Ryanair
    Online Checkin - Only Passport / National ID card
    Checkin at Desk - Passport, Drivers License, National ID card

Aerlingus
    Online Checkin - Passport, Drivers License, National ID Card
    Checkin at desk - Passport, Drivers License, National ID Card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Online checkin requires a passport ????

Since when ?
    I never used my Passport with KLM, Ryanair or Aerlingus. Just the flight confirmation number.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

craichoe wrote: »
    Online checkin requires a passport ????

Since when ?
    I never used my Passport with KLM, Ryanair or Aerlingus. Just the flight confirmation number.
    For Ryanair? Since always.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

MrPudding wrote: »
    For Ryanair? Since always.

MrP

When do they check your passport?

Online checking i just go through security and show my boarding card at the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Online checking i just go through security and show my boarding card at the other side.

So what have you been using as photo ID at boarding? Security has always checked the passport number printed on my boarding card against that on my passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I honestly cannot remember but im pretty sure they check your passport against the name on the online checkin printout at the gate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

axer wrote: »
    I honestly cannot remember but im pretty sure they check your passport against the name on the online checkin printout at the gate.

+1 normally look close enough too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

They always seem to check that the name, passport number, expiry date etc correspond to the boarding pass. It's done at the departure gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Just noticing there are four threads in the forum in the last two weeks devoted to Ryanair. Quite the achievement by our nation's young airline - certainly one of the consumer issues forum's 'most popular' :D companies to discuss.

Let's use this thread to make your comments, ask your questions, rant and praise. At the very least it'll provide a source of information to passengers and potential passengers. I'll update this first post over time with any advice and a FAQ (as subsequent posts in the thread provide this advice)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

My friend was getin a flight to the uk there last weekend. On the board his flight number said departing from Gate X so he wont down to gate X and said boarding Barcelona. He was waiting for 45minutes and than that flight left and up popped on the board london now boarding so he walked up with his ticket and they said oh that flight has already left. He said well on the board there is says boarding. The rep oh ya theres a problem with that, its the other way round we are boarding barcelona, the other flight was london. He said how was i suppose to know that, i didnt hear an announcement. She replies sorry theres nothing I can do. He went over to the help desk and they said we can put u on another flight in an hour but will cost you 250euro. What the f**k???? Thats a disgrace, thats robbery!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

He didn't hear the call so its ryanairs fault

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭jhegarty

How is that anything to do with ryainair... his complaint should be with the daa (assuming is dublin)

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

it was ryanairs flight, he paid ryanair for it so if he missed his flight because of them than his complaint should be with them. The Daa I would have assumed would do with control within airport.

Blue_Wolf wrote: »
    it was ryanairs flight, he paid ryanair for it so if he missed his flight because of them than his complaint should be with them. The Daa I would have assumed would do with control within airport.

DAA run the airport, ie. the faulty display which caused him to miss the flight...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I cannot understand how the flight was not called out over the intercom or why the guy didnt ask someone whilst the flight was boarding if it was boarding around the time he should be boarding.

axer wrote: »
    I cannot understand how the flight was not called out over the intercom or why the guy didnt ask someone whilst the flight was boarding if it was boarding around the time he should be boarding.

And why only person was left behind ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

don't they usally call out passenger names that haven't boarded yet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

i think ryanair should compensate him, but ryanair should be compensated by DAA.

must have been so annoying though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

jhegarty wrote: »
    And why only person was left behind ?

+1, how come everyone else got on the plane?

Theres some very big airports worldwide that don't announce anything and its up to you to ensure you get on your flight.

Advertisement