Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Porridge versus eggs

• 20-03-2012 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi what do you think would be a healthier breakfast for you?

1-2 hard boiled eggs or a bowl of porridge?
    Would alternating them throughout the week be better for you then eating the same breakfast?
    What are peoples opinion of both?

We used to always eat cereal for breakfast but havent ate cereal since November after hearing of how bad it is for you!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

You dont have to stop at hard boiling an egg, poach, scramble....

Some smoked salmon and scramble eggs is an option also....

I alternate what you have asked during the week, some days I have porridge with some blueberries and nuts in it...Anything is better than cereal...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The choice between porridge or eggs in the morning is not the issue in anyones diet.
    Neither is better than the other. One provides more protein, the other more quality carbs.

Why does it even have to be one of the other. Tomorrow i'm going to have oat pancakes made with porridge milk and eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Mellor wrote: »
    The choice between porridge or eggs in the morning is not the issue in anyones diet.
    Neither is better than the other. One provides more protein, the other more quality carbs.

Why does it even have to be one of the other. Tomorrow i'm going to have oat pancakes made with porridge milk and eggs.

Eggs are better as they are more nutritious and have none of the anti-nutrients that are found in oats (phytates, lectins, protease inhibitors etc....) though if you soak oats overnight you can lesson the aniti-nutrient burden

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

Personally, I changed from oats to eggs (scrambled, poached, omelettes, boiled) in the morning over a year ago and feel and look better for it. Oats/porridge used to give me heartburn, as well as leave me feel bloated.

Only my opinion/experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

4 Eggs + Big bowl of porridge w/milk + 2 scoops of protein = breakfast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Da Za wrote: »

For who? a bodybuilder/weightlifter ? That's far too much for a regular person looking for a healthy breakfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭gud4u

Da Za wrote: »

Jaysus, i'd be as big as a house:D

Would 2 eggs, boiled, poached etc and i slice of multiseed bread be ok for someone who needs to lose weight and has slightly raised cholesterol.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

That's what I have and obviously it isn't for everyone.

Couple of eggs and toast would suffice for someone wanting to lose weight and a coffee.

Stay away from simple sugars like white bread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I'd stay away from bread full stop but that's just me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭eire-kp

Mellor wrote: »

I tried this today and it didnt turn out great, I blended 60g of oats added in 150ml of full fat milk (had no low fat) and an egg. I mixed it all in the morning. They didnt taste great had a very dry texture.

Do you soak the milk oats overnight or leave the whole batter overnight or would the milk make a difference?
    Must attempt round 2 in the morning! Other wise it will be back to eggs!
    I assume Jordans museli is not great as a possible alternative?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I soak the whole mixture over night.

I find that I need to have the pan very hot so they keep a good shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

cojomo2 wrote: »
    For who? a bodybuilder/weightlifter ? That's far too much for a regular person looking for a healthy breakfast.
    Why?

The eggs are about 280 cals, the oats maybe 220cals, 2 scoops of whey is 200 cals. So roughly 700 calories.

A similar sized breakfast and dinner would put you at 2100calories for the day. Thats not too much for most of the population
    eire-kp wrote: »
    I tried this today and it didnt turn out great, I blended 60g of oats added in 150ml of full fat milk (had no low fat) and an egg. I mixed it all in the morning. They didnt taste great had a very dry texture.

Do you soak the milk oats overnight or leave the whole batter overnight or would the milk make a difference?
    Must attempt round 2 in the morning! Other wise it will be back to eggs!
    I assume Jordans museli is not great as a possible alternative?

My method.
    70g oats in a blender, blitz for 20 seconds and into bowl (makes cleaning easier)
    1 egg
    100ml milk
    Mix.

Into a hot pan. I serve with a tiny spread of butter, or lemon.

Sometimes I leave it over night to thicken, but not usually. If it is too thick in the morning I add another egg or a dash of milk.

This morning I took it a different direction.
    I made what I can only call Oat & Egg McMuffins. Was excellant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭eire-kp

I had another go today...turned out perfect:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

You don't have to have one or the other. I like to mix it up. This morning I had porridge with some pineapple chunks, yesterday had some wholewheat bread with light cheese and the day before smoked salmon with poached eggs. Don't tie yourself to having the same breakfast every single day or you'll just get bored. In saying that, if I know I have a long day ahead I find porridge a good one for slow release energy so I guess suss out what you need to do that day and base it around that! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Eggs are better as they are more nutritious and have none of the anti-nutrients that are found in oats (phytates, lectins, protease inhibitors etc....) though if you soak oats overnight you can lesson the aniti-nutrient burden
    Raw egg white contains avidin, which blocks biotin absorption. Sufficient cooking deactivates it, so it's not an issue with hardboiled eggs such as in the context of the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Raw egg white contains avidin, which blocks biotin absorption. Sufficient cooking deactivates it, so it's not an issue with hardboiled eggs such as in the context of the OP.

How many people eat raw egg whites for brekkie though?!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

How many people eat raw egg whites for brekkie though?!:)
    Well I mentioned it more as an aside, but it can still be there, depending how the eggs are cooked. Frying on a low heat makes nice eggs, but might not be great at deactivating avidin for example.

The thermal stability and biotin binding activity of avidin are of both practical and theoretical interest to researchers, as avidin's stability is unusually high and avidin is an antinutrient in human food.[19] A 1966 study published in Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications found that the structure of avidin remains stable at temperatures below 70 °C (158 °F). Above 70 °C (158 °F), avidin's structure is rapidly disrupted and by 85 °C (185 °F), extensive loss of structure and ability to bind biotin is found.[20] A 1991 assay for the Journal of Food Science detected substantial avidin activity in cooked egg white: "mean residual avidin activity in fried, poached and boiled (2 min) egg white was 33, 71 and 40% of the activity in raw egg white." The assay surmised that cooking times were not sufficient to adequately heat all cold spot areas within the egg white. Complete inactivation of avidin's biotin binding capacity required boiling for over 4 minutes.[21]

A 1992 study found that thermal inactivation of the biotin binding activity of avidin was described by D121°C = 25 min and z = 33°C. The study disagreed with prior assumptions "that the binding site of avidin is destroyed on heat denaturation", concluding that protein denaturation was not equivalent to loss of biotin binding activity.[19]

But yeah it's not a factor in hardboiled eggs anyway.

Advertisement