Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lenovo Computer Issue - Advice Needed

• 16-03-2012 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Ok guys, this is going to be a little long but any assistance/advice would greatly be appreciated.

Basically I received a Lenovo B520 All in one computer as a gift from a family member at Christmas. All was working fine until a moth later, where the screen would display a strange mix of colours and crash and reboot.

Being comfortable with computers, I began to troubleshoot the problem and eventually narrowed it down to most likely being a video card failure. It's important to note that I didn't not remove any hardware or the casing or anything like that for the troubleshoot so there are no issues there.

I called customer support and arranged a pick up of the computer, which was to be sent for repair and returned to me within 10 days maximum. It took several calls to ensure a successful pick up but got it sorted eventually.

They sent out a hard shelled plastic box which was lined with substantial padding all over the inside to protect it in transit. The shipping label was for a repair centre in Manchester. Again no problem there.

A week goes by and I ring to check the status of the repair only to be told that it is still ongoing and to give it another week. Fair enough I thought. Same story next time I call.

Following that, I received a letter from them stating that the problem is more than likely a product failure and it must be returned for repair. Enclosed was a shipping label for a repair centre in Germany. Now this set off some alarm bells as the computer was sent to Manchester previously.

So next I call them up again, asking why this letter was sent when my computer was already in their care. They stated that the letter was sent in error and that I'd be updated on the status during that week. Still nothing.

So I call again at least 3 different times to be brushed off. So yesterday I got the details for the Manchester repair centre and called them up. They admitted having received it, but it was no longer with them. The woman on the phone stated that it was sent to another repair centre in Manchester that deals with Lenovo and she'd passed my details on them and they would call me back later that day.

I then asked her for the details of this other centre so I could contact them myself. She refused for no apparent reason. I said fine and left it there.

At this point, I felt my only option was to threaten legal action so I called up the customer support line and spoke to an agent I had been onto previously.

I stated I wanted to know the location of my computer, the status of repair and the date I will have it back. If I didn't get that info I would instigate legal proceedings on Monday in order to retrieve my computer.

Instantly, the agent was able to bring up all the details. He told me it was in the German repair centre and that they're waiting on a part. I ask him what parts is he referring to. He then states it's a screen. So I ask him why is it a screen as it's a video card problem.

He states that there was a huge crack on the screen and that they would be sending me a quote for repair. I stated that there was nothing wrong with the screen at all when sent and that it must have happened at their end or in transit and this was unacceptable. Furthermore, I questioned him on the quote as it has a 3 year warranty and he said a cracked screen is not covered under that.

The screen was in perfect condition when it was sent away and now I'm possibly going to be billed for their errors. I took his name, requested his managers name but he would not provide his managers contact details or put me through to him. I told him that I will begin legal proceedings asap and they'll be hearing from me soon.

It's an absolute joke at this stage. They've had the machine longer than I have and it's worth over 1K and they almost expected me to forget about it.

So basically I'm wondering how best to proceed with this? The support etc that I dealt with were based in the UK. They do have an Irish operation also but how would I go about bringing them to the small claims court? Would I have to do so in the UK or can I bring the Irish operation to court here? They are the same company after all.

All I really want is my computer back in perfect working order.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

It seems to be ongoing problem with Lenovo Customer Care
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056250434&page=2

Lenovo reps may be able to help you here http://forums.lenovo.com/

They are registered in Ireland http://www.solocheck.ie/displayBusinessReport.jsp?busNum=280678

So yes , you can bring them to SCC

Before you do that contact http://www.nca.ie/contact-us just in case .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Jarren wrote: »

They are registered in Ireland http://www.solocheck.ie/displayBusinessReport.jsp?busNum=280678

Thanks Jarren, I'll exhaust all avenues before proceeding with the SCC. I'm also going to ask the Manchester repair centre if the screen was broken when received by them. If not, then it'll prove it was during their care that it was broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Might be a good idea to only make correspondance in writing (email) from now on. You might need it later on. If they don't reply, call them about the emails and ask them to reply by email.

Slydice wrote: »
    Might be a good idea to only make correspondance in writing (email) from now on. You might need it later on. If they don't reply, call them about the emails and ask them to reply by email.

Yes I'm working on that right now. I want to gather as much evidence as possible. My only concern is that I hav no way to 100% prove the screen was not cracked before being sent aside from my friends who helped me pack it.

It's an absolute nightmare scenario, never had customer service like this before.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Ok guys, this is going to be a little long but any assistance/advice would greatly be appreciated.

Basically I received a Lenovo B520 All in one computer as a gift from a family member at Christmas. All was working fine until a moth later, where the screen would display a strange mix of colours and crash and reboot.

Being comfortable with computers, I began to troubleshoot the problem and eventually narrowed it down to most likely being a video card failure. It's important to note that I didn't not remove any hardware or the casing or anything like that for the troubleshoot so there are no issues there.

I called customer support and arranged a pick up of the computer, which was to be sent for repair and returned to me within 10 days maximum. It took several calls to ensure a successful pick up but got it sorted eventually.

They sent out a hard shelled plastic box which was lined with substantial padding all over the inside to protect it in transit. The shipping label was for a repair centre in Manchester. Again no problem there.

A week goes by and I ring to check the status of the repair only to be told that it is still ongoing and to give it another week. Fair enough I thought. Same story next time I call.

Following that, I received a letter from them stating that the problem is more than likely a product failure and it must be returned for repair. Enclosed was a shipping label for a repair centre in Germany. Now this set off some alarm bells as the computer was sent to Manchester previously.

So next I call them up again, asking why this letter was sent when my computer was already in their care. They stated that the letter was sent in error and that I'd be updated on the status during that week. Still nothing.

So I call again at least 3 different times to be brushed off. So yesterday I got the details for the Manchester repair centre and called them up. They admitted having received it, but it was no longer with them. The woman on the phone stated that it was sent to another repair centre in Manchester that deals with Lenovo and she'd passed my details on them and they would call me back later that day.

I then asked her for the details of this other centre so I could contact them myself. She refused for no apparent reason. I said fine and left it there.

At this point, I felt my only option was to threaten legal action so I called up the customer support line and spoke to an agent I had been onto previously.

I stated I wanted to know the location of my computer, the status of repair and the date I will have it back. If I didn't get that info I would instigate legal proceedings on Monday in order to retrieve my computer.

Instantly, the agent was able to bring up all the details. He told me it was in the German repair centre and that they're waiting on a part. I ask him what parts is he referring to. He then states it's a screen. So I ask him why is it a screen as it's a video card problem.

He states that there was a huge crack on the screen and that they would be sending me a quote for repair. I stated that there was nothing wrong with the screen at all when sent and that it must have happened at their end or in transit and this was unacceptable. Furthermore, I questioned him on the quote as it has a 3 year warranty and he said a cracked screen is not covered under that.

The screen was in perfect condition when it was sent away and now I'm possibly going to be billed for their errors. I took his name, requested his managers name but he would not provide his managers contact details or put me through to him. I told him that I will begin legal proceedings asap and they'll be hearing from me soon.

It's an absolute joke at this stage. They've had the machine longer than I have and it's worth over 1K and they almost expected me to forget about it.

So basically I'm wondering how best to proceed with this? The support etc that I dealt with were based in the UK. They do have an Irish operation also but how would I go about bringing them to the small claims court? Would I have to do so in the UK or can I bring the Irish operation to court here? They are the same company after all.

All I really want is my computer back in perfect working order.
    My story is very similar .My problem was either graphics card or motherboard
    or both .I did all the usual bull with lenovo support .So they said it would have to go back .They posted a letter out to me .I then contacted courier.
    It was sent to Germany .I hear nothing so I ring them get nowhere and I insist on a call back from a manager .He tells me that the casing is cracked but as a goodwill measure they will fix it .He said I would have a tracking number in a few days .I hear nothing for a week .I ring again to be told still waiting on a part ie the alledged cracked casing .These guys are unreal .
    As of now they tell me they have a motherboard ,but are waiting on a new
    "casing" .This has gone on now for over a month .

• Advertisement

I tried the lenovo reps ,no help

They're unbelievable alright. I could not believe how quickly he got the details when I mentioned taking them to court. He literally pulled every detail I wanted instantly, yet they could not do it on the previous 6-7 times I spoke to them. Ridiculous carry on.

I've posted on the boards to see if a rep will respond. Going to contact the repair centre in Manchester for info on the condition of the screen when it was received and hopefully I can get that in writing.

Will also draft up a letter to the NCA to get further advice on how to proceed.

From the forums also, it seems this model of computer is nearly impossible to come by as a new one is due soon so it may be difficult to get a replacement unit.

Will update on how things progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Where was the item bought?

You can only bring a case to the scc under the sgas act as a consumer against the retailer. the person who bought the computer may have to do this.
    Do you have access to a receipt or proof of purchase?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Harley Big Mineral

Yes, I too believe the issue is with the retailer if the item was only bought 3 months ago. Have you been in contact with them at all?

Well my relative bought the item through a distributor so I'm not sure if there was a receipt but I'll be in contact with him tomorrow to find out for sure. It's looking a little tricky alright.

The claim they are making of the smashed screen though would have nothing to do with the retailer. The reason I went with the company itself is because I figured since it was bought through a distributor then they'd only direct me to do that anyway.

I've contacted the initial repair centre it was sent to asking them to confirm the condition it was received in. Surely if it was smashed on arrival then I should have been contacted right away?

They knew it was going in for a video card repair only and the package contained a letter stating that. If it arrived with a huge crack in the screen then they surely would have known something was up.

Also the agent on the initial call stated the receipt was not important as by checking the serial he could see it was under warranty until 2015.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Yes, I too believe the issue is with the retailer if the item was only bought 3 months ago. Have you been in contact with them at all?

There is no time limit, the SGSC act does not specify any time limit and but instead refers to the reasonable life of the product. Therefore the issue of the original defect lies with the retailer for an undefined period had the OP requested the retailer to resolve it.
    However the OP has decided by-pass the retailer and go directly to Lenovo. The retailer has no responsibility to resolve the problems with the repair centre.

Ok, so it looks like I'll be able to get a receipt for it so that's that sorted.

I've been in contact with a rep on the support site, and they advised me to call again and file a complaint as basically that'll kick them into gear to actually do something.

I'll also be in contact with the Manchester repair centre to try and confirm the condition the unit was received in. If the cracked screen was present there, then the responsibility falls with DPD I'd imagine.

Also, I've heard that the video card in these machines is very difficult to get at and it's very easy to crack the screen when attempting to replace/access it.

Ok, so it looks like I'll be able to get a receipt for it so that's that sorted.

I've been in contact with a rep on the support site, and they advised me to call again and file a complaint as basically that'll kick them into gear to actually do something.

I'll also be in contact with the Manchester repair centre to try and confirm the condition the unit was received in. If the cracked screen was present there, then the responsibility falls with DPD I'd imagine.

Also, I've heard that the video card in these machines is very difficult to get at and it's very easy to crack the screen when attempting to replace/access it.
    You could be on to something.They now tell me that my casing is cracked ,and they are waiting to get a new one .Also that it took 10 days to fit a new motherboard .Could ya even make this up.

rebeve wrote: »
    You could be on to something.They now tell me that my casing is cracked ,and they are waiting to get a new one .Also that it took 10 days to fit a new motherboard .Could ya even make this up.

Sounds like a nightmare alright. Out of interest, did they provide you with the box in which to ship the computer? I was provided with a large thick plastic box which was completely padded on the inside so I really doubt it broke in transport but it's not entirely impossible.

I'll be giving the centre in Manchester a call in a minute aswell as the Lenovo support centre to file a complaint. I also have a rep from their support site looking into it for me now.

Ok, so I'm just off the phone to both the Manchester repair centre and Lenovo customer care.

The woman I dealt with at the repair centre was incredibly rude and unhelpful. She stated that the computer was sent to another location. I stated that I knew that and I just wanted to know what condition it was received in at their facility as I have proofed that it was delivered there and signed for by a "Garforth".

I asked to speak to this person to find out about the condition of the unit when received, she then stated that he doesn't work there any more and that they are closing down. No help there.

I got on to an agent at Lenovo customer care and she was more helpful. I stated I wished to lodge a complaint and asked to speak to a manager or supervisor but she stated they are not allowed to pass me on to them.

She stated that I can send a written letter, or arrange a call back from a manager. So I took the address and arranged a call back which should occur within 24 hours. I won't hold my breath on it happening though.

I'll also send a registered letter just to prove there has been some correspondence.

I'm going to also contact the NCA later today and see what they think is the best option.

Sounds like a nightmare alright. Out of interest, did they provide you with the box in which to ship the computer? I was provided with a large thick plastic box which was completely padded on the inside so I really doubt it broke in transport but it's not entirely impossible.

I'll be giving the centre in Manchester a call in a minute aswell as the Lenovo support centre to file a complaint. I also have a rep from their support site looking into it for me now.
    No I got no box .Funny thing though, I sent a hard drive back to Aldi last year.
    It was the same support company .Bit of a worry that .

rebeve wrote: »
    No I got no box .Funny thing though, I sent a hard drive back to Aldi last year.
    It was the same support company .Bit of a worry that .

As far as I know, Lenovo recently bought out Medion which might explain the decline.

I'm actually appalled at how inept the customer service has been so far though.

As far as I know, Lenovo recently bought out Medion which might explain the decline.

I'm actually appalled at how inept the customer service has been so far though.
    Right that explains that .When I get my machine ,I dont really expect it to be fixed .I asked them on Monday 19th for phone records,and the manager rang me back in less than 5 minutes .Prior to that 2 days waiting was the usual.

So I received a bill in the post this morning for the screen that they broke.

£105.25 to repair and ship it to me as they say it's not under warranty. It left my home in perfect condition and I have at least 3 people who can attest to that so I'm not going to pay for their problem.

It says I have to reply within 7 days so I sent an email outlining how the charge should not be paid by me as I did not damage the screen and it was in their care when this happened. We'll see how they respond to this.

I can have it returned unrepaired also at a cost of £26.08.

It's an absolute farce to be honest. I'll challenge it as best I can anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭irishdude11

So I received a bill in the post this morning for the screen that they broke.

£105.25 to repair and ship it to me as they say it's not under warranty. It left my home in perfect condition and I have at least 3 people who can attest to that so I'm not going to pay for their problem.

It says I have to reply within 7 days so I sent an email outlining how the charge should not be paid by me as I did not damage the screen and it was in their care when this happened. We'll see how they respond to this.

I can have it returned unrepaired also at a cost of £26.08.

It's an absolute farce to be honest. I'll challenge it as best I can anyway.

Don't be going on the defensive, get stuck into them. Dont waste anymore time, take it to the SCC. I had an issue with a laptop from an online shop and they f*cked me round for months. Once I had enough I lodged a claim with the small claims court and informed them of this...strangely their customer service improved massively at this moment and I had a brand new laptop with a week. And I know for a fact that they had dozens of other customers in the same position as myself...yet I was the one who got sorted out because the others were just moaning on their support forum where I actually went and did something about it. If I ever end up in the same situation again I will not wait half as long before getting the SCC involved.

• Advertisement

This is getting ridiculous. The "manager" just called me back in regards to my email.
    He claims it was received like that and they can do nothing about it. He kept stuttering all over the place and wasn;t able to even put forward a coherent argument in favour.

He said it was received like that and as there was no damage on the box and so it wasn't damaged in transit. Ridiculous and I'm absolutely fuming.

They said it wasn't their fault at all, though I questioned him many times as to why I would have to pay for damage while it was in their care. He didn't have an answer for me and I said I'd bring them to the SCC and no Judge would find in their favour after the ridiculous customer service I received.

He basically said go on then, so I'll be bringing it further just to prove a point. Hard to believe £100 means so much to a huge international company!

Contacting the NCA now to get advice on what to do. Any other advice is greatly appreciated.

Really don't appreciate essentially being called a liar :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭irishdude11

This is getting ridiculous. The "manager" just called me back in regards to my email.
    He claims it was received like that and they can do nothing about it. He kept stuttering all over the place and wasn;t able to even put forward a coherent argument in favour.

He said it was received like that and as there was no damage on the box and so it wasn't damaged in transit. Ridiculous and I'm absolutely fuming.

They said it wasn't their fault at all, though I questioned him many times as to why I would have to pay for damage while it was in their care. He didn't have an answer for me and I said I'd bring them to the SCC and no Judge would find in their favour after the ridiculous customer service I received.

He basically said go on then, so I'll be bringing it further just to prove a point. Hard to believe £100 means so much to a huge international company!

Contacting the NCA now to get advice on what to do. Any other advice is greatly appreciated.

Really don't appreciate essentially being called a liar :mad:

Talk to the NCA and then send a registered letter into these shower of f*cks informing them that you have lodged a claim with the SCC and quoting the NCA's advice to you in the letter. That is exactly what I did. Like I said, I had been messed around months and then as soon as they got the letter they folded, it's more hassle than its worth for them to end up in the SCC over this.

So I contacted the NCA who were no help really. They stated that I should have gone to the retailer and sorted it that way and they didn't provide any more helpful info than that.

So with the prospect of either paying the fee, or awaiting what could possibly be a long drawn out legal process, I called them again.

This time, I laid into them pretty well putting forth my arguments and that I'd have no qualms taking it to court. I outlined my dissatisfaction at the entire process and that when dealing with other customer service departments from other computer manufacturers, there were no issues.

I stated that the onus of proof really lied with them as I had several people who can attest to the unit being in perfect cosmetic condition when leaving my house and any judge would find in my favour with the evidence I had.

Within 10 minutes they completely back tracked, no charge and computer will be back fully repaired within two weeks. I'm skeptical but we'll see. This time I'll make sure I check the condition of it before signing for it.

A good result for now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

That's great news, keep us updated on the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

That's great news, keep us updated on the outcome.

I find it difficult to believe that a laptop screen cracked in transit in a special laptop shipping container. I wonder how any other laptop manufacturer would react to the same scenario. I wonder how many times people have tried it on with them.

1000s wouldn't believe you. I do OP.

I was thinking if bring Dell to the SCC after being messed around constantly on a Lemmon of a machine. Ive just decided never to buy off them again instead.

OP consider getting accidental damage warranty on future laptops and save your self a whole lot of hassle. Mind you if it's dell they probably won't look after you even with an upgrade warranty.

I've found Lenovo excellent to deal with. They may have business support and lower domestic support for cheaper machines. Lot of manufacturers do that.
    I spoke to Romania when I called Lenovo support for a T series thonkpad Laptop.

Anyway the best of luck OP I hope you get further than I did with dell who we a holes to deal with

uberalles wrote: »
    I find it difficult to believe that a laptop screen cracked in transit in a special laptop shipping container. I wonder how any other laptop manufacturer would react to the same scenario. I wonder how many times people have tried it on with them.

I was thinking if bring Dell to the SCC after being messed around constantly on a Lemmon of a machine. Ive just decided never to buy off them again instead.

OP consider getting accidental damage warranty on future laptops and save your self a whole lot of hassle. Mind you if it's dell they probably won't look after you even with an upgrade warranty.

I've found Lenovo excellent to deal with. They may have business support and lower domestic support for cheaper machines. Lot of manufacturers do that.

Anyway the best of luck OP I hope you get further than I did with dell who we a holes to deal with

The thing is that I had heard great things about Lenovo long before buying from them, especially regarding build quality and customer service.

My initial call was to a service centre, most likely Romania also and they were incredibly helpful and polite. However, half way through this issue the CS number changed and from then on it was all UK agents I was dealing with, usually the same 3 or 4 people.

They are based in Swindon at Medion house so Leonovo obviously shifted support there recently and I have to say it's for the worse.

The computer was roughly around the 1k mark also so wasn't exactly a cheap unit and tbh I expected a much larger repair bill than £100.

There's definitely something up with these mysterious "cracked" cases though that several people seemed to have experienced. If you saw the boxes these were packed it, it's quite easy to see it would take some force to affect the unit inside.

I strongly suspect they cracked the glass when attempting to take out the card, or else they dropped it as it's quite heavy and the end of it is very sharp.

I had considered it getting it returned unrepaired and carrying out an examination on it as I'm a qualified forensic chemist and one of my specialities is glass :p

I will certainly not buy from them again and though it's somewhat resolved now, I'll be lodging complaints against some particular members of staff due to their conduct and attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

I was just deciding between a lenovo and an asus, glad I spotted this thread :-)

uberalles wrote: »

The amount of people trying it on is very small imho.I have had a similar experience with Lenovo .Tried to persuade me the case !! whatever that is was cracked .Complete scum to deal with .Never again would I buy from Lenovo .Just not worth the hassle. Just too many stories .Sent mine back in Feb ,still waiting .

My update .My laptop arrived back yesterday ,screen freezing again today .Eight weeks waiting and this is what I get .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Where was the item bought?

You can only bring a case to the scc under the sgas act as a consumer against the retailer. the person who bought the computer may have to do this.
    Do you have access to a receipt or proof of purchase?

OP, if you dont get your laptop back in full working order, get on to the person who gave you the laptop and deal with the retailer, if you dont get either of the remaining three 'R's then at least you can preceed to the SCC.

From the NCA website:

Faulty goods – your rights
    Where goods turn out to be faulty and where you are not to blame, you have a number of options under consumer law. Faults with goods may be major or minor and present different issues for particular products.

If the fault is major, for example if you buy a mobile phone and it stops working shortly after you start using it due to a major fault with the phone, you have the option to reject the goods and rescind (end) the contract.

If the fault is minor, for example a button is missing from a piece of clothing you bought, you have the option to request a repair, replacement, a reduction in the price you paid or a refund. However, if the trader refuses to meet your requests or there is an unreasonable delay in providing one of these remedies, then you have the right to reject the goods and rescind the contract.

Your contract is with the retailer or supplier who sold you the goods or products so if there is a fault, it is up to them to fix it. You may also have extra protection if you have a guarantee or warranty from the manufacturer.

What to do
    You should return the faulty item to the seller as soon as possible and explain what the problem is. If you think it might be useful, print out the page and bring it with you. If you have a complaint about faulty goods, shop notices such as "No Refunds" or "No Exchanges" do not limit your rights. Some shops display these notices, particularly during the sales, but this does not take away your rights under consumer law if the goods are faulty.

Reject & rescind
    When you buy goods, you enter into a contract with the seller. If those goods turn out to be faulty and the fault is major, you are entitled to reject the goods and rescind (end) the contract. If you simply reject the goods, for example, a broken bill-pay phone, you may still be tied into a contract unless you demand to cancel it without any penalty fees.

This option is complex and can depend on a number of factors. For example, the severity of the fault, the length of time since you bought the goods, and the inconvenience caused to you as a result of the fault. If a fault occurs within the first 6 months of purchase, it is assumed that is was there at the time of sale. It is important to remember that if you caused the fault, the trader is under no obligation to offer you any type of compensation.

Repair
    If you request a repair of a faulty product instead of rejecting it, it should be a permanent repair. If the same fault occurs again, then you should be entitled to a replacement or refund. If you are not happy with the retailer’s offer to repair the item, you can reject it. But if you do this, you may have to use the Small Claims process if you want to take the matter further.

Remember, the retailer may charge you for the repair if you have been responsible for the damage to the product.

Replacement
    If you opt for a replacement, it should be the same as the item you bought, or of similar quality and price.

You should not have to pay extra for a replacement and should be given the difference in price if the replacement costs less than the item you originally bought.

Refund
    If you opt for a refund, this can be in cash or by cheque, or the retailer can refund your credit or debit card account if you used one to buy the item. You do not have to accept a credit note or voucher as a refund as they are not equivalent to cash. You can choose a refund instead.

Other options
    You have the option to use the Small Claims process as long as the claim does not exceed €2,000. The application fee is €18 and the service is provided in your local District Court.

If you paid for the goods by credit or debit card, your card provider may agree to reverse the transaction. This is called a chargeback. Contact your provider immediately and give them details of your transaction.

If you have any queries about your options, you can contact us.

Remember:

You have no rights under consumer law if you change your mind about the goods you have purchased. However, some shops may offer you an exchange as a gesture of goodwill
    The shop is entitled to request proof of purchase, but this doesn't necessarily have to be the shop receipt. You could show your credit or debit card statement if you used one or any other documentation that proves it was purchased in that particular shop or retail chain
    If you received the item as a gift, you will need to have a proof of purchase if you need to return it to the seller for any reason. This can take the form of a gift receipt, which you may need to request from the person who bought the item.

@rebeve, same for you, did you buy your laptop yourself?

Advertisement