Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'48' Mobile operator - Prepaid offer - 3000mins & 5000 texts €10per month

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

on mobile running a browser without Java script...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭doxy

Has anyone over the age of 22 successfully availed of this offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

doxy wrote: »
    Has anyone over the age of 22 successfully availed of this offer?

Not yet, we're all waiting for the SIMs to arrive! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

They are being dispatched today.

how would they check the age of the customer who signs up?

Good question, that's what we'd all like to know ......

My theory is this network is just a "yoof" network in name only, in practice it's just a way for O2 to offer super cheap calls and texts, at a bargain basement subscription level, while keeping their premium O2 brand intact. That's why they're operating it at arms length, keeping even the Telefonica logo off the website.

In other words, my granny could be on 48, and they don't know she's 88 ... or care .... as long as she pays her subscription.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Heres a link from the Sunday Business Post about this

O2 starts mobile network for ages 18-22
    O2 has launched a mobile network aimed specifically at those aged between 18 and 33.

Called 48, it's being marketed as a service for the "reckless" years.

Terms are as follows: a monthly €10 membership fee covering unlimited calls and texts to any mobile network, at any time (with some conditions). Just 20 minutes of landline calls are covered.

"We're way cheaper because we don't have an army of customer care folk waiting to take your call," the service's site declares. "But you're big enough to know that you can get us here on our website, read our FAQs, join the 48 community or ask an agent."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

machalla wrote: »
    Heres a link from the Sunday Business Post about this

O2 starts mobile network for ages 18-22

I assume 33 age and error on the page??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    I assume 33 age and error on the page??

It looked like it.

Hmm, this might be a nice offer for a lot of older folks who have no need of data but might be ringing each others mobiles for a chat.

Get all your parents signed up. For those "reckless" types who are still young at heart.

When I try to order a SIM it asks me for my phone number, are they asking me for a number that I want to port over, or do they give you a new number?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Does anybody know if it will have webtext? Much handier when sending group messages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭JTMan

Does anybody know if it will have webtext? Much handier when sending group messages.

It appears that they do not offer webtexts based on the fact that it is mentioned nowhere on their website.
    how would they check the age of the customer who signs up?

They can't. It is a gimmick to try and ensure that only 18-22 year olds sign up but anyone can.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

If landlines are for losers, why offer any minutes to landlines? Losers.
    Landlines are for losers.
    When I try to order a SIM it asks me for my phone number, are they asking me for a number that I want to port over, or do they give you a new number?

You get an 089 number (how amazing is that? Like being in the 90's again!).
    If you want, you can get them to move your old number to the new 48 sim.

I'm wondering how much it costs to txt non Irish mobiles.

1_251.jpg

Hang tough? Crew?
    I feel like a proper youth.

awesome-kid-game.jpg

The-Rigger wrote: »
    I'm wondering how much it costs to txt non Irish mobiles.

25c http://www.48months.ie/index/pricing

They've just posted a seriously stylish and expensive ad on YouTube, wow ..... :eek:

Hang tough? Crew?
    I feel like a proper youth.

Great. Just for info, when did you order the SIM?

25c to txt a UK mobile is pretty steep.

Just on that, for the 10e membership per month, are you left with 10e phone credit or would you have to buy additional credit in order to send a txt abroad or if you so wanted - call a landline (once your 20 minutes had elapsed)?
    Oracle wrote: »
    25c http://www.48months.ie/index/pricing

They've just posted a seriously stylish and expensive ad on YouTube, wow ..... :eek:

Wonder what that ad was originally for. :p
    Oracle wrote: »
    Great. Just for info, when did you order the SIM?

Tonight.

Weirding me out now. Bit ominous.

1_252.jpg

/conquers.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

So is this just a scam or is it real?
    Too lazy to read the whole thread in the middle of the night :o

Weirding me out now. Bit ominous.

1_252.jpg

/conquers.

Yeah that's the email I got as well. Although O2 take ages to send free SIMs so I wouldn't worry.

Your question about making international texts, or extra calls to landlines, I assume you need additional credit for those calls. That's why the top-up page is on the web site. Looks to me that the €10 per month is a membership fee only. That allows you make lots of calls and texts to mobiles, but it's not available as call credit for other calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

If people are after unlimited data, and not so much unlimited calling three are still far superior imo -

top up by 20e and get free unlimited internet for the month, unlimited texts to any network, unlimited three to three calls and free weekend calls to any network

not to mention the 20e credit you still have left

• Advertisement

Just on that, for the 10e membership per month, are you left with 10e phone credit or would you have to buy additional credit in order to send a txt abroad or if you so wanted - call a landline (once your 20 minutes had elapsed)?

You need to buy additional credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Grindylow wrote: »
    Very suspicious tbh..

My thoughts exactly, they are referring to you paying for a "membership", unusual. I could be completely wrong but I wouldn't change over just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭PressTheButton

... Wonder what that ad was originally for. :p ...

Video was apparently made by this Irish advertising company specifically for '48'.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,040 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Wonder what that ad was originally for. :p

Play the fist 40 seconds of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3L4spg8vyo in the background while watching the ad form the start. Works well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Walter White

10 euro a month for unlimited calls and texts to any network.... That is a great deal, better than any deal that has ever been offered in Ireland before and people on here just keep knocking it !!!

Why ???

Do they not like a real Bargain.....

I ain't knocking it I think it's great. If I get the SIM, can get on the network and actually get the deal, it'll be fantastic ....... :D

So, if I already have an o2 account where they have my real date of birth on file, won't telefonica and 48months be able to access that data too?

Yeah but sssshhh .... don't tell them they mightn't have thought of that! ;)

So, if I already have an o2 account where they have my real date of birth on file, won't telefonica and 48months be able to access that data too?

They wont be able to. They have you date of birth for data protection purposes not for age validation purposes.

• Advertisement

Sweet :), I ordered one anyway, so fingers crossed it all goes smooth.

Advertisement