Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Features I never knew my car has

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Johntegr

Gary ITR wrote: »
    Not long after I put an aftermarket ECU into my Integra I was getting an engine check light up around 8000RPM, I scamper back to my tuner all worried.... turns out he'd set it up as a shift light :o
    Same as! Pity the launch control is switched off, for now!

For me, has to be when I switch the vents to blow on the windscreen it automatically switches on the A/C.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

OSI wrote: »
    Yeah, I hear you have to replace the cat in those every so often.

:p:pac:

That's if they really have a cat...

*gets coat

On topic... For a while i misunderstood the 4 wheel drive system on the cruiser - Its permanent 4x4, but thought it was selectable, but turns out it's a diff lock then low range locked. Copped it with the diff lock on in the snow - jeep just wanted to go straight!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Johntegr wrote: »

For me, has to be when I switch the vents to blow on the windscreen it automatically switches on the A/C.

Switch it back on lol!

My AC button now activates my launch control :pac:

Gary ITR wrote: »
    Switch it back on lol!

My AC button now activates my launch control :pac:
    I can't, the tuner locked the map. Unless he set a button somewhere to switch it back on. I'll try switching everything on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Cupholder in my work truck.:o
    Been balancing my coffee on the top of the dash/between my legs/wherever it looks like it might stay put for ages. Gave another lad who works with us a lift the other day. I was havin a coffee, balancing it betweem my legs. "why dont you use this?" he says, and pulls out the world most well hidden double cupholder from the dash. On the plus side, I like the truck a lot better now.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Johntegr wrote: »

Mazda 626s do that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Pottler wrote: »
    Cupholder in my work truck.:o
    Been balancing my coffee on the top of the dash/between my legs/wherever it looks like it might stay put for ages. Gave another lad who works with us a lift the other day. I was havin a coffee, balancing it betweem my legs. "why dont you use this?" he says, and pulls out the world most well hidden double cupholder from the dash. On the plus side, I like the truck a lot better now.:D

Cupholders, or rather bad cupholders are a pet hate of mine? Ever see the start of Bad Boys? Well in this case I'm Martin Lawrence

EPM wrote: »
    Mazda 626s do that too.
    A/C was an optional extra on some models. However they were all given a button that said A/C, just to annoy the owners. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭Raiser

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Similar on my recently disposed E39, if the sidelight goes, the indicator bulb illuminates on that side.

Many years ago, I had a first gen Opel Astra, and I could never figure out how to switch on the interior light other than opening the door until one evening while waiting for someone, I was fiddling with the headlamp switch, pulled it towards me and hey presto, interior light was on.

Thats just irritating! Designer needs his arms broken!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,066 ✭✭✭Mech1

Incase your car breaks down at sea?

no TSUNAMI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

my car still amazes me that an Opel can actually make me smile. gotta be the best feature of any car :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,020 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I had a 99 Peugeot 106 for about 3 years. Only in the last few months did I realise it had a CD player! Never knew it was there. You had to press a button and the front of the radio flipped down and voila!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,567 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Well I discovered today that the 4 holes to the left side of the centre console (where a car kit/phone holder had previously been installed but removed before I bought the car 4 years ago), exactly fits the bracket/screws for the new cradle I bought for my Galaxy S2 that someone linked to on another thread here last week :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Well I discovered today that the 4 holes to the left side of the centre console (where a car kit/phone holder had previously been installed but removed before I bought the car 4 years ago), exactly fits the bracket/screws for the new cradle I bought for my Galaxy S2 that someone linked to on another thread here last week :D

Something you can relate to but I found out that my Passat actually has a CR engine and not a PD. I only found out when i priced a timing belt kit. It must have been one of the first ones...

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭dan hibiki

i found out when i bought my first car, a 98 brava, that fiat make their their car keys out of baco-foil.

4 f:mad::mad:cking keys i went through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Front fog lights, possibly rear ones as well. Only really noticed them today because I was wondering why foglight threads are banned in here. They are low down and not very prominent so I never really took any notice.

Don't know how to switch them on though.. and I'm not too pushed. Maybe they're fake

This fella I used to know told me about someone at his work back in the day driving the new model of his previous car for a few weeks not realising it had another gear

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭brownacid

OSI wrote: »
    Yeah, I hear you have to replace the cat in those every so often.

:p:pac:

Best pun ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭lau1247

racso1975 wrote: »
    Yup discovered if you keep the open button pressed on the fob all the windows open and close if u keep the closed button pressed

this is true for some cars with sun roof too.. mercedes in particular is the one i knew of but these days sun roof is becoming a rare sight

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

eth0 wrote: »
    Front fog lights, possibly rear ones as well. Only really noticed them today because I was wondering why foglight threads are banned in here. They are low down and not very prominent so I never really took any notice.

Don't know how to switch them on though.. and I'm not too pushed. Maybe they're fake

This fella I used to know told me about someone at his work back in the day driving the new model of his previous car for a few weeks not realising it had another gear

What car do you have?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What car do you have?

Fabia estate 1.4 MPI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Far as I know, to turn on the front fogs, (with the lights on) pull headlight switch back one click. to put on both rear and front foglights, pull the switch back another click.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Far as I know, to turn on the front fogs, (with the lights on) pull headlight switch back one click. to put on both rear and front foglights, pull the switch back another click.

ah I have it now. didn't know it was possible to pull it back. Its also possible to push it in one click and turn on the parking lights and it stays pushed in. you know what that is for or if it does anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

If its the same as Audi the push in is for removing it. Push in and turn to the left and it should pull out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

E11 Corolla, if you unlock the previously locked car with the remote and don't open a door/boot within 30 seconds it relocks itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Had a Freelander for 2 years, sold it a few months back and as i was cleaning out my stuff for the new owners i looked under the driver seat and found a 6 disk cd changer.

Also found out that the alarm i have on another car can start the car if it reads the battery level dropping to a low level, a nice feature especially on a car that could sit out side my house for weeks on end.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭dmcar02

My own car, only figured out the radio volume goes up as you speed up. Class

Girlfriends car, Mondeo, you use the washer jets, wipers come on twice, then once again after about 5 secs to completely dry the windscreen. Also it has heated washer jets, brilliant in the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

The little frosty button on Bmw's means aircon.

if you turn off traction control it doesn't go off fully, you have to hold the button down for about 5 seconds and then the park break light goes amber.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭Killinator

guil wrote: »
    i kept thinking i was turning on the back wiper but realised it comes on automatically if the car is in reverse and you turn on the wipers

I just found out something with my GTI:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I never knew what the TA button meant on my car stereo.

Until the day I was stuck in traffic in Lisburn and this random voice cut in on my cd to advise on the status of the traffic on the A1

I nearly had a freaking heart attack, had no idea what was going on and the fecking thing kept doing it until I got to work in Belfast city centre. I was convinced I was being stalked by some mad lunatics!

Got a right few laughs when I asked what the feck it was!
    THe OH laughed himself silly as he'd lived in the UK and was used to traffic updates cutting in automatically if you'd the setting right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭jvc

Senna wrote: »
    Had a Freelander for 2 years, sold it a few months back and as i was cleaning out my stuff for the new owners i looked under the driver seat and found a 6 disk cd changer.

Also found out that the alarm i have on another car can start the car if it reads the battery level dropping to a low level, a nice feature especially on a car that could sit out side my house for weeks on end.

What happens if the car is in gear? Or was it an Auto?

Advertisement