Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illness benefit etc etc

• 20-08-2010 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,147 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

So my OH is due to have Surgery and will be out of work for around 4-6 months and her employer does not pay sick pay.

What are our entitlements?

I ask this because I cannot get anybody who seems to have a clue in Welfare to tell me the hard facts and the Illness benefit number has been ringing out since yesterday afternoon.

Advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/disability-and-illness/disability_benefit

If you are not entitled to pay for sick leave

If you are not entitled to sick pay from work you may get Illness Benefit if you have enough (PRSI) social insurance contributions - see 'Rules' below. If you do not have enough social insurance contributions, you should contact the Community Welfare Officer at your Local Health Office. The Community Welfare Officer will assess your situation and may give you a Supplementary Welfare Allowance....

To get Illness Benefit you must have:

* At least 104 weeks PRSI paid since you first started work

And

* Have 39 weeks PRSI paid or credited in the relevant tax year (a minimum of 13 weeks must be paid contributions*)

Or

* Have 26 weeks PRSI paid in the relevant tax year and 26 weeks PRSI paid in the tax year immediately before the relevant tax year.

*If you do not have 13 paid contributions in the relevant tax year, the following years can be used to meet this condition:

* The 2 tax years before the relevant tax year
    * The last complete tax year,

Or

* The current tax year.

The Relevant Tax Year is the second last complete tax year before the year in which your claim is made. So, for claims made in 2010, the Relevant Tax Year is 2008...

You should apply for Illness Benefit within 7 days of becoming ill. A delay of more than 7 days may cause you to lose some of your payment. If there is a good reason for a delay in applying, your payment may be backdated.

You can get an application form for Illness Benefit from your family doctor (GP) or hospital doctor. The reason you can only get this form from a doctor is because a doctor must fill in part of the form. It is not available online.

You must send in a medical certificate (known as MC 2) each week for as long as you are ill, unless you are told otherwise...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,147 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Thank you. That's all good and well.

That and the Welfare.ie information mentions how much they will pay and then a "qualified adult".

I have no idea what that means.

Which rate does she receive? I can tell you she has been earning over €400 per week for a number of years so should be entitled to the top rate but what is the other amount?

Is there anything else we can do?
    Is there anything else we can apply for?

The ilness is a pre existing illness so we cannot claim any of our payment protection insurances. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

A qualified dependant adult, is usually a spouse or partner, who earns less than Euro 310 per week gross.If your adult dependant is earning less than €100 you will get a full Increase Euro 130.10 for a Qualified Adult . If your adult dependant is earning between €100 and €310 you will get a reduced-rate of IQA. If your adult dependant is earning more than €310 you will not get an Increase for a Qualified Adult

Also, You will get the full rate Increase €29.80 for an Qualified Child if you get an Increase for a Qualified Adult for your spouse/partner or you are a lone parent.

You [the claimant]will only get a half rate Increase for a Qualified Child if your spouse/partner has an income of over €310 a week or has a social welfare payment in their own right. If you and your spouse/partner are each getting a social welfare payment you will each get half the Increase for a Qualified Child.

You[the claimant] will not get any Increase for a Qualified Child if you are claiming Illness Benefit, Injury Benefit, Health and Safety Benefit, Jobseeker's Benefit or Incapacity Supplement and your spouse's or partner's gross income is over €400.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

Hi sorry for opening up an old thread but im just wondering along with the application form i got off the doctor do i need any other documentation to support my application for IB, payslips,bank statements etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

No, application form itself will suffice. DSP will check your contribution record (which is automatically updated each year by employers making their returns). Have your P60 for 2009 to hand in the unlikely event it wasn't updated.

Of course if applying for an Adult Dependant, you may need their payslip (is any).

• Advertisement

one last question,I dropped my application form into my local sw today.Does anyone know how long it could take before i receive any payment?All the girl at the desk told me was to bring in my first weekly cert next monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭holidaygirl

I was in hospital recently the beginning of sept and am on illness benefit since. I submitted my form on Monday 5th sept and my first payment was paid into my bank account on Tuesday 13th sept. It's been paid weekly on the Tuesday since.

I had no payment for the first 3 days which is the norm if you have not had any claims recently. (as far as I know)

I was in hospital recently the beginning of sept and am on illness benefit since. I submitted my form on Monday 5th sept and my first payment was paid into my bank account on Tuesday 13th sept. It's been paid weekly on the Tuesday since.

I had no payment for the first 3 days which is the norm if you have not had any claims recently. (as far as I know)

ah ok thats not too bad,for some reason I was expecting it to take alot longer as I usually dont have much faith in our welfare system
    ,thanks;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Beer Baron has highlighted something very true and real indeed,so hense my thanks to him for highlighting this point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Thank you. That's all good and well.

That and the Welfare.ie information mentions how much they will pay and then a "qualified adult".

I have no idea what that means.

Which rate does she receive? I can tell you she has been earning over €400 per week for a number of years so should be entitled to the top rate but what is the other amount?

Is there anything else we can do?
    Is there anything else we can apply for?

The ilness is a pre existing illness so we cannot claim any of our payment protection insurances. :(

DEMAND your payment protection premiums back,as the policy doesnt cover you.

My sister did this and got back alot of euros,as she threatened legal action to the insurance company in question for falsely selling her a policy that they knew wouldnt pay out at all.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Thread from 2010. Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement