Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoiding M50 Toll

• 10-11-2010 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi,
    I need to get on the M4 from going south on M50 - is it much of a detour to come off exit before toll and get over to N4 - how much longer timewise at say 8/8.30 in the morning?
    tanx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

depending on traffic ... probably an extra 40-50mins

just pay the couple of euro !!

wait a min ..... are you talking about jumping off the M4 going through Kinnegad -Enfield and back onto the M4 (avoiding toll there) then drive onto M50 and head south ...... about 20-25mins the difference.

but jumping off the M50 and heading south ...approx 40-50mins the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 20,853 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yes. It's well placed to be seriously inconvenient to dodge. I could say with certainty that the value of the time you lose and the petrol you burn will far exceed the €2-€3 you'll spend in the toll.

You have the option either of heading through Castleknock (traffic blackspot) and crossing at Chapelizod bridge (another traffic blackspot), or heading through Blanchardstown village, down the congested Clonsilla Road, getting stuck for ages at the level crossing at Clonsilla, then getting held up at the lights at the Lucan bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭sdanseo

M50 is one toll you gotta pay, at rush hour anyway there's no short way around it.

It's €2 if you get a tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭troops

PCPhoto wrote: »
    depending on traffic ... probably an extra 40-50mins

just pay the couple of euro !!

didn't think it'd be that bad...think i'll just pay toll :P

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

OP you don't say where your start point is. I'm presuming your coming from north of J6.

If you want to do it without going into town, you need to know where you're going. There's no signed route (other than the M50 itself) to the M4 from the N3 and if you don't know the area you'll need to do your Google Maps research beforehand. Some of the routes don't have road signs at all for strehes.

There are a number of routes you can take:

Exit N3 at Castleknock roundabout, go through Castleknock village and head towards Strawberry Beds, then either left to Chapelizod or right to Lucan. The relevant junction is not signed but is at the Phoenix Park gate. TBH if you don't know the area you are best off heading to Lucan as there ARE road signs once you join the R121 that will lead you to the N4. This route will take you through heavy traffic in both Castleknock and Lucan as well as LOTS of ramps on the Strawberry Beds road.

Another alternative with a lot less traffic is to head northbound on N3 as far as J5 then exit, drive through Clonee village, turn left and follow R149 (not signed at the Clonee end) for Leixlip. Once in Leixlip turn either right or left onto R148 (R148/R149 junction is not signed either, but it doesn't matter cause you'll get to the M4 eventually either way).

That's just two options. Personally, unless you know where you're going, its way easier to pay the toll.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭ntpm

As most post say;
    Easier and cheaper to pay toll.

When it comes to Motorway roads (and tolls) V back roads.

I would also add less stressful.... less stress on you and car ie. clutching, start/ stopping/braking, (even during "rush hour").

If your travelling outside of rush hour then the average speed on the M50 will be faster and more fuel efficient than the back roads.

Finally Motorways are usually safer and signage better if your not too sure of the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Most sat navs have avoids toll option and I have used it severall times coming in on the M/N3 before blanchardstown when heading southbound on the M50 and it works wonders in off peak traffic.. Knocks e6 off a return journey in a commercial vehicle.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Most sat navs have avoids toll option and I have used it severall times coming in on the M/N3 before blanchardstown when heading southbound on the M50 and it works wonders in off peak traffic.. Knocks e6 off a return journey in a commercial vehicle.

And in peak traffic, it burns up an hours worth of time (billable by my employers at up to 200 euro ex vat) and uses about the 6 euro in diesel again. Unless your time is worthless, its not worth avoiding.

The M50, M1 and M6 tolls are not worth avoiding, realistically at any time of day or night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,226 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

troops wrote: »
    Hi,
    I need to get on the M4 from going south on M50 - is it much of a detour to come off exit before toll and get over to N4 - how much longer timewise at say 8/8.30 in the morning?
    tanx

Do you want to avoid the toll every morning or just now and then/once-off?

Where on the M4 do you need to get to?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭Vic_08

MYOB wrote: »
    And in peak traffic, it burns up an hours worth of time (billable by my employers at up to 200 euro ex vat) and uses about the 6 euro in diesel again. Unless your time is worthless, its not worth avoiding.

The M50, M1 and M6 tolls are not worth avoiding, realistically at any time of day or night.

Agree about the M50 and M1, Only a complete idiot would volunteer to go through Drogheda. M6 is not such a clear choice though, barring roadworks there are no real holdups on the old N6. It will gain you 15-20 mns at most to use the toll road, for a truck it is only about 5 minutes quicker which is why most of them don't pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Stark wrote: »
    down the congested Clonsilla Road, getting stuck for ages at the level crossing at Clonsilla

I have to reiterate this point, especially now with the increased number of trains going along that line, sometimes the gates at Clonsilla remain closed for up to 10 minutes at a time!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

There's are very easy ways to avoid the M50 toll, without even leaving the M50 ;)

I won't say anything else though cos that's not allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Breezer

Slight thread derailment: is it worth avoiding the tolls on the M3? I've to use the entire length of it for 3 weeks soon, as well as going through the M50 toll, and I don't fancy racking up over €100 in tolls...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Breezer wrote: »
    Slight thread derailment: is it worth avoiding the tolls on the M3? I've to use the entire length of it for 3 weeks soon, as well as going through the M50 toll, and I don't fancy racking up over €100 in tolls...

If you really want to save a few quid, skip the northern one. It tolls a section from northern Navan to south of Kells. The N51 across from it to the R147 (old N3) isn't that bad.

The southern toll covers the bypass of Dunshauglin - this might not be too bad traffic wise but I've not actually gone through it since the bypass. Navan and Kells are still poor enough traffic-wise.

Advertisement