Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P45 - How soon can you get it ?

• 01-03-2005 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm starting a new job immediately after finishing my old one thus I will recieve my last pay check from my old job almost 4 weeks after last working for them.

My question is can you recieve the P45 following the last day you actually worked or must you wait until your last pay slip is processed ???

Thanks in advance for any information.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭ranDom_tAsk

I think by post it's only a few days, but I'm not 100% but I think you can just get it from the accounts office in your old job there and then if you ask for it, ask in the accounts office in your old place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Cheers for that, gonna go searching for it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭samo

Anytime I've left a job - have received it either the day I left or on the day of last pay cheque (even if paid by bank transfer) - the tax office can give details of your tax credits etc to your new employer if they ring.

Meant to say - its no major hassle for an employer to do this up for you, they keep the forms etc - there last job I left they were being a bit awkward about the P45 and found out its a fineable (sp?) offence for them to delay issuing a p45 (that is if requested to do by tax office) and other such info - went and sat at the reception with my 2 kids running amok and they had it issued in 15 mins!!

So moral of the story is - its a fairly routine and simple thing for them to do!

samo wrote:
    went and sat at the reception with my 2 kids running amok and they had it issued in 15 mins!!

LOL .... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

samo wrote:
    Anytime I've left a job - have received it either the day I left or on the day of last pay cheque (even if paid by bank transfer) - the tax office can give details of your tax credits etc to your new employer if they ring.

Meant to say - its no major hassle for an employer to do this up for you, they keep the forms etc - there last job I left they were being a bit awkward about the P45 and found out its a fineable (sp?) offence for them to delay issuing a p45 (that is if requested to do by tax office) and other such info - went and sat at the reception with my 2 kids running amok and they had it issued in 15 mins!!

So moral of the story is - its a fairly routine and simple thing for them to do!

Fineable eh ?
    Excellent, I had a feeling they were obliged to do it asap if needed so I'll mention that to speed things up ;)

• Advertisement

also ppl, i'd advice ye all to bring your P60 in to the tax office when you get a chance, to get your tax back, we where all over charged last year...

i left my job back in september last, so my tax year was from jan to sep 2004, i got back €430 :) . i filled out the P50 form and sent it in... P50 form is for when your unempolyed.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Any competent accounts dept can do your P45 within a day. I used to work for a recruitment agency and if someone rang looking for a P45 it could technically be done for them in half an hour. It's not that difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Hard to do a P45 and include the following months tax on it.
    Unless you finish at a time when it fits into the wage running other wise you have to wait till the final wage is done as it will probaly include unpaid hollidays etc:

Depends on the company Oxigen took 7 months to send mine and Unilever gave mine the week before i left (she guesstimated my tax))

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

KdjaC wrote:
    Hard to do a P45 and include the following months tax on it.
    If someone is leaving on the 15st of March and payday is on the 31st March, you can preview the payroll on the 1st of March and compute their payslip and P45 for the 15 days, having it ready for them when they leave on the 15th. This is assuming they're on an uncomplicated salary.

Payroll software (that I've used at least) is advanced enough to do P45s ahead of time given you know they employees wages/salary for the month.
    KdjaC wrote:
    Depends on the company Oxigen took 7 months to send mine and Unilever gave mine the week before i left (she guesstimated my tax))
    Did they give a reason for the 7 month wait?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I do payroll.

I only issue P45's after the final wage has been paid (technically I could do it earlier, but as an accountant I prefer to deal with facts, not assumptions. It cuts out potential problems.)

Issuing a P45 is simple. I could probably do it in under a minute. The payroll software does all the calculating for you.

So any accounts people who make you wait are simply being lazy (...and trust me, there are a lot more lazy/retarded accounts people than competent ones.)

• Advertisement
Advertisement