Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DotNetNuke Page Creation Question....

• 24-06-2012 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

A question if I could on dotnetnuke. I am hoping to create some basic pages to add to the a site.

I am not able to build sites, but have a basic knowledge of dotnetnuke, and have already changed meta tags etc. in the CMS system.

From what I can see, I would be able to base a new page on an exisiting page, and just edit the content etc as I see fit to reflect the new page.

However, I imagine I would have to add the page to the top menu or sub-menu.

If I just created the page, and didn't link it to anything else on the site at first, how would it be "found" by the search engines? Would I have to add it to a sitemap? This is the grey area I have.
    I assume you couldn't just put the page live, and it's off into cyberworld with it.......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭nicol

seachto7 wrote: »
    Hi all,

A question if I could on dotnetnuke. I am hoping to create some basic pages to add to the a site.

I am not able to build sites, but have a basic knowledge of dotnetnuke, and have already changed meta tags etc. in the CMS system.

From what I can see, I would be able to base a new page on an exisiting page, and just edit the content etc as I see fit to reflect the new page.

However, I imagine I would have to add the page to the top menu or sub-menu.

If I just created the page, and didn't link it to anything else on the site at first, how would it be "found" by the search engines? Would I have to add it to a sitemap? This is the grey area I have.
    I assume you couldn't just put the page live, and it's off into cyberworld with it.......

When you create the page you have to let google find it somehow. The simplest way would be to add it to a the site menu or the site map to allow spiders to index it. You could also submit the URL directly to google

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.ie/2011/08/submit-urls-to-google-with-fetch-as.html

although you are not guaranteed that the content will be indexed by google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

CHeers,

Now, I can figure how to create a basic page but now cannot seem to copy the modules over from existing pages. It's like the content imports, but without the "skin"....

CHeers,

Now, I can figure how to create a basic page but now cannot seem to copy the modules over from existing pages. It's like the content imports, but without the "skin"....

Using version 6.1.3 and I've no problem copying a page. When you select Copy Page from the Pages menu there is a Copy Page tab where you can select what modules you want to copy across. By default for me all the modules are pre-selected to copy.

If you want to select a skin you can also do this on the Advanced Settings tab.

Hope this clears things up.

Yup, tried it, but it appears skewed.

When I am copying the modules, do I select "copy" or "reference"?

I also messed around with importing templates from existing pages, but not sure if this is the ideal thing to do.....

Yup, tried it, but it appears skewed.

When I am copying the modules, do I select "copy" or "reference"?

I also messed around with importing templates from existing pages, but not sure if this is the ideal thing to do.....

Picking Copy, Reference or New depends on how you want your modules to work on the new page. New creates a new instance of the module and any content displayed / added is specific to that module. Copy is similar except it makes a copy of the data in the module being copied. Reference means that data is shared across both instance of the module on the old and new page.

• Advertisement

I have been trying to literally copy another page, module and all. Then all I want to change is the main content, as the banner and sidebar should more or less stay the same. Maybe the banner would change to reflect the new page.

But I have been having trouble with this...

What type of module is the banner?? Is it part of the skin perhaps??

To be honest, I don't know. Is there anything I should be looking for in particular...?

To be honest, I don't know. Is there anything I should be looking for in particular...?
    can you edit the content of the banner? if you can't its probably part of the skin. the skin defines the look and feel of each page. its an ascx file that you can change to suit your needs if you have access to it.

Advertisement