Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Plumbing in Solid Fuel Stove

• 08-02-2006 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭

A bit of advice if any plumbers out there.

I have a solid fuel stove with a wrap around boiler. The boiler uses 1" copper and has 2 in's and two out's. The first circuit goes to the hot water tank and the second to the rads. There is a pump on the in from the rads and a stat on the out to the hot water tank.

Basically this means that the hot water tank is heated by convection and the rads are run by pump.

My question.

Would the stat be better on the out to the rads, as this cools down much more quickly than the out to the tank.

ta,

Pat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Pat,

I hope Jim or "Pipers" comes in here but I presume your hot water cylinder is upstairs ?

If it I can't figure out why there is a stat on the flow (top pipe) to your cylinder as the water will only rise when hot, do you have another boiler in the house like an oil fired boiler as your main heating ? that may explain it.

Usually the stat (if any) is on the flow to the rads to switch on the pump, I can't see it serving any useful purpose on the cylinder side unless it is on the bottom pipe (return) to allow the cylinder to heat first then it switches on the heating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

rooferPete wrote:
    Hi Pat,

I hope Jim or "Pipers" comes in here but I presume your hot water cylinder is upstairs ?

If it I can't figure out why there is a stat on the flow (top pipe) to your cylinder as the water will only rise when hot, do you have another boiler in the house like an oil fired boiler as your main heating ? that may explain it.

Usually the stat (if any) is on the flow to the rads to switch on the pump, I can't see it serving any useful purpose on the cylinder side unless it is on the bottom pipe (return) to allow the cylinder to heat first then it switches on the heating.

Pete,

Tank is upstairs and no oil fired boiler involved.

The only reason I can see for the stat being on the out to the boiler is lazyness/convenience. To put the stat on the out to the rads would have needed a longer cable(which he didn't have) and would have been more awkward to fit. I just wanted to check that there wasn't something blindingly obvious that I was missing.

Pat

Advertisement