Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guards chasing after horse racers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Tyron Jara

charlemont wrote: »
    Because they got to stay at home the site and mind the children. Such is Traveller life. I'd reckon on those Gardaí that were there being from Blarney or Rathduff not Gurran, I think there is a station on the old Mallow road but I'm not sure wheter its open or not.
    Thats the blarney patrol car in the video

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Nice too see the RTA going out the window with the driving. That style of driving wouldn't even be found out in the wild west.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Actually how would you go about forcibly stopping a horse and sulkie? I imagine boxing in or any contact would cause the horse to spook. In the video was the AGS car trying to stop the race or just push it over to the left hand carriageway? It would take a very brave driver to try and bring that whole event to a halt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

dlofnep wrote: »
    The guy who recorded the video just posted this:

Something seriously wrong there. Time for AGS to come down hard on these guys.

The Cosa Nostra calls it "omerta", that may explain a thing or two or not...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

That video is something else.

I wonder if there is something in official pursuit training to deal with this scenario?

The other guys seemed to have a rolling road block in place at one stage.

Was there more than one Garda car involved (an unmarked one)? I suspect that there's one efficient way to stop a sulky race but I wouldn't like to be in the car that does it.

Mind you the video evidence seems to be in abundance,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Video has been removed from Youtube by the user, a bit late me thinks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

dlofnep wrote: »
    The guy who recorded the video just posted this:

Something seriously wrong there. Time for AGS to come down hard on these guys.

Now that is what is worrying me, not only can they write, but they can operate iphones, laptops and can actually post videos to youtube :confused:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

charlemont wrote: »
    I'd reckon on those Gardaí that were there being from Blarney or Rathduff not Gurran, I think there is a station on the old Mallow road but I'm not sure wheter its open or not.

All in Gurran District. Old mallow road station does not cover there.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Topper7

I saw 1 of these this morning (8.45) on my way to limerick. There was approx 30 cars/vans, approx 5 vehicles wide & 6-7 vehicles deep. It was the old Roscrea to Nenagh road just outside Dunkirrean. Scary enough when you relise whats going on & you need to react quickly! Strangely enough I saw the local squad comin back into the town a few miles ahead of them. The gaurd drivin it was on her own in d car. Anyways when I called it in (I got put through to Thurles) & I was told that they think the local gardai all ready knew but would pass on the message.

Ive also talked to a few lads that live locally and they said that it has happened on this strech of the road before, but its normally earlier (5/6am). Also the frequency of it on that strech has increased drmatically over the last year or so!

Is there anything that can be done by the gardai there & then to stop the race? Obviously sending 1 car with 1 member out when the next nearest car is at least 15-20 mins away is risky!? Personally I think a strong example should be set of anyone caught or else sulky races should be legalised & controlled (Pavee point trying to work on this??)

• Advertisement

BTW dont want to interfere with protocall/procedures etc so mod please edit if its a problem.

Topper7 wrote: »

Is there anything that can be done by the gardai there & then to stop the race? Obviously sending 1 car with 1 member out when the next nearest car is at least 15-20 mins away is risky!? Personally I think a strong example should be set of anyone caught or else sulky races should be legalised & controlled (Pavee point trying to work on this??)

A line of JCB's with the front bucket down driving at full whack?

Or the scum could do what anybody else who wants to hold an event on a public road does and apply to the local authority to close the road and pay whatever cost is involved. They aren't short of money. No jobs and driving 12 reg vans and jeeps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

There was a similar incident on the N3 Blanchardstown bypass a few years back.

An enterprising Garda might requisition the services of a HGV if the opportunity presented itself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 rosco12

and what if an innocent person was to crash into this HGV? the only solution is tougher penalties when these scum are brought before the courts. A fine (which they won't pay) is not deterrent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭FGR

rosco12 wrote: »
    A fine (which they won't pay)

All the more reason to expedite the legislation to allow for deductions to be made from SW payments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

FGR wrote: »
    All the more reason to expedite the legislation to allow for deductions to be made from SW payments.

So the justice system should be about someone's ability to pay, Yes ?
    Nice system for the wealthier so !!

There's a reason a fine comes with a default prison term for non payment, Its called a choice..

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭mcko

They should not have to much problem paying as there was €40,000 on the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

on the video up on utube, could the numberplates of the cars and vans be seen and check if these guys have tax and insurance for said vehicles,

Yes, the traffic car had an ANPR on board as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭audi a4 2008

gardai had a big checkpoint heading in/out of cork saturday morning.
    it was great to see and mabey it will put a end to the madness that was created by the traveling community.

• Advertisement

i am glad to hear that, so they will catch up with these lawbreakers in good time, i often travel that road and it frightens me the thought of meeting that set up coming against me, the way they had a line across the road behind the carts and did not care about oncoming traffic was mad,

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭audi a4 2008

well i was lucky i just missed it,im a voulunter in the city and that saturday as i was going up i see 2 cars full just pulled over ,standing by the cars and i said there up to know good,

i had my family in car with me they were going to do shoping while i was busy,and i will admit if i saw the cars comeing against me i wouldent know what to do

that is the problem, the shock of that coming twoards a person, one would have to react fast, but where does one go if there were not a hard shoulder or an avenue to pull into, would they mow the oncoming car down, hard to tell, but i would not trust it,

goat2 wrote: »
    that is the problem, the shock of that coming twoards a person, one would have to react fast, but where does one go if there were not a hard shoulder or an avenue to pull into, would they mow the oncoming car down, hard to tell, but i would not trust it,

Lots of statements taken sat including the truck driver it seems lots of peole make that run every sat

All I could do was just come to a complete stop in my lane & allow the convoy to go around me. Scary expierence though especially for a unexpierenced/elderly driver.
    mcko wrote: »
    Lots of statements taken sat including the truck driver it seems lots of peole make that run every sat

Good to hear!

Good idea about decreasing SW payments. But this would probably lead to higher theft! By the time these lads are caught, proscuted, fined, refuse to pay fine, proscuted again, week in prision the cost to the state will be huge! & at the end of it all they will back on the road again with no lience/insurance without a care in the world.
    JCB isnt a bad idea, or moving all these people to one of these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Uninhabited_islands_of_Ireland perheaps Inishtrahull or Blasket, these seem to be the furthest away!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

moving all these people to one of these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Uninhabited_islands_of_Ireland perheaps Inishtrahull or Blasket, these seem to be the furthest away!:D

That would be to good for them! Anyway they would expect the council to build them house if they where still on Irish soil.

Simply put them on a raft and push them out into the Atlantic when theres a good strong westerly tide..

And in fairness you cant tar all travellers with the one brush when its only a small 99% of them making the other 1% look bad:D

All I could do was just come to a complete stop in my lane & allow the convoy to go around me. Scary expierence though especially for a unexpierenced/elderly driver.

Good to hear!

Good idea about decreasing SW payments. But this would probably lead to higher theft! By the time these lads are caught, proscuted, fined, refuse to pay fine, proscuted again, week in prision the cost to the state will be huge! & at the end of it all they will back on the road again with no lience/insurance without a care in the world.
    JCB isnt a bad idea, or moving all these people to one of these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Uninhabited_islands_of_Ireland perheaps Inishtrahull or Blasket, these seem to be the furthest away!:D

must have given you sleepless nights, if that were me, like you i would also stop, but i would be found down in the floor with fingers in my ears, praying that we lived through it, i know that road well as i go that way alot, and in future this will be on my mind when travelling that way,
    i am glad you came away okay. but shaken.
    did they damage any cars in this madness

must have given you sleepless nights, if that were me, like you i would also stop, but i would be found down in the floor with fingers in my ears, praying that we lived through it, i know that road well as i go that way alot, and in future this will be on my mind when travelling that way,
    i am glad you came away okay. but shaken.
    did they damage any cars in this madness

Was a different sulky race I came across last sun morn, but for all intensive purposes it was the same as the 1 in the video. No damaged cars that I came across anyways, but thanks for your concern :o & not enough time to get down on the ground, just have to react :eek:

i wonder. would they have pulled in or stopped if an emergency vehicle like the ambulance or doctor on call car were going in their direction or coming in opposite direction, could you emagine a person in ambulance and every moment counting to save their lives, and for the ambulance to come across this,
    since they would not stop for the guards, i am wondering and having my doubts that they would leave the ambulance speed on uninterrupted to save the persons on board life.
    i think that in great britian that it is an offence not to pull in when ambulance is approaching, and rightly so

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

Should have got the ERU to take out the horses given the imminent threat to public safety. This would be akin to the pit manouver often used by cops in the US. Or better still, just start picking off those pikes who have no respect for or fear of the law.

Advertisement