Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien 2 Triple Tuner Combobox

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I'd try a powered usb hub. Usb is a bus, it shouldn't matter if it's daisy chained

• Registered Users Posts: 5,519 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I was wondering, if I buy a USB hub with external power supply, such as this one:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/251117408375?var=550160272371&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_3462wt_908

will I be able to expand the back USB port and use the hard drive without a penalty (or a very small penalty) in speed?
    Make sure you get a decent powered hub.
    I bought one similar to the one you linked and the power supply blew up on it after a few days ,the socket was black after it .
    Luckily it didnt do any damage but I would avoid any cheap hub from China.

I've discovered a recording bug, if you set 2 timers to record on satellite at overlapping times and you are on another satellite channel when the second starts recording the box will crash and not change to the second channel to record. It causes a bootloop until the timer expires. If the box is on one of the recording channels or on the third terrestrial tuner it is fine.

There is also a bug in CrossEpg, it's very similar to what's described in this post, where it reverts to internal storage
    http://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/284962-fix-crossepg-reverting-internal.html

For this guide I'm assuming you have basic FTP knowledge, if you haven't I suggest you Google or get the help of someone who does.

First of all, go to Menu-->Spark-->Upgrade Software. Do a downgrade to 1.2.51 E2 Boot Upgrade. You can flash back to the latest Spark later if you wish to continue using Spark.

2012-12-31151443_zps76102288.jpg

Then you need to install the e2upgrade plugin, it's available here in this pack. Extract the plugin to your desktop and use Filezilla to connect to your box and copy both the bin and keys folders to the /root/plugin/var directory (overwrite). You'll find the IP of your box under System-->Net setting-->ipconfig, the default FTP login on Spark is username "root", password: "root".

ftp_zps187a5d46.gif

Grab the Enigma image and copy the Enigma2 folder to the root of a usb key, the enigma2 folder should contain 2 single files.

Reboot the box with the USB inserted then go to plugins and enable the e2upgrade plugin. You will see a Start OSD option with the red button (you may need a reboot after enabling the plugin if you don't see it at first), select this and navigate to the enigma2 folder on your Usb and you will see an upgrade Enigma2 option on the red button.

2012-12-31151528_zpsa2872cb3.jpg

2012-12-31151627_zps86e9c58d.jpg

Next we set the box to boot to Enigma, there is a simple way to do this in the settings menu, menu-->system-->factory default-->Boot to E2. Also note that holding the ok button on the box for a few seconds while toggling on the power switch at the rear to boot the box brings up a boot menu where you can use the arrow up and down keys to swap between E2 and Spark using OK to select.

The default HDMU E2 image does not have 28.2e in it's satellites.xml, we will need to upload a new one that does. You can grab mine from here or make your own from here. You will need to FTP that to /etc/enigma2. The FTP IP address should be the same but the login is now username "root", password "HDMU". You will need to reboot the box after for the satellites.xml to be read

Ftp2_zps764f3577.gif

That's all for now, I'll get started on a second post guide to setting up E2 with plugins and skins and permanently mounting a drive

This part of the guide ramps up a pace, I couldn't be arsed doing step by step, therefore I'm assuming people are tech savvy and are comfortable with FTP and Putty.

Jump through the configuration, but just go as far as getting the network setup, you quit after that, we'll setup the tuners and scan later.

Skin
    First things first, we want to get rid of the horrible Christmas theme, menu-->plugins then press the green button to open a download menu where you can download lots of stuff. Get a bootlogo and a skin. Once downloaded to enable the skin go back to menu-->Setup-->System-->Skin. PLI HD is the nicest, but there are plenty of others to choose from.

Remove crap Bouquets
    Now to delete the default bouquets, you can easily delete them on the box or use DreamBoxEdit, set it up with the FTP info, IP, username and password. To do it on the box, press OK to bring up the channel selection (it will be blank), blue for favourites, then by highlighting and pressing menu you have a remove bouquet entry option. I deleted all bouquets except Favourites (TV) before I did a scan.

use the latest images and plugins
    Details are here.

Configure Tuners and Scan
    Next we will setup the tuners. To do this we go to setup-->service searching-->tuner configuration. Set Tuner A to Europe DVB-T frequencies. I have an inline UHF amplifier so I enable power for that. Setup the satellite tuner B like in the images below, Tuner C gets set to "Equal to Tuner B". Setting the satellite tuner to clear before scan will remove all the channels already stored but not working.

2012-12-31165729_zps6d5eb03f.jpg

Autobouquets
    After a full scan it's time for autobouquets.
    • Extract dvbsnoop from zip file and ftp across to /usr/bin change permissions for this file to 777
    • Extract autobouquets.zip and ftp the directory Autobouquets to /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/
    • Change permissions of the autobouquets_e2.sh file in the Autobouquets directory to 755
    • Then restart Enigma2 and then go to Plugins and you should see Autobouquets installed. Run autobouquets and it will create lots of bouquets of channels in the same order as Sky UK, it will take 10-15 mins.
    dvbsnoop
    autobouquets

Picons
    Here is a complete pack of decent picons, I downloaded a nice pack online and used a software to make the few that are missing and added terrestrial ones. Extract the picon folder to /usr/local/share/enigma2

Storage
    Next for the storage, Plug in an NTFS or FAT32 formatted usb drive or key then Telnet into the box using Putty and run the following commands to format it to ext3 and mount it:
    mkfs.ext3 -L RECORD /dev/sda1
    cd /autofs/sda1
    mkdir movie

CrossEPG
    You will find CrossEPG in the plugins download section. I find that it works fine with OpenTV enabled for the 28.2 satellite but there is a bug I listed in an earlier post, once configured to store on the drive we added above don't open configure again or it will change the path to local flash and cause the box to get laggy. I've it set to download daily at 9.00AM which works fine as long as you don't open configure. You can check that it's set correctly by viewing the crossepg.config in /var/crossepg/, the first line should read db_root=/media/hdd/crossepg

Other Plugins to check out are Cool TV Guide and Autotimers (series link)

That's basically it, let me know if you find any mistakes

I've added some screenshots of it all setup. (Don't ask how I got Sky channels working, I will not answer, not even to pms)

2013-01-01142425_zpsee73efd6.jpg

2013-01-01142434_zps553bcb00.jpg

2013-01-01142442_zps47b933a3.jpg

2013-01-01142458_zps0c6e19d9.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭stanley1

sounds fun, maybe just buy a humax foxsat.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Just to remind people that discussion of how to recieve Sky Digital services on any type of reciever that is not a Sky Digibox is prohibited, even with a legitimate Sky viewng card..

stanley1 wrote: »

If you want plug and play, yes, but this Amiko has a few advantages to those of us who aren't afraid to get our hands dirty:
    • 3x tuners, the Foxsat has only 2x sat, no terrestrial
    • Being open source it's completely customisable with Enigma plugins
    • It will stream out to other devices on your network
    • It will do card sharing
    • Has web login so you can browse the EPG and set timers from anywhere
    • It's newer tech, the Foxsat is discontinued as it's 3 yr old hardware (2009), any stock you see is old stock
    • It works out cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 23 123skb

Anybody get the built in mgcamd to work with nlines?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭championc

Seriously, this box is worth every minute you spend on reconfiguring it to Enigma2.

The box has both Terrestrial and Satellite on the one box, and can stream anything to any pc or mobile device in your home. You can program the timer from an android phone too while out. And it has a full 7 day epg for both and has a pseudo series link.

And of course, it does CCCam or CLine but I don't think we're allowed to discuss that on here.

So do you still want a Humax ?

Sofar ME3000 Battery Storage Inverter for sale in Ballinteer, Sth. Dublin - see Adverts.ie - https://www.adverts.ie/other-electronics/solar-sofar-me3000-battery-storage-inverter/32914042 or PM me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

Have just installed the HDMU_1470_E2_spark7162_211_git_5082_nodebug_nolcd_Diff0_ffm_Flash

and need to ftp the xml file to the box but I get the message the login details are not correct.

Username: root
    Password: root

I have not changed these so was wondering was there something else I need to do like enabling ftp on the box, can find where to do that tho?

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    You need the IP of the box and you use the Filezilla Ftp client software: http://filezilla-project.org/

You'll have to Google for a guide if you need help, you'll need to have basic file and directory layout knowledge.

m8 wrote: »
    Have just installed the HDMU_1470_E2_spark7162_211_git_5082_nodebug_nolcd_Diff0_ffm_Flash

and need to ftp the xml file to the box but I get the message the login details are not correct.

I have not changed these so was wondering was there something else I need to do like enabling ftp on the box, can find where to do that tho?

Enigma has different login details to Spark
    PogMoThoin wrote: »
    The default HDMU E2 image does not have 28.2e in it's satellites.xml, we will need to upload a new one that does. You can grab mine from here or make your own from here. You will need to FTP that to /etc/enigma2. The FTP IP address should be the same but the login is now username "root", password "HDMU". You will need to reboot the box after for the satellites.xml to be read

Cheers I'm in.

BTW great guides thank you.

does the terrestrial tuner do mheg5 interactive.

Regards

does the terrestrial tuner do mheg5 interactive.

Regards

No mheg5

I have MHEG5 on my TV but god, I can't remember the last time I ever used it. I use the RTE News Now Android app quite a bit nowdays. What do you use MHEG5 for Stanley ?

Sofar ME3000 Battery Storage Inverter for sale in Ballinteer, Sth. Dublin - see Adverts.ie - https://www.adverts.ie/other-electronics/solar-sofar-me3000-battery-storage-inverter/32914042 or PM me

MHEG5 as it stands is just teletext, but it can be used in future for red button type interactive services. Then again it's RTE we're talking about, who are very broke, there is little chance of anything beyond teletext ever happening here with it. Everyone in this house has a smartphone, teletext is something we can live without.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Dudz

Have been limping along with a Silver Crest twin tuner. About to join the Aliens. Hope it can pass the Missis Test. Here are my price search results.

I noticed in the US that there are Clones/Counter fit models out there, therefore the need for certification. Please note the only Certification I did was through http://amikostb.com/?q=global

I feel that a DVB-T2 tuner adds more resale value to this. I doubt there will ever be a need for T2 in the Republic any time soon.

I will be making a purchase this week, but I will inform the top 5 vendors of the results.

Will keep ya'll abreast of the status. Good work PogMoThoin!!!

VENDOR AMIKO Certified MODEL DVB-T2 PRICE SHIP TOTAL NOTES
    kontrolsat.com Yes Alien 2 yes 169 24.00 193 1
    satworld.ie Yes Alien 2 not clear 194.99 8.5 203.49 2
    sat25.com not confirm Alien 2 no 139.67 26.65 166.32 3
    satboxes.com not confirm Alien 2 no 189.00 12.5 201.50 4
    redesatelite.com Yes Alien 2 no 159 5
    inter-sat.tv Yes Alien 2 yes 180.1 70.18 250.28 COD
    satelitarni.pl not confirm Alien 2 no 192
    redappledigital.co.uk Yes Alien 2 no 202.8 36
    sat-shop.co.uk/ Yes Alien 2 yes 235.48 24.92
    astrasat.nl Yes Alien 2 no 239
    dream-zone.dk/webshop/ Yes Alien 2 not clear 241
    beltec.at Yes Alien 2 yes not listed
    sat-multimedia.de Yes no Alien 2

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭joe250

good find, based on the same ST 7162 chip.

• Advertisement

good find, based on the same ST 7162 chip.

The Amiko has the front panel display showing the station it's currently on which I find very handy. The Amiko looks alot more professional too

championc wrote: »

The Amiko has the front panel display showing the station it's currently on which I find very handy. The Amiko looks alot more professional too

It does have front panel display. They're identical except for casing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQHL8s80Gg8

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭joe250

championc wrote: »

So as the golden media and the very same remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Dublin Deluge

Hi Pog,

Happy new year and thanks for the guide. I've been following and I'm nearly all set up. Thanks a lot for your hard work! I have one question though. My hard drive is preformatted as NTFS. When I telnet to the box, I noticed that it's mounted on /autofs/sda1 and I can ls files and all. Do I absolutely have to reformat it as ext3?

Hi Pog,

Happy new year and thanks for the guide. I've been following and I'm nearly all set up. Thanks a lot for your hard work! I have one question though. My hard drive is preformatted as NTFS. When I telnet to the box, I noticed that it's mounted on /autofs/sda1 and I can ls files and all. Do I absolutely have to reformat it as ext3?

Only if you have problems, I had, after a boot from deep standby it didn't mount automatically and this was the only way I could be guaranteed it would mount everytime, to the same mountpoint. Ext3 will be better and faster on a linux box, in Spark ext3 gave better speeds than ntfs. If you intend leaving the drive connected it may be best go with ext3.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Dublin Deluge

Thanks Pog. I'll reformat then, as this hard drive will stay in the machine most of the time and my main laptop is also a Linux machine, so no real need to keep NTFS.

By the way, I bought a new powered USB hub in PC World and it's working very well with the hard drive.

Thanks!!
    DD

Thanks Pog. I'll reformat then, as this hard drive will stay in the machine most of the time and my main laptop is also a Linux machine, so no real need to keep NTFS.

By the way, I bought a new powered USB hub in PC World and it's working very well with the hard drive.

Thanks!!
    DD

You'll always be much better off with a linux native filesystem, it's much faster and doesn't require de-fragmenting. The only disadvantage is not being able to mount it natively in Windows without using 3rd party software http://www.ext2fsd.com/

Hi PogMoThoin
    Great guides but one thing is that I don't see the CrossEPG in the plugins section so I must be looking in the wrong place?

CrossEPG
    You will find CrossEPG in the plugins download section. I find that it works fine with OpenTV enabled for the 28.2 satellite but there is a bug I listed in an earlier post, once configured to store on the drive we added above don't open configure again or it will change the path to local flash and cause the box to get laggy. I've it set to download daily at 9.00AM which works fine as long as you don't open configure.

m8 wrote: »
    Hi PogMoThoin
    Great guides but one thing is that I don't see the CrossEPG in the plugins section so I must be looking in the wrong place?

Once you download the plugin it appears as it's own entry in the setup menu

• Advertisement

Is this downloaded from within the box or do I download and FTP to the box?

Sorry if that sounds stupid but just getting to grips with this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement