Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

• 10-01-2011 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

Think its about time this thread saw the light of day!

They say good news comes in threes, and today was evidence of that as Ulster secured the future of three of their most promising players with new contracts.
    Ulster received a boost ahead of this weekend's crucial Heineken Cup clash against Biarritz with the news that lock Dan Tuohy, prop Paddy McAllister and centre Nevin Spence have all agreed new contracts.
    Ulster received a boost ahead of this Saturday's crucial Heineken Cup clash against Biarritz with the news that lock Dan Tuohy has signed a new two year deal with the club, while prop Paddy McAllister and centre Nevin Spence have upgraded from development to full contracts.
    Tuohy, who won his first international caps for Ireland during last summer’s tour of Australia and New Zealand, moved from Premiership side Exeter Chiefs, on a two year contract with Ulster ahead of the 2009-10 season. Having come through a strong academy system in the Guinness Premiership with Gloucester, the Irish-qualified lock had Ireland U21 honours to his name before his arrival in Belfast and with his excellent line-out abilities and a fair turn of pace, he’s become a regular in the Ulster side on match day.

Youngsters McAllister and Spence are both products of the Phoenix Ulster Rugby Academy.

Prop Paddy McAllister ,who was awarded a development contract ahead of the start of the current season, made his Ulster debut coming on as a replacement against the Ospreys in September. The Ballynahinch player, who has has represented Ireland at Schools, U19 and U20 level has featured regularly in the Ulster match day squad this season.

Centre Nevin Spence also joined the Ulster Squad on a development contract this summer after featuring for Ireland U20s in the Junior World Championship in Argentina. The former U16 Northern Ireland football international got his first Ulster start against Glasgow last April and has started six matches for Ulster so far this season, scoring a memorable try in Ulster’s defeat of Bath at The Rec last month as well as one last Friday night against Treviso.

Baffled that there isn't much activity from the Ulster lads on here, hopefully starting this thread will draw yee out of the woodwork?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Checking in.

Massive game this weekend.

No word on Pienaars injury? Didnt seem too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 borna7

Great news on all 3. Really hope Tuohy gets a chance in the 6 nations as he's been outstanding for the last few months. McAllister too has done exceptionally well for such a young prop and should get good game time during the 6 nations with Court likely to be involved with Ireland.

Massive game on Saturday. A win an Ulster can at last qualify for the knock out stages of the Heineken,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

They were right to tie Spence down quick smart. The English clubs would be sniffing around within the next 12 months other wise.

Conor O Shea was waxing lyrical about Griffen and Spence during Connachts game last thursday. There was an embarrassing silence when it was suggested that he might want to lure one of them to Quins.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Great news on Spence and McAllister.

I think Cave will struggle to get his jersey back off Spence when he returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭whysomoody

Great news on Spence and McAllister.

I think Cave will struggle to get his jersey back off Spence when he returns.

The good news though is that they offer completely different options. I like the way home grown players are bearing a bit of fruit for Ulster too as their schools system is right up there with Leinster's, they just seem to drop off a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭jacothelad

With Jackson, Luke Marshall and James McKinney all showing as decent prospects at 10 and in Marshall's case as a 12 or 13, if these guys progress properly we are set fair in the creativity department. With Spence, Cave and Whitten already in place, Michael Allen also at 13 could yet prove a seriously good player. He is one of the quickest centres I've seen recently.

Even with McAllister at loose head, we are still short of good props, tight head in particular, and brutally big, strong second rows coming through. Adam Macklin might eventually make good but from what I've seen of him before his injury he has a lot to do to be a pro tight head. Fitzpatrick and Cronin are average - not bad - just not top class so far.

There is a horrible rumour Ulster will replace B.J. Botha with Timmy Ryan who, let's face it, has been pretty hopeless in Toulon and Newcastle. Let's hope it's not true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

He's gotten absolutely hammered in the English Premiership this season, but in fairness, Cian Healy looks like two different players for Leinster and Ireland, so it's tough to preform in such a weak pack, so maybe Ryan isn't all bad.

Wouldn't be surprised if he came home, as we need all our tightheads in Ireland, but can't see him making any Irish team on his performances this season (Hagan is the most promising young fella imo).

As for thread, really happy to see an Ulster thread. We don't get nearly enough talk from the lads up north on here, so would be great to see more and more Ulster fans involved in the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

Absolutely vital weekend of Rugby ahead for Ulster. They've a real chance of getting a decent spot for the HEC QF if they can push forward.

Its encouraging to see their youngsters having no problem stepping into the mantle too. We may not hear about them as early as we do from other provinces, and there's less of a fuss about them. I think its a super reflection on the coaches and I can see a big growth in Ulster rugby in the next 3/4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

If Tim Ryan comes home and doesn't go to Munster surely there'll be some very angry southerners around the place... I mean at least Ulster have Tom Court!

Ulster are my second team (family all from there) so I'm delighted to see this thread rear its head. Have a feeling more Ulster fans will come out of the woodwork as their youths come into the team and they start to improve. Have a feeling this year may come a little early, but I do think Ulster will be winning major trophies in the next 5 years.

If Tim Ryan comes home and doesn't go to Munster surely there'll be some very angry southerners around the place... I mean at least Ulster have Tom Court!

Ulster are my second team (family all from there) so I'm delighted to see this thread rear its head. Have a feeling more Ulster fans will come out of the woodwork as their youths come into the team and they start to improve. Have a feeling this year may come a little early, but I do think Ulster will be winning major trophies in the next 5 years.

This southerner for one wouldn't be in the slightest bit bothered if Ryan didn't come back. No offence Tim I'm sure you're a lovely lad and all that.

What's happened to Ryan Caldwell? He was playing really well at the start of the season but seems to have fallen of the face of the earth since November.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

[Jackass] wrote: »
    ...Wouldn't be surprised if he came home, as we need all our tightheads in Ireland, but can't see him making any Irish team on his performances this season (Hagan is the most promising young fella imo)...

What about John Andress at Harlequinns? He's from Belfast and plays prop (tighthead too I think). Does anyone know anything about him?

Definitely agree it would be good to see our tightheads back home.

What's happened to Ryan Caldwell? He was playing really well at the start of the season but seems to have fallen of the face of the earth since November.

Behind Muller, Tuohy and Barker nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭jolley123

ULSTER Squad (v Biarritz Olympique) - Backs (12): Adam D'Arcy, David McIlwaine, Jamie Smith, Mark McCrea, Andrew Trimble, Simon Danielli, Paddy Wallace, Nevin Spence, Ian Whitten, Ian Humphreys, Paul Marshall, Ruan Pienaar.

Forwards (17): Tom Court, Declan Fitzpatrick, Jerry Cronin, Bryan Young, BJ Botha, Rory Best, Nigel Brady, Andi Kyriacou, Tim Barker, Neil McComb, Dan Tuohy, Johann Muller, Thomas Anderson, Chris Henry, Willie Faloon, Pedrie Wannenburg, Stephen Ferris.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Think i'm right in saying that if Ulster beat Biarritz and deprive the French of a bonus point then a BP win in Aironi will see them progress whatever Biarritz do against Bath. So here's hoping for a win on Saturday. Can't see Ulster scoring 4 tries but could see them depriving Biarritz of losing BP. May well depend on what French team turns up.

Behind Muller, Tuohy and Barker nowadays.

Gap year in Connacht maybe? He's easily ML standard and more but really needs to be getting regular game time at this stage in his career.

Gap year in Connacht maybe? He's easily ML standard and more but really needs to be getting regular game time at this stage in his career.

Aye, would agree with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 borna7

Caldwell has the talent. His problem is his discipline. He just can't help himself and therefor is a penalty machine and liability

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Ulster were very unlucky not to go through to the quarters last season as one of the best runners up, and this season they are in a position to win the group with 2 games to go (interestingly enough, escape from their group has not been achieved since winning the trophy back in 1998/99) so progress is being made.

Ulster, once the heavy weight of Irish rugby, and record interprovincial title holders, are a sleeping giant, and with the redevelopment of Ravenhill into a 12,500 capacity stadium with a snazy corporate stand with top facilities, and expansion to a 20,000 stadium with temporary seating (not a whole lot unlike what's in place at the RDS north and south stands), they have the facilities in place to become a major European outfit.

Add to that the fact that they've been the best supported team in the Magners League before, ahead of Leinster & Munster, and that they are always 3rd or 4th on the average attendence figures, ahead of teams like Ospreys & Cardiff with some of the best players in GB & I and in some cases Europe, and with shiny 25,000+ stadiums, in a country where Rugby is the number 1 sport, and the Ulster fans still outshine them, even when it got to the point of a dog fight at the bottom of the table with Connacht each season not to long ago, they've kept the crowd numbers, they've got a league title, they've got a European crown, and now they've got an academy system producing top notch players - I really hope this is the awakening of the giant. More rivalry in Irish rugby means better competitions and a better national team. And we all love the rivalries. :D

They're not far off the mark either, having a great season threatening for play-offs in the league and qualification in the Heineken.

IF they don't quite make the quarters, I'd love to see them go into the Amlin and win that. I think it would be great for Ulster rugby and a great stepping stone to higher levels of European rugby.

But back to the game, as crucial as it is...
    jolley123 wrote: »
    ULSTER Squad (v Biarritz Olympique) - Backs (12): Adam D'Arcy, David McIlwaine, Jamie Smith, Mark McCrea, Andrew Trimble, Simon Danielli, Paddy Wallace, Nevin Spence, Ian Whitten, Ian Humphreys, Paul Marshall, Ruan Pienaar.

Forwards (17): Tom Court, Declan Fitzpatrick, Jerry Cronin, Bryan Young, BJ Botha, Rory Best, Nigel Brady, Andi Kyriacou, Tim Barker, Neil McComb, Dan Tuohy, Johann Muller, Thomas Anderson, Chris Henry, Willie Faloon, Pedrie Wannenburg, Stephen Ferris.

So we could be looking at:

15. D'Arcy
    14. Trimble
    13. Spence
    12. Wallace
    11. Danielli
    10. Humphries
    9. Pienaar

1. Court
    2. Best
    3. Botha
    4. Muller
    5. Tuhoy
    6. Ferris
    7. Faloon
    8. Henry

Or something along those lines. I don't see Darren Cave, Caldwell, O'Connor or Pollock. And didn't they have another strong back-row player from the academy?

Not to mention guys like Marshall, who could be an absolutely stunning player in years to come, it's really optomistic times for Ulster.

And I don't know about you, but that is not a half bad team Ulster can put out. It always bothers me that they lost Tommy Bowe. Imagine putting him in at maybe 13 in that back line...that would be a pretty serious unit, especially with the likes of Cave and Marshall coming through.

The weak point for me though is out-half. O'Connor has been a real let down after such a promising career, but it seems like he lost all confidence. His defence disintegrated to the point that he was a walk over at 10 and his place kicking seemed to get worse. But he was full of promise about two seasons ago, and I just don't rate Humphries at the top level. He can do a job against some weaker Magners teams, but I feel a 10 of absolute quality would make Ulster twice as good as they are now. The half-backs have been Ulsters achillis for some time and if you don't have good half backs, it doesn't really matter how good the rest of your team is. And with Pienaar there now, it would be a damn shame to waste that without a quality 10 outside him. I hope they sign someone for next season, as there's no real international prospects of note they'd be holding back, but they could make Ulster legitimate Magners contenders without question and a serious threat in the Heineken.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

[QUOTE='[Jackass]And didn't they have another strong back-row player from the academy?
    [/QUOTE]

Do you mean Thomas (TJ) Anderson, who scored the try against Munster?

I'd be happy with that team. I'd like to see Jamie Smith retake his starting spot at some point soon. He's a good prospect.

Also could see Wannenberg starting ahead of Henry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

TJ Anderson is not a good player at all. Even all the Ulster fans on PR think he's rubbish, and only there because of his surname pretty much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

[QUOTE='[Jackass]

15. D'Arcy
    14. Trimble
    13. Spence
    12. Wallace
    11. Danielli
    10. Humphries
    9. Pienaar

1. Court
    2. Best
    3. Botha
    4. Muller
    5. Tuhoy
    6. Ferris
    7. Faloon
    8. Henry

Or something along those lines. I don't see Darren Cave, Caldwell, O'Connor or Pollock. And didn't they have another strong back-row player from the academy? [/QUOTE]

Darren Cave is still injured while sadly David Pollock has had to retire due to ongoing injury problems. O'Connor and Caldwell seem out of favour at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭jacothelad

[Jackass] wrote: »

Ulster, once the heavy weight of Irish rugby, and record interprovincial title holders, are a sleeping giant, and with the redevelopment of Ravenhill into a 12,500 capacity stadium with a snazy corporate stand with top facilities, and expansion to a 20,000 stadium with temporary seating (not a whole lot unlike what's in place at the RDS north and south stands), they have the facilities in place to become a major European outfit.

The plans are for an 18,000 + stadium and planning permission has been granted as far as I know. Just like at the Aviva, the local residents are far from happy. They do have legitimate concerns for example about car parking as the surrounding residential streets are very narrow.The ground has been there since 1923 and previously had no real limits to the numbers who could be squeezed in. If you choose to live beside a sports stadium you shouldn't be all that surprised when people turn up to watch the games. There were occasionally up to 20,000 and more when the All Blacks or Oz played there.

Stadium design.
    http://epicdocs.planningni.gov.uk/ViewDocument.aspx?uri=116763&ext=PDF

Add to that the fact that they've been the best supported team in the Magners League before, ahead of Leinster & Munster, and that they are always 3rd or 4th on the average attendence figures, ahead of teams like Ospreys & Cardiff with some of the best players in GB & I and in some cases Europe, and with shiny 25,000+ stadiums, in a country where Rugby is the number 1 sport, and the Ulster fans still outshine them, even when it got to the point of a dog fight at the bottom of the table with Connacht each season not to long ago, they've kept the crowd numbers, they've got a league title, they've got a European crown, and now they've got an academy system producing top notch players - I really hope this is the awakening of the giant. More rivalry in Irish rugby means better competitions and a better national team. And we all love the rivalries. :D

They're not far off the mark either, having a great season threatening for play-offs in the league and qualification in the Heineken.

IF they don't quite make the quarters, I'd love to see them go into the Amlin and win that. I think it would be great for Ulster rugby and a great stepping stone to higher levels of European rugby.

But back to the game, as crucial as it is...

15. D'Arcy
    14. Trimble
    13. Spence
    12. Wallace
    11. Danielli
    10. Humphries
    9. Pienaar

1. Court
    2. Best
    3. Botha
    4. Muller
    5. Tuhoy
    6. Ferris
    7. Faloon
    8. Henry

Or something along those lines. I don't see Darren Cave, Caldwell, O'Connor or Pollock. And didn't they have another strong back-row player from the academy?

Pollock retired last month due to an injury. Cave is out with a possible season ending injury. Caldwell is a very athletic lock but is out of favour with the coach. Niall O'Connor is unfortunately a very poor rugby player. The fans have known this fron Day 0ne. It has taken 4 seasons and a lot of lost games for the staff to get up to speed on this. Connacht are screwed.

The missing back row player is Diack who is injured also.

Not to mention guys like Marshall, who could be an absolutely stunning player in years to come, it's really optomistic times for Ulster.

And I don't know about you, but that is not a half bad team Ulster can put out. It always bothers me that they lost Tommy Bowe. Imagine putting him in at maybe 13 in that back line...that would be a pretty serious unit, especially with the likes of Cave and Marshall coming through.

The weak point for me though is out-half. O'Connor has been a real let down after such a promising career, but it seems like he lost all confidence. His defence disintegrated to the point that he was a walk over at 10 and his place kicking seemed to get worse. But he was full of promise about two seasons ago, and I just don't rate Humphries at the top level. He can do a job against some weaker Magners teams, but I feel a 10 of absolute quality would make Ulster twice as good as they are now. The half-backs have been Ulsters achillis for some time and if you don't have good half backs, it doesn't really matter how good the rest of your team is. And with Pienaar there now, it would be a damn shame to waste that without a quality 10 outside him. I hope they sign someone for next season, as there's no real international prospects of note they'd be holding back, but they could make Ulster legitimate Magners contenders without question and a serious threat in the Heineken.

Paddy Jackson has a lot of talent at 10 and was in the daft squad hoked in the last 8 minutes by Munster last week. luckily he didn't gat on the pitch. Luke Marshall is also a great 10 and James McKinney is there also.
    Do you mean Thomas (TJ) Anderson, who scored the try against Munster?

I'd be happy with that team. I'd like to see Jamie Smith retake his starting spot at some point soon. He's a good prospect.

Also could see Wannenberg starting ahead of Henry

Jamie Smith is centre or wing. He is truly awful at 15 and is wasted there. He is tiny and hasn't a hope of fielding high balls and can't kick worth a damn. He is however a very quick and elusive runner.

danthefan wrote: »
    TJ Anderson is not a good player at all. Even all the Ulster fans on PR think he's rubbish, and only there because of his surname pretty much.

TJ is there because his dad and Matt Williams are mates. He is a 100% trier but has shown little to suggest he shouild be a pro level player. He isn't as bad as some make out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Ulster will be fine at No.10 for years to come. Jackson, Luke Marshall and McKinney are all good players. Jackson and Marshall look like they'll have many international caps too and McKinney looked good for the Ireland U20's last year.

Ulster have a good team at present but now they need to build up the squad with quality players. Depending on their academy it'll happen eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭CouchSmart

Jackson is only 19 I think. Give him at least 2/3 years to learn from the coaches and Ulster could have too many Out Halfs!

Marshall, though played at 10 a lot, is a serious contender for 12 imo, a spot where Ulster and Irish Rugby could do with a bit of a spark coming through!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Redsock

Look isn't big enough or quick enough to play 12. Hopefully at some point the ulster management will realise this and move him to 10.

That said, the boy Jackson is the future of ulster and Irish rugby at 10. He is the new ROG.

Redsock wrote: »
    Look isn't big enough or quick enough to play 12. Hopefully at some point the ulster management will realise this and move him to 10.

That said, the boy Jackson is the future of ulster and Irish rugby at 10. He is the new ROG.

Hopefully better! I think he's pure class, and is still a kid. Hopefully he fulfils his potential, cause he's a serious punter. Kicking game is immaculate, and he's a clever player too. At the same time, if we hear nothing from him for a year or two, I still wouldn't be worried. He's quite slight for a 10, and will need time to put on muscle "correctly" and not to limit his game as a result.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Solid news for Ulster as Trimble extends his contract
    http://www.magnersleague.com/news/7026.php

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭iamjenko

Are Paul Marshall & Luke Marshall related?

I'm a Leinster man myself but from what i have seen of Ulster this season Paul Marshall has done enough to have his spot at 9 over Pienarr...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Certainly we were starting to grow weary of some under par performances from Pienaar, but he had a massive game against Bath and went a long way to winning over the fans in that game. If iHump can handle the kicking duties it takes a lot of pressure off Pienaar and let's him focus on what he does well at 9.

Shame O'Connor didn't fulfil his early potential at ulster, we need to very careful with the Marshall and Jackson. I also really like the look of young Gilroy on the wing. Scored a few tries but glad to see him not rushed back into the team, needs patience and careful development also.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement