Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Footballer of the Year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

The Gooch,Brogan are both 7/1 to win footballer of the year, Stephen Cluxton only 9/2 now plenty of cash placed on him the last week.

Keith Higgins was Mayos best player if Mayo won last weekend he would have won player of the year IMO. Seamus O'Shea was also better than his brother in the Connacht games, Alan Freeman had is best year since 2010 and proved a lot of his critics wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

Cooper - had a good Munster final and, let's remember, a good FIRST half against the Dubs
    Brogan - Struggled through the year but came good in the semi and the final
    McAuley - Consistent throughout the year, surging runs, needs to make better choices when in on goal
    Cluxton - Consistent throughout the year, kicked some great points, distribution excellent. Probably Dublin's MVP.
    The Mayo lads - would be well in with a shout but none of them distinguished themselves in the final.
    very hard to call by you'd have to say Cluxton by a hair. Cooper's disappearance in the second half in the SF will probably cost him. While Brogan's slow ascent to form will probably scupper him as well. Only an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Gerry91 wrote: »
    Keane to be fair I'm a great fan of your posts and think you have a cracking knowledge on the game!

Terrible a possible understatement? Thought lee did a great job, turned over plenty of possession played two positions very well! (As in he had to do the half forwards job too)

Not his biggest fan. Not going to go into details as to why, but I was really impressed with him this year. Not the most skillful of players but thought he played his heart out in final

Def respect your opinion though and it is definitely interesting

Boyle though= my poy. Agree mcauley is a super effective player although while anonymous is harsh thought he was "ineffective" in the final

Thanks for the kind words Gerry.

Whether terrible is an exaggeration or not depends on the standards you're judging by of course. Maybe it's a reaction to what I would consider hugely overblown praise for him and I've gone too far the other way.

Either way, I think if you tot up his contribution in the final I think it was negative overall, and I don't think it's very close either. His two points as I said are a big positive but some of the rest of what he did was very bad, between the shot dropped short, his poor defensive play and especially as I mentioned some of the absolutely braindead fouls he gave away.

Don't get me wrong either as I think he's a good player and has had a fine year, but I don't buy that he's been superb or is POTY material at all - people praising his final performance baffles me.
    Ps Keane I think Flynn is second best player in country after the Gooch.

Gooch the best player I've ever seen and I've watched that 97 final religiously on cassette of all things- Maurice fitz a beaut but JUST below coopers level IMO

Paul Flynn is my favourite footballer in the country and has been for a few years at this stage. He is just incredible, and the hipster in me loves that a lot of people don't even realise how good he is! I watched the AIQF between Dublin & Laois from Hill 16 last year and found myself laughing at how amidst all the passionate cheering and jeering, almost nothing positive or negative was said about Flynn even though he pretty much won the game on his own.

That's probably typical of sports fans everywhere I suppose, it's hard to notice just how good the link men like Flynn are, much easier to get excited about the guy finishing the moves or getting the last ditch blocks in, but IMO there is no better player in the country than Paul Flynn these last three years.
    Sorry Keane just one Q

Out if curiosity who do you reckon was our best player this year?

I think Boyle IMO but it be interested in your opinion

Ps- anyone can feel free answer it's a fascinating question IMO

Donal Vaughan for me by a short head from Higgins. It would almost certainly be Higgins if he played the full year at centre forward. He is one of Mayo's genuinely top class individuals.

In general I think the Mayo team is full of very good players, but are a "greater than the sum of their parts" kind of outfit. I think a lot of their players would be in the top 10 in the country in their positions, but few if any are in the top one or two. Keith Higgins is an exception there, as I'd rate him as good as anyone as a corner back and he looked damn good as a CHF as well.

I agree with the pundits who say Mayo don't have a marquee forward because I don't think Cillian O'Connor is quite at that level although he's getting there, I disagree that they need one to win an All Ireland though.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

Great call for Paul Flynn there. One of the great unsung Dublin heroes in many respects. Always give his all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

McCauley,Cluxton & Keegan are the nominees according to rte, McCauley has got to be the unbackable favourite now I would guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Totally agree about Paul Flynn, I have been saying it for a long time that he is the most important man on the Dublin team and one of the best and probably the most underrated players in the country. The amount of work he gets through in a game is unreal and hardly ever wastes a ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭Robson99

I dont think any football fan would deny Cluxton the award. Personally I think he was the main reason for Dublins 2 recent All Ireland wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

I think its more en vogue these days to say Paul Flynn in underrated. He's really not, at least not by anyone with a brain. The man has NO weaknesses to his game.

It also didn't go unnoticed, at least in the circles i mix, that he was the only player who turned up for us in 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

corny wrote: »
    I think its more en vogue these days to say Paul Flynn in underrated. He's really not, at least not by anyone with a brain. The man has NO weaknesses to his game.

It also didn't go unnoticed, at least in the circles i mix, that he was the only player who turned up for us in 2012.

Yeah I don't know what's going on in this thread. Everyone heaping praise on Paul Flynn who is already very highly rated and rightly so. He mightn't get as much notice as Cluxton or Brogan but he certainly isn't flying under the radar by any means!

Robson99 wrote: »
    I dont think any football fan would deny Cluxton the award. Personally I think he was the main reason for Dublins 2 recent All Ireland wins.

I would. His kicking is top notch but his goalkeeping has been questionable at times, even in the final. Of the Dublin nominees I'd rather see MDM get it even though I don't rate too highly as a footballer, he is a phenomenal work horse but his composure in front of goal leaves a lot to be desired.

Gun to my head I'd say the best footballer this year was Sean Cavanagh. He carried Tyrone to the semis and was an absolute colossus all over the field, akin to Paul Flynn of Dublin only far more effective. I reckon MDM will get it though, can't see it given to a goalkeeper even if he was likely more important to Dublin's AI win than MDM.

Of the nominees I hope Keegan wins it but it will surely go to Cluxton or MDM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Love to see Lee Keegan win it but expect MDMA to win it although some SINDO journalist put forward a very compelling for Cluxton last Sunday,can't recall his name.Seriously has there ever been a better goalkeeper than Cluxton,without equal?!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

seligehgit wrote: »
    Love to see Lee Keegan win it but expect MDMA to win it although some SINDO journalist put forward a very compelling for Cluxton last Sunday,can't recall his name.Seriously has there ever been a better goalkeeper than Cluxton,without equal?!

Was it Sweeney,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Cluxton had a poor year overall from kick-outs and was caught for a few cheap goals. Excellent free-taker and one of Dublin's most important players but the mind boggles why he'd be nominated for PotY above a Colm Boyle or even a Bernard Brogan who put Dublin on his back in the business end of the season.

There's definitely better goalkeepers in my opinion, haven't seen a better kicker from placed ball though in my lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

jive wrote: »
    There's definitely better goalkeepers in my opinion, haven't seen a better kicker from placed ball though in my lifetime.
    Kickouts yes, but from frees Bryan Sheehan and Maurice Fitzgerald have been better.

Kickouts yes, but from frees Bryan Sheehan and Maurice Fitzgerald have been better.

Might as well throw in Colin Corkery and Larry Tompkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Might as well throw in Colin Corkery and Larry Tompkins.
    Tomkins was average enough if talkin top free taker Sheehan n Firzgerald had it at an extremely high level Alot o Tomkins frees dropped short was common enough to see him do that in games Think its really just Sheehan n Fitzgerald vying for best ever with Fitzgerald been able to cover each side of pitch as he could kick left footed Likely Fitzgerald more accurate But Sheehan is something else on 45s Missed one against Mayo in League last year but was at end extra time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

It may be that my memory remembers him too kindly (and no doubt someone will have stats to prove me wrong) but the best placed ball kicker I remember is Brian Stafford. Cluxton has a very different style of kicking though - his are much more like a quarterback throw - straight and true - whereas Stafford was much more like a golf shot - like a 7 iron with a bit of a draw! :) Of the two I think Cluxton has more range to his kicking - I don't think Stafford could ever have hit that kickout that led to the McManamen goal against Kerry!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,000 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Even though his form has not been great lately Sheehan has the ability to kick some monsters

Like thses two

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Sheehan's a little overrated in terms of consistency. His over all conversion rate stats aren't that great. Maurice Fitz was amazing alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Tomkins was average enough if talkin top free taker Sheehan n Firzgerald had it at an extremely high level Alot o Tomkins frees dropped short was common enough to see him do that in games Think its really just Sheehan n Fitzgerald vying for best ever with Fitzgerald been able to cover each side of pitch as he could kick left footed Likely Fitzgerald more accurate But Sheehan is something else on 45s Missed one against Mayo in League last year but was at end extra time

Ja Fallon :D:D

MDMA deserved his award.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

MDMA deserved his award.

Fully agree with that.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

MDMA deserved his award.

Without doubt, had a great year.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Nialler15

Just want to ask something here about MDMA. Is his winning of Footballer of the year a sign of how much Gaelic football has changed?

He is more of a workhorse than a finesse footballer. There are far superior footballers in the country to MDMA but his workrate and tenaciousness meant he stood out this year. For example winning the breaking ball for McMenamins goal V Kerry.

Just my opinion and wondered what others think?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Nialler15 wrote: »
    Just want to ask something here about MDMA. Is his winning of Footballer of the year a sign of how much Gaelic football has changed?

He is more of a workhorse than a finesse footballer. There are far superior footballers in the country to MDMA but his workrate and tenaciousness meant he stood out this year. For example winning the breaking ball for McMenamins goal V Kerry.

Just my opinion and wondered what others think?

To be honest Niall I am delighted that a work horse like MDMA got this award as we were mentioning on another thread that we thought Seamy O'Shea MAYBE should have sneaked in ahead of Aidan for the All-Star but wasn't going to as his "only" a work horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Nialler15

I agree Seamie should have got it as he was more consistent. Aidan went AWOL in the All Ireland final.

I get what your saying but for me the footballer of the year should be a finesse footballer. Maybe I am old fashioned in my thinking but the gooch V dublin in the 1st half could have got Footballer of the year for that performance alone.

I agree Seamie should have got it as he was more consistent. Aidan went AWOL in the All Ireland final.

I get what your saying but for me the footballer of the year should be a finesse footballer. Maybe I am old fashioned in my thinking but the gooch V dublin in the 1st half could have got Footballer of the year for that performance alone.

It was the most perfect displayof football I have ever seen to be very truthful.
    I was behind him on a number of occassions during the QF game where he picked passes which you would put a fart through and yet he hit his man each and every time.
    The guy is an incredibly intelligent footballer. I see he didn't score last Sunday though! Which is odd for him.
    But he display in that game was unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Am I right in saying the Inter County players picked the Player and Young Player of the Years as opposed to the Journalists with the All Stars?

Just makes it interesting as I think you need to respect fellow player verdicts than journalists.

• Advertisement

Am I right in saying the Inter County players picked the Player and Young Player of the Years as opposed to the Journalists with the All Stars?

Just makes it interesting as I think you need to respect fellow player verdicts than journalists.

Well that makes total sense if they do. Journos dont have a bean.

Advertisement