Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

The mighty McDonald on Second Captains live on RTE 2 now

• Registered Users Posts: 48,129 ✭✭✭✭km79

Came across really really well and reinforced all the stories I'd heard about him being a gentleman.
    Met him once or twice when we both younger too. Legend !

• Registered Users Posts: 48,129 ✭✭✭✭km79

Also spot on what he said about forwards recycling the ball to get it to tier best shooter to beat the blanket.
    I made the point Sunday that mayo were recycling it Sunday but had no one player good enough to take on the long ange shot then with Cillian out !

Super guy McDonald .....we could do with him now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Really interesting to hear his thoughts on the 'modern game'. Great to hear from someone who isn't on the TV or radio every other week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Stoner wrote: »
    TBH, I think the blanket defence would suit Mayo. Some would agree that you guys could do with some more scoring forwards. Possibly just optimise the ones you have.
    In a blanket defense to copy Donegal a little, O'Conner could be a McBrearty, AOS as an Michael Murphy, B Moran as a target man, your half back line breaking on the counter like only they can, the extra lads back could help out an issue I think you have at number 3.

It would have been nice to see something more radical form the mayo management team so far this year.
    The sort of changes we saw in Donegal in 2011, and Dublin in 2010, it really took both management teams to do some housekeeping, and change things up, Donegal dropped Cassidy, big calls started in the league the year before AIs were won.
    Really I think Horans management team was very good but we're a little slow on the line to spot that Dublin were there for the taking I 2013.

Maybe the new set up would being this to how table.

Still baffled by that vital moment in that game. Not the COC late free but that ridiculous move leaving Higgins on the injured O'Gara.

Only seen the cracking interview with McDonald on Second Captains. A sound man. Would love to see him involved with the Mayo set up again some day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭HighKing33

Diarmuid O'Connor kicked some beauties the last day and he's probably a bit fitter than Andy so I wouldn't panic regarding the forwards. Maybe Evan Regan could play a role as an impact sub in the summer aswell?

One thing that's troubled me towards the end of the league has been Mayo's defensive performances. Not aggressive enough stepping up and pressing the ball in the danger areas. Maybe that's a sign that the team is jaded, after all we saw Higgins and co. put in some dire defensive performances in previous leagues only to find a new lease of life in the summer.

Bottom line is I like Connelly, very genuine man and I feel if he gets the balance right on the sideline and on the pitch then Mayo will remain serious contenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

HighKing33 wrote: »
    Diarmuid O'Connor kicked some beauties the last day and he's probably a bit fitter than Andy so I wouldn't panic regarding the forwards. Maybe Evan Regan could play a role as an impact sub in the summer aswell?

One thing that's troubled me towards the end of the league has been Mayo's defensive performances. Not aggressive enough stepping up and pressing the ball in the danger areas. Maybe that's a sign that the team is jaded, after all we saw Higgins and co. put in some dire defensive performances in previous leagues only to find a new lease of life in the summer.

Bottom line is I like Connelly, very genuine man and I feel if he gets the balance right on the sideline and on the pitch then Mayo will remain serious contenders.
    Evan Regan needs to be starting. Have you seen how bad our right sided free taking has been thoughtout the league? Regan is the only proper left footed free taker.
    The defense has been quite solid overall. We kept Cork and Donegal to fairly low scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,315 ✭✭✭naughto

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Still baffled by that vital moment in that game. Not the COC late free but that ridiculous move leaving Higgins on the injured O'Gara.

Only seen the cracking interview with McDonald on Second Captains. A sound man. Would love to see him involved with the Mayo set up again some day.

He did not look comfortable doing the interview so fair f1ucks to him doing.
    Didn't think he was 40 to be honest I'd still have him on the team even if he got 10 mins a game his presence alone would be worth a point or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Beffs

Stoner wrote: »
    TBH, I think the blanket defence would suit Mayo. Some would agree that you guys could do with some more scoring forwards. Possibly just optimise the ones you have.
    In a blanket defense to copy Donegal a little, O'Conner could be a McBrearty, AOS as an Michael Murphy, B Moran as a target man, your half back line breaking on the counter like only they can, the extra lads back could help out an issue I think you have at number 3.

It would have been nice to see something more radical form the mayo management team so far this year.
    The sort of changes we saw in Donegal in 2011, and Dublin in 2010, it really took both management teams to do some housekeeping, and change things up, Donegal dropped Cassidy, big calls started in the league the year before AIs were won.
    Really I think Horans management team was very good but were a little slow on the line to spot that Dublin were there for the taking I 2013.

Maybe the new set up would being this to how table.

Dublin were there for the taking? That sounds like trying to rewrite history to suit one particular view point. After all the injuries, Dublin were certainly vulnerable, but Mayo only scored once from play, in the entire second half of the game. You can't put 100% of the blame on the side line for that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I'm not rewriting history. IMHO Mayo never looked like they were going to win that day , but at the end of the match O'Carrol didn't know what day it was, O'Gara couldn't move but they left a player on him. They only lost by a point. They never capitalised on the events at the end of the game. That's the extent of the blame I place on the line, never said it was 100% their fault. But they took no action in the last ten minutes. We all knew OGara was knackered.
    Much like the Dubs the year before waiting too long to move MDMA back to midfield, I'd say the same about the Dubs failure to act in time, Mayo still won in 2012 and the Dubs won in 2013 but on both cases I think that swifter action, or just action from the line might have impacted the final result.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

naughto wrote: »
    He did not look comfortable doing the interview so fair f1ucks to him doing.
    Didn't think he was 40 to be honest I'd still have him on the team even if he got 10 mins a game his presence alone would be worth a point or two.
    Just watched that interview on rte player.

Very impressed with Ciaran McDonald.

I though he came across as a down to earth fella that loves his football.

Thanks for some great memories in the Green and Red.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Heard from a likely reliable source that Cillian O Connor should be back in 2-3 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

seligehgit wrote: »
    Heard from a likely reliable source that Cillian O Connor should be back in 2-3 weeks.

We really do need him back for the likely opener in Salthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

How's Evan Regan progressing?

padd b1975 wrote: »
    How's Evan Regan progressing?

Sorry but I'm not privy to that information.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭KMFCross

Sorry but I'm not privy to that information.:)

According to this article http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=235425 Regan is fit again and has joined the Mayo team in Portugal for the Training Camp

• Registered Users Posts: 14,930 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

KMFCross wrote: »
    According to this article http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=235425 Regan is fit again and has joined the Mayo team in Portugal for the Training Camp

Hopefully Regan does not believe all that is in the article or he will miss the game.

It's the 14th of June not the 21st that it's on.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Lads, is anyone having trouble with attendance on the season tickets? I have been marked as not attending both of the last two HOME games even though I attended. I have emailed the office and they have been really unhelpful saying there has been no reported scanner issue and so they will not change my attendance status. My fathers ticket is the exact same.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Mayo Club 51

tacofries wrote: »
    Lads, is anyone having trouble with attendance on the season tickets? I have been marked as not attending both of the last two HOME games even though I attended. I have emailed the office and they have been really unhelpful saying there has been no reported scanner issue and so they will not change my attendance status. My fathers ticket is the exact same.

We had heard that there was a problem on one of the stiles at the Donegal match. Some peoples season tickets were not scanned correctly. They all got sorted the following Wednesday I think, after Castlebar reported a problem with one of the scanners. A lot stricter this year now, you have to report it within 10 days of the match and they will only entertain you if there was a problem reported from the match venue. If not then it seems to be tough luck :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 LadyShelly

I've an adult and two juvenile dublin season tickets, one failed to record my attendance in Killarney and now all three tickets weren't acknowledged in Monaghan!!! I've emailed them straight after the game on the Monday! Emails going back and forward to no avail, I'm at the end of my tether now and really angry over they gaa lack of responsibility over this. Is there anything else I can do????

I am hearing that Regan broke his collarbone again during training on tuesday night. :(

I am hearing that Regan broke his collarbone again during training on tuesday night. :(

Yeah heard the same thing yesterday.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

Man he is having a bad run of it...

Keeps going like this and he will have to take up snooker :D

Surely there will be a couple of challenge games coming up over the next few weeks. Anyone know of any coming up. Usually a good place to see the team particularly when the little lad is with me and security is low :D:D

Yeah just announced on newstalk news there now. He will miss 12 weeks ruling him out of all the Connacht championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Is it the same bone again?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭irishgeo

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Is it the same bone again?

apparently, must have come back a little too early.

Such a balls as we need someone new to take a share of the workload. I was hoping he would offer something new to Mayo this year but its hard to see him making an impact this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Well done to the Rossies yesterday. It can only be good for Connacht Football!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

If Carlsberg did championship build ups. People talking about Galway being the dark horses this year and the Rossies already talking about finding ways to deal with the Dubs in the semi final. Looks like John Evans is happy to draw all the attention and pressure onto himself and his players for the next few weeks.
    A nice low key build up to Salthill, no real pressure this year and then we'll see who's who in Connacht.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement