Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DELL optiplex, wont power up, orange LED on MOBO...

• 22-02-2008 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

I have an Optiplex GX270 (sounds like a Lexus - if only)...

When I press the power button the fans spin for a split second and then stop and everything goes dead. Theres an orange LED on the mobo which remains on constantly, it has something like "Aux Power" printed above it. Im presuming its a power issue so is anyone familiar with this? Any suggestions as to what the specific cause might be?

Ronan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

Any light on the power button at all?
    Anyways, try this:
    Plug out the power cable from the back of the pc
    Then hold in the power button for 30 seconds.
    This will drain the residual/flea power form the motherboard.
    Then try plugging back in the power and power it on again.

Let me know how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Ronan H

JæKæ wrote: »
    Any light on the power button at all?
    Anyways, try this:
    Plug out the power cable from the back of the pc
    Then hold in the power button for 30 seconds.
    This will drain the residual/flea power form the motherboard.
    Then try plugging back in the power and power it on again.

Let me know how it goes

When I press the power button the following happens:
    - The light on power button flashes orange for a split second and goes off
    - The green light indicating HD activity flashes green for a split second and goes off
    - The two fans in the case spin for a split second and then stop

The orange LED on the mobo remains on during all of this.

I drained the power as you suggested and the orange LED went off but it came on again as soon as I plugged in the power cable. When I pressed the power button the same as what's described above happens, so in short, we are at square one still.

Hope thats enough information.

Ro

It's gonna be either the motherboard or power supply. Don't suppose you have any spare parts to test in it? That would narrow it down to one part or the other.
    If not, check if it is under warranty and call Dell:
    http://support.euro.dell.com/support/topics/topic.aspx/emea/shared/support/my_systems_info/en/details?c=uk&l=en&s=gen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Ronan H

I dont think theres a warranty as I got the machine for nothing from work, its no big deal, I havent lost out anything by it. Ill see if I can test the power supply somehow and if thats the problem then its a cheap fix, if its the mobo then I'll recycle it, that was the initial plan at work anyway before I intercepted it. Thanks for your help all the same, I wasnt aware that you could drain the power like that. The thread was worthwhile solely for that...

Thanks!

R

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Croc

Have you tried the diagnostic leds on the back of the machine to see whats happening look here

http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx270/en/ug/solve.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

dell do free motherboard reaplcements on that model if there are blown capacitors.
    the replacement is irrespective of warranty status.

sounds like you may have the issue

subway wrote: »
    dell do free motherboard reaplcements on that model if there are blown capacitors.
    the replacement is irrespective of warranty status.

sounds like you may have the issue

I wasn't aware they replace them on out of warranty machines?
    Usually a steady green power led when the capacitors are gone.
    You could call them though, and say you have a green power led, no display. Then say you looked at the capacitors and they look swollen. New motherboard every time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

im only going on the info ive seen online -
    this pdf in particular - https://ascp.monmouth.army.mil/scp/downloads/news/OOW_Support_Customer_Letter.pdf

i had a problem with my gx260 that looked remarkebly similar to the capacitors issue but wasnt (and wasnt covered)

edit//
    looks like the program finished in janaury 08

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

Dell shipped a large enough batch of GX270's with faulty capacitors that caused a variety of problems across the board. Although i've noticed on occasion it's the power supply that's faulty, more often than not it was the motherboard, or more specifically, the capacitors on it. One of the more obvious visual traits of these faulty systems are actual leaks on one or more of the onboard capacitors.

Have a look inside the pc and take a close look at the top of the capacitors. If you see any unusual crap on them that's not dust, it could be a leak, and the board will need replacing. Be sure to call Dell regardless and see if you can get it replaced or not.

Advertisement