Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zelda (Where to start?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Icarian

I played Ocarina of Time on the 3Ds and thought it was outstanding. One of my favourite games ever.

I was so impressed with it that I took out LttP which I originally bought on the GBA but never finished - and I finally completed that the other day...and I was left underwhelmed.

I'm not sure why some say LttP is better than Ocarina of Time? Is it a nostalgia thing because to me Ocarina of Time is a good bit better. I'm not saying LttP isn't good. I enjoyed it, but after going straight from Ocarina to LttP it just left me as I say underwhelmed.

I might give Minish Cap a look if it's still around.

I was in the same position. I had a SNES and Megadrive back in 1992, but never played Zelda back in the day. OoT was my first one and I loved it, Majoras Mask came next and although I thought the world design, towns and sidequests were actually better than OoT, it never sat quite right with me. Even with the reverse song of time, that still only gives you about 3 hours to finish a dungeon, which I always felt had to be done in one sitting. To me Zelda is supposed to be a leisurely paced game, which is why I never fuly succumbed to MM's charms.

Like you I played LttP on GBA first, and while I enjoyed it, I never thought it was an amazing experience. Then again, Super Mario World on GBA never felt quite the smae as the SNES original either, so maybe you had to play it on a SNES in front of a small CRT tv back in 1993 to really experience LttP!.

Based purely on the GBA versions though, I felt that Minish Cap was the more compelling game. It's still 2D, but the overworld, art style, dungeon and item design feel more like a modern 3D Zelda.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Icarian

I played Ocarina of Time on the 3Ds and thought it was outstanding. One of my favourite games ever.

I was so impressed with it that I took out LttP which I originally bought on the GBA but never finished - and I finally completed that the other day...and I was left underwhelmed.

I'm not sure why some say LttP is better than Ocarina of Time? Is it a nostalgia thing because to me Ocarina of Time is a good bit better. I'm not saying LttP isn't good. I enjoyed it, but after going straight from Ocarina to LttP it just left me as I say underwhelmed.

I was in the same position. I had a SNES and Megadrive back in 1992, but never played Zelda back in the day. OoT was my first one and I loved it, Majoras Mask came next and although I thought the world design, towns and sidequests were actually better than OoT, it never sat quite right with me. Even with the reverse song of time, that still only gives you about 3 hours to finish a dungeon, which I always felt had to be done in one sitting. To me Zelda is supposed to be a leisurely paced game, which is why I never fuly succumbed to MM's charms.

Like you I played LttP on GBA first, and while I enjoyed it, I never thought it was an amazing experience. Then again, Super Mario World on GBA never felt quite the same as the SNES original either, so maybe you had to play it on a SNES in front of a small CRT tv back in 1993 to really experience LttP!.

Based purely on the GBA versions though, I felt that Minish Cap was the more compelling game. It's still 2D, but the overworld, art style, dungeon and item design feel more like a modern 3D Zelda.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Any thoughts on Spirit Tracks? Haven't time to sit down to Skyward Sword yet, and its going cheap in my local shop....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

efla wrote: »
    Any thoughts on Spirit Tracks? Haven't time to sit down to Skyward Sword yet, and its going cheap in my local shop....

I really liked Spirit Tracks. I'm a bad critic though, tend to like all Zelda Games! But it's worth a play! The train driving will drive you scatty sometimes but the gameplay is good.

Still nothing will be as good as Skyward Sword though. I suggest putting all social norms on hold and caving yourself in to play it. Its not healthy that you have been putting life ahead of this game.

I really liked Spirit Tracks. I'm a bad critic though, tend to like all Zelda Games! But it's worth a play! The train driving will drive you scatty sometimes but the gameplay is good.

Still nothing will be as good as Skyward Sword though. I suggest putting all social norms on hold and caving yourself in to play it. Its not healthy that you have been putting life ahead of this game.

I've had to put it away in the wardrobe, triforce motion plus and all; I'm just too busy :( (it is a great incentive to meet a long deadline though - looking forward to playing it this summer)

I'd probably be happy just to drive the train around in spirit tracks... That, and I've forgotten how much I enjoyed phantom hourglass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭jaydoxx

Spirit tracks is amazing, play it straight away after the boat one(can't remember the name:p) and it'll blow it outta the water,pun intended:pac:.

I'm convinced! Will pick it up tomorrow

Be honest, the pun sold it for ya, right?:p

It may have altered my train of thought

Note to self: become worlds punniest salesman :D

• Advertisement

I love it! Utterly charming, and I still haven't grown tired of pulling the train whistle thing.

Having come from playing 3DS OOT, I'm genuinely surprised at how significant an advance the 3DS is on its predecessor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

I wouldn't recommend it to the OP but for any Link to the past fans, I would strongly recommend checking out Zelda: Parallel Worlds

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I feel the need to update my views on LttP.

Since I first completed it I've since cleared the game another two times. :pac:

I swear it was the gorgeous ending theme that lured me back for further play. There is indeed a charm to the game that was probably lost on me when I first played it, probably due to frustration at getting used to a new system as well as the fact OOT had just blown my socks off.

I now have a different take now to LttP. I would still probably say that OOT as a stand alone gaming experience brought me greater satisfaction than LttP, however I'd find it quite tough going to pick up OOT and play through it all again, whereas LttP seems more accessible to me and thus I reckon I'd be more likely to play through LttP again before OOT.

Both are fantastic games and now I have to go check out some more of the series. :cool:

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Is Twilight Princess worth getting for the Wii? I saw it second hand for €13 in town yesterday.

Also saw Game selling Skyward Sword for €35. I don't have a Motion Plus though. :(

I feel the need to update my views on LttP.

Since I first completed it I've since cleared the game another two times. :pac:

I swear it was the gorgeous ending theme that lured me back for further play. There is indeed a charm to the game that was probably lost on me when I first played it, probably due to frustration at getting used to a new system as well as the fact OOT had just blown my socks off.

I now have a different take now to LttP. I would still probably say that OOT as a stand alone gaming experience brought me greater satisfaction than LttP, however I'd find it quite tough going to pick up OOT and play through it all again, whereas LttP seems more accessible to me and thus I reckon I'd be more likely to play through LttP again before OOT.

Both are fantastic games and now I have to go check out some more of the series. :cool:

I am very intrigued by your review. I attempted to plat LttP a few years ago on the Gamecube collector's edition and just didn't get into it, albeit I only tried for about 10 minutes :pac:

Have some credit on my Nintendo shop account, might give it a go!

Thanks Amoral have you not played Twilight Princess? It's epic! If not, get that now. By the time you have it completed you might have found a good deal on Skyward Sword, which I would argue is better, but not by much to make Twilight Princess in any way a bad game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Link to the past is brilliant. I first played it in.. 2004 I think, I was 11. I traded in some yugioh game to get it pre owned from gamestations unboxed cabinet :3 hated it first time round, instant regret. Didn't pick it up again till last year, gift from a friend, love it this time round :3 best portable zelda, one of the best zeldas by a mile.

You know what I just realised I was mixing up Link to the Past and Links Awakening.

Link to the Past is the awesome game I felt in Ireland.

Links Awakening is the crappy game you can get in the Nintendo Shop. :(

I'll play something else. This nintendo shop credit is burning a hole in my 3DS!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

You know what I just realised I was mixing up Link to the Past and Links Awakening.

I'll play something else. This nintendo shop credit is burning a hole in my 3DS!
    Links awakening is a fantastic Zelda game! It was one of the best game boy games of all time!

Minish cap is pretty excellent too :3 wish they'd just release it on the eshop.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 10,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Links awakening is a fantastic Zelda game! It was one of the best game boy games of all time!

I think Princess Peach is confusing Link's Awakening with The Adventure Of Link.

I haven't revisited Link's Awakening but having tried out both Zelda NES games when I got my copy of the Collector's Edition disc for the Gamecube I can understand being underwhelmed by it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

cloud493 wrote: »
    Minish cap is pretty excellent too :3 wish they'd just release it on the eshop.

I don't think they will be, as it was one of the exclusive ambassador (early adopter) reward titles...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

There's no way the Early Adopter titles won't get released to the public. They're easily a who's who of the most marketable GBA titles available to Ninty. I know they've made some questionable decisions since the GameCube but they almost never miss an opportunity to milk money from the teats of rabid fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Doctor_Socks

I'd definitely start with Link to the Past OP. If I could go back i'd do Ocarina of Time and Majoras Mask last, just because they were the best in the series!! The other games were fantastic but those two are flawless. Kept asking myself when I played all the games after them, 'Is this as good as the N64 games?'

I don't think they will be, as it was one of the exclusive ambassador (early adopter) reward titles...

Pfftt. they always says its 'exclusive' till they release they can make more money off it ;)

Well I bought Link's Awakening. Tbh now I really can't be sure if I ever did attempt to play it. Maybe the first one put me off and I skipped it entirely. I'm sleep deprived and can't remember.

Now to play instead of sleeping :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Considering they were on the gameboy colour, I honestly think that the 2 "Oracle of Seasons" and "Oracle of Ages" were incredible. They were just so good. If you like LttP, they've got the same vibe to them (only with a lot less buttons of course since the gameboy had less)

You may crucify me but I thought they were the best...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Thanks Amoral have you not played Twilight Princess? It's epic! If not, get that now. By the time you have it completed you might have found a good deal on Skyward Sword, which I would argue is better, but not by much to make Twilight Princess in any way a bad game!

I picked it up today. Glad it was still there.

I'll take your word for it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I picked it up today. Glad it was still there.

I'll take your word for it. :)

I think for that price, you wont go far wrong

gubbie wrote: »
    Considering they were on the gameboy colour, I honestly think that the 2 "Oracle of Seasons" and "Oracle of Ages" were incredible. They were just so good. If you like LttP, they've got the same vibe to them (only with a lot less buttons of course since the gameboy had less)

You may crucify me but I thought they were the best...

I would die:eek:

• Advertisement

Link's Awkening is amazing!

No other Zelda has matched the same feeling of unease

Advertisement