Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Copy video from You tube or Facebook??

• 11-08-2012 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

How do I get a copy of video to download from either of these sites?
    I want to copy the videos to my hard drive to play back off line.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭elsie1b

How do I get a copy of video to download from either of these sites?
    I want to copy the videos to my hard drive to play back off line.
    Programmes like freefox and mp3 rocket can be used for this

• Registered Users Posts: 16 gf2009

www.keepvid.com allows you to do it. You copy the URL to that site

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

www.google.ie/search?q=download+youtube+videos+free will list many options besides the ones above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Programs to download video clips from platforms like youtube, vimeo, etc are plenty but most of them are riddled with ad or spyware, they install browser toolbars or worse.

Here's a little tutorial to do it entirely without the installation of such software.

1. download and unzip VideoCacheView

2. open your web browser and play the video you want to download.

3. run VideoCacheView, you will now see all videos that are currently in the browser cache

sYcr0.png

4. right click the file you want to save, select Copy Seleted Files To... (or highlight and press F7)

vkeTz.png

5. choose the location where you want to save the video

BUkam.png

6. Navigate to the storage location and rename the file accordingly as it will be saved under the same random name from the browser cache.

FfTMi.png

The video clips will be save in FLV format (FLash Video), if your media player of choice doesn't support this format, install the required codec, a dedicated flash player or just get VLC (portable version here) which will play pretty much any media file under the sun, without additional codecs to be installed on your system.

Of course, if you know the cache location of the web browser you can locate and copy the videos manually but often enough they're locked to prevent you from doing that, VideoCacheView will copy the file regardless.

NirSoft's VideoCacheView is freeware, you can download the installer if you want but it's not really necessary.

Speaking of NirSoft, they offer a truckload of other useful utilities. I recommend to grab the free Windows System Control Center (WSCC for short), a graphical selection menu which will download the entire NirSoft and SysInternals utility suites and keep them up to date, a portable USB version is also available (no installation required).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

The VideodownloadHelper firefox extension is also quite good :)

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

Goto Temporary internet folder, press Size for order of large to small files, clip will be one of the biggest. Copy and paste. Might have to clear folder first, keep cookies. No need for special programs that just transfers the vid from temp-folder to hard drive.

Note you prob have to rename clip, also to play clip Media player classic will do the job.

Tomk1 wrote: »
    Goto Temporary internet folder

Cache location is different for the various web browsers.
    press Size for order of large to small files, clip will be one of the biggest. Copy and paste.

In most cases it is not that easy, as I have explained in my previous post already, these video clips or often locked to prevent the user from copying it.
    also to play clip Media player classic will do the job.

Media Player Classic alone will not "do the job", unless it was installed with a codec pack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Torqay wrote: »

Speaking of NirSoft, they he offers a truckload of other useful utilities. I recommend to grab the free Windows System Control Center (WSCC for short), a graphical selection menu which will download the entire NirSoft and SysInternals utility suites and keep them up to date, a portable USB version is also available (no installation required).
    Fixed that for ya...:o

Dudes a genius.

Goto Temporary internet folder, press Size for order of large to small files, clip will be one of the biggest.
    Hasn't worked in Firefox at least since 3.6.

It's getting overly hard to capture clips from sites lately.:(

Dudes a genius.

That he is.

Of course, VideoCacheView is not limited to Youtube, it works for any website with flash content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

Dudes a genius.

That he is.

Of course, VideoCacheView is not limited to Youtube, it works for any website with flash content.

Realplayer has a downloader built in also has a converter so you can convert videos to MP3 and stuff

• Advertisement

bdoo wrote: »
    Realplayer has a downloader built in also has a converter so you can convert videos to MP3 and stuff

Real player is possibly also one of the worst computer applications you can install, followed closely by itunes :pac: . Seriously though download flv/mp4 file and VLC Player is the best way. Also real player screwed up flash playback in web browsers recently

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Real player is possibly also one of the worst computer applications you can install, followed closely by itunes :pac: .

Both qualify as spyware in my books. ;)

yoyo wrote: »
    Real player is possibly also one of the worst computer applications you can install, followed closely by itunes :pac: .

Both qualify as spyware in my books. ;)

Yikes!

Well, how would you call software which installs additional software without the users consent, if not malicious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

http://www.youtubedownloaderhd.com/

That site is the best IMO. Just put in the URL of the youtube video and it downloads it for you. Great stuff.

Well, how would you call software which installs additional software without the users consent, if not malicious?

You should calm down. I was unaware of these issues with realplayer. I didn't contradict you I merely expressed my surprise, it is such a well known and widely used program that I thought it was trustworthy.

I guess you never know. I'm ill-informed it seems, it would have been helpful for you to share some info to support your point rather than respond as you did.

http://www.youtubedownloaderhd.com/

That site is the best IMO. Just put in the URL of the youtube video and it downloads it for you. Great stuff.

Hmmm...

Youtube Downloader HD - "Malwarebytes does not like this program :("

"Award badges" that are not linked to corresponding reviews are most likely faked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Hmmm...

Youtube Downloader HD - "Malwarebytes does not like this program :("

"Award badges" that are not linked to corresponding reviews are most likely faked.

I don't understand any of that sentence, I'm sorry :L I know the bare minimum about computers :pac: But I've been using it a while and I've never gotten a virus :)

it would have been helpful for you to share some info to support your point rather than respond as you did.

I didn't consider this really related to the topic, but since, you're asking to support my point:

iTunes also installs a video player (QuickTime), a web browser (Safari), a networking protocol (Bonjour) whether the user wants it or not ... this is just to name but a few from a long list of additional programs that come with iTunes.

Realmedia's bad attitudes have a long history.

Both programs are also known for tracking and profiling their users... of course one can argue, "well, the eejits have agreed by accepting the License Agreement, haven't they".

I don't understand any of that sentence, I'm sorry

On their website, Youtube Downloader HD boasts with a bunch of awards from a reputable computer magazine and a (not so reputable) shareware hosting site, yet none of these are linked to the actual editorial reviews.

• Advertisement

it would have been helpful for you to share some info to support your point rather than respond as you did.

I didn't consider this really related to the topic, but since, you're asking to support my point:

iTunes also installs a video player (QuickTime), a web browser (Safari), a networking protocol (Bonjour) whether the user wants it or not ... this is just to name but a few from a long list of additional programs that come with iTunes.

Realmedia's bad attitudes have a long history.

Both programs are also known for tracking and profiling their users... of course one can argue, "well, the eejits have agreed by accepting the License Agreement, haven't they".

That's helpful thanks. Everyone who wanders onto this forum isn't an expert, I recommended realplayer in good faith, without knowing these issues.

Not to mention Apple forced people to install their Safari web browser during a routine "iTunes" upgrade, not to mention the ipod assistant, bonjour, itunes, quicktime services crap that load on every boot. Real is a marketing company who make money from the ads/messages the program shows. It probably tailors these based on songs played/downloaded

Nick

To be fair, Safari is no longer bundled with iTunes, musta caused some outrage. ;)

@ RUCKING_FETARD: YouTube started to split their video files into multiple parts.

As for VideoCacheView, update to the latest version, it will find the split parts and merge them automatically. Just tested it with IE and it works fine again. More info on Nirsoft's blog:

VideoCacheView now supports the split video files of YouTube Web site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

@ RUCKING_FETARD: YouTube started to split their video files into multiple parts.

As for VideoCacheView, update to the latest version, it will find the split parts and merge them automatically. Just tested it with IE and it works fine again. More info on Nirsoft's blog:

VideoCacheView now supports the split video files of YouTube Web site.
    Thanks for this^^^. Was wondering what was up alright, the mighty vlc still works aswell but alot more steps than I remember.

Downloadhelper can be sent to the addon graveyard methinks.

lol, you were on the ball early to see that post...and I had it deleted less than a min after posting!

and I had it deleted less than a min after posting!

Not fast enough for me... :D

Advertisement