Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re: PS Vita... Is it trolling if...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    A little hate for the PS3, because it went ylod on me during the summer :(

I expect you hate the 360 & Wii too then after they bit the dust

Ciderman, slayer of current gen consoles :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

EnterNow wrote: »
    I expect you hate the 360 & Wii too then after they bit the dust

Ciderman, slayer of current gen consoles :D

bejesus, for the love of god, dont give him PC! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I don't know wtf is going on at all.
    Everything was fine until a lightning storm killed off my PS2, my launch PS2!
    The the PS3 went ylod during the summer followed, 2 weeks later, by my PS3, my lovely 60gb PS3!
    I was at a crossroads and had to decide which I wanted back as I couldn't afford both, so I traded in everything I had for the PS3 and bought a 250gb 360 in HMV for 190 I think it was.
    Then, in November, my Wii, my lovely launch Wii, homebrew channel and all, started to go funny and now that's almost toast as well..

I
    Am
    Not
    A
    Happy
    Bunny!

At least my little collection of retro consoles is working fine....

(actually, my Saturn is doing strange things with one game, Soukyu Gurentai Otokuyo, "got it" twice and the same each time, hopefully that isn't on its way out too!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

(actually, my Saturn is doing strange things with one game, Soukyu Gurentai Otokuyo, "got it" twice and the same each time, hopefully that isn't on its way out too!)

Wern't you having trouble with cue sheets recently :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

There's no comparison at all between psp games and smartphone games. My mind boggles that people are even arguing this seriously. [And I've the original psp with malfunctioning analoguie sticks, and a top-of-the range smartphone.]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,993 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Retr0 is spot on

Playing the same game on VITA or PS3 is no choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I can't really get excited over some of the Vita games. As the PSP proved games that work on console don't necessarily work on a handheld system. It's a big reason the DS took off since it offered experiences that work as a handheld game and you couldn't find on the consoles. I think the PS Vita going for a console like gaming experience on the move is sony making the same mistake twice.
    Could be worse, we could get mobile ports of console games...

Excuse me while I go over there and vomit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,700 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's two versions of Souky. The old version gives garbled text on PAL and US consoles and only works on Japanese consoles properly. An updated version was released that works on import consoles. I'm guessing you just have the older version of the game and it looks like it's glitching, it's a known issue.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

There's two versions of Souky. The old version gives garbled text on PAL and US consoles and only works on Japanese consoles properly. An updated version was released that works on import consoles. I'm guessing you just have the older version of the game and it looks like it's glitching, it's a known issue.

You are a lifesaver!
    I thought my Saturn was about to do something drastic involving Paracetamol and a bottle of vodka, but no, it's the damn disk image!
    Hurrah!
    And give Retr0 a cigar!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Bump.

Vita in week two sold a measly 75,000 units, compared to 480,000 3DS and even 100,000 PSPs in the same timeframe.

Whoops!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Enderman wrote: »
    Bump.

Vita in week two sold a measly 75,000 units, compared to 480,000 3DS and even 100,000 PSPs in the same timeframe.

Whoops!

Any European RRP announced?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,689 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

If I'm stuck on the bog or the train, I'm far more likely to play Game Dev Story for a few minutes than switch on Pokemon (or whatever passes for a game on Sony platforms).

Smartphones will be the real winner because they do handhelds justice.

Mind you, I'd love a real d-pad sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

2 new Android phones arrived in the house this week ZTE RAcer 2 for 70 quid and HTC something for 400 quid.

http://www.supergnes.com/

Phones are going to win this war, Nintendo/Sony could cash in and make their entire back cat available on them.

Havent got to GTA3 yet but looks poorly made, control wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Enderman wrote: »
    Bump.

Whoops!

Woah!
    And Nintendo haven't even unleashed Pokemon yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

I don't get the excitement over the PSVita at all. It reminds me of the time the PSP launched: "At last! Current gen games on a handheld! And it plays movies and stuff too!" Yeah, so what? You want to watch movies on that little screen? And play mobile versions of games that you already bought for the PS3? Internet? Your smartphone already does that!

Admittedly, I was never into handhelds. Even reading on a bus makes me motionsick, so I have to be content with looking out the window and listening to music; the notion of filling that time with a game doesn't appeal to me. As for playing on the toilet...er, no thanks!

Gorgeous looking device, though. Actually makes the original PSP appear homely!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Kinski wrote: »
    I don't get the excitement over the PSVita at all. It reminds me of the time the PSP launched: "At last! Current gen games on a handheld! And it plays movies and stuff too!" Yeah, so what? You want to watch movies on that little screen? And play mobile versions of games that you already bought for the PS3? Internet? Your smartphone already does that!

Admittedly, I was never into handhelds. Even reading on a bus makes me motionsick, so I have to be content with looking out the window and listening to music; the notion of filling that time with a game doesn't appeal to me. As for playing on the toilet...er, no thanks!

Gorgeous looking device, though. Actually makes the original PSP appear homely!

My own first-gen PSP died a while back :( I found it really difficult to play the thing in a moving vehicle, i.e. on a bus or in the back of a car. I liked the Medievil remake and Ridge Racer 2 and for handheld games they were great - they were awfully fiddly and I found it much easier to play it sitting on a chair at home.

The browsing functionality was completely useless! I'm not sure what made browsing worse - the limited hardware spec, the 802.11b WiFi or the browser constantly running out of memory!

Maybe this time they can have a square button that has decent travel, that made actually playing it annoying. Another thing - I can only hope and pray that Sony fix the software updating mechanism for the Vita. Instead of getting a system that needs the entire ROM image to be downloaded and installed, they could release incremental updates and reserve full downloads for major firmware releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

Does anyone think the Vita will end up like the PSP GO, a pointless piece of plastic which ends up costing half its release price 6 months down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Does anyone think the Vita will end up like the PSP GO, a pointless piece of plastic which ends up costing half its release price 6 months down.

having played it... no, absolutely not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

Helix wrote: »
    having played it... no, absolutely not

I am broke and in serious debt but I always find my money for games and am looking forward to the Vita, I bought 2 PSP GO consoles on launch day, the €249.99 Wifi/€299.99 3G price tag is a little daunting but the launch titles do look great.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The PSP go was just a wittled down, UMDless version of the PSP released ages after anyone cared about the PSP.

The Vita is brand new hardware and at the cutting edge of handheld gaming technology.

So no would be the answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

No interest in getting one but I do love the look of the machine, that bubble UI however looks completely amateur.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I can't really get excited over some of the Vita games. As the PSP proved games that work on console don't necessarily work on a handheld system. It's a big reason the DS took off since it offered experiences that work as a handheld game and you couldn't find on the consoles. I think the PS Vita going for a console like gaming experience on the move is sony making the same mistake twice.

thats it really, I bought a psp not long after launch and it wound up gathering dust as I had the "proper" versions of games on my ps2. a new uncharted game you can play while travelling, yay, but given the choice I'd rather play it on a big tv in surround sound than on a handheld.

From previous years of early adopting I can honestly say little is achieved but bragging rights when you buy on launch.
    Little is lost by waiting just 4 to 6 month or so, it's not like the Vita, however magnificent it turns out to be, is going to sell out in the current economic climate.
    By waiting for, say, August or September you'll have more games to choose from, probably some preowned stuff at that.
    The console and memory cards may well be cheaper.
    Buggy firmware should, should, have the kinks worked out as well.

So, despite my yearnings for some new hardware, I can wait for a while.

I'll pick up a replacement PS3 and an early firmware Wii to play with in the meantime.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Le Bump. Vita still falling like a lead balloon in Japan.
    Over the course of four weeks, the number of sold PlayStation Vita units in Japan has dropped from nearly 325K to just over 18K. Sign of the times?
    PlayStation-Vita-3G,D-E-321890-1.jpgloupe.gifZoomMedia Create reports that Sony saw only 18,361 units sold in Japan during the week of January 9 to January 15, its fourth week on the market. By comparison, the cheaper Nintendo 3DS dropped somewhat after the holiday rush as well, but not down to Vita levels, pushing a decent 100,668 units out to paying customers.
    The PlayStation Vita seemed to launch with a bang in Japan [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]back[/COLOR][/COLOR] in December, with 321,400 units sold in just two days right before Christmas. Eventually for the first week, Sony sold a total of 324,859 units, and the handheld console seemed to be a hit.
    But the second week proved otherwise, with the number of units sold dropping down to just 72,479. The third week saw another drastic drop with only 42,648 units flying off store shelves. Now the handheld is barely moving at all in Japan, yet still topping the likes of Nintendo's Wii console, the [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Xbox [COLOR=blue !important]360[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR], and the two DSi models.
    Strangely enough, the original PSP is still selling well, moving 62,746 units last week and 22,538 this week. On the Nintendo front, the company still rules the [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Japanese[/COLOR][/COLOR] market, shelling out 197,952 3DS units last week and 100,668 units this week. The PlayStation 3 is the second-most favorite gaming platform, selling 67,199 units last week and 30,332 this week.
    What may be hurting the PlayStation Vita is its steep pricetag -- a lesson Nintendo learned with its own 3DS handheld in 2011. As of this writing, Sony still plans to keep the Vita's original pricing, requiring $249.99 USD for the Wi-Fi model and $299.99 USD for the 3G/Wi-Fi model. Both will arrive in the States on February 22.

Source here. So.... just over a month to the US release, do you think this is indications that a price drop is in order? Or are they going to keep the prices rolling as it is?

from all this one thing made me really go WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW - PSP sales figures!

werent ps3 sales very bad when it was launched as it was for idiotic money? then it got second wind good few months after launch?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I remain to be convinced. I think it's overpriced - no handheld should cost the same as a 'proper' console, regardless of the the technology. I think the games are overpriced and I'm annoyed by the fact that I have to buy their new proprietary memory cards again at a massively inflated price.

To buy even the standard Wifi Vita with say, two games and a memory card, you're going to be looking at the guts of €350.

On what kind of format are games on? Some new type umd? Or some sort of cards like ds?

o1s1n wrote: »
    The PSP go was just a wittled down, UMDless version of the PSP released ages after anyone cared about the PSP.

The Vita is brand new hardware and at the cutting edge of handheld gaming technology.

So no would be the answer.

But the PSP itself was the full fat, complete version of the tech and it lost big time to inferior hardware.

So, imho, the PSP Vita is doomed.

No sense in being uncertain about these things, I say take a stand, a position and commit!

Oh, it's still tanking in Japan...

http://www.qj.net/ps-vita/news/vita-sales-still-tumbling.html

And, for the record, just because someone plays something and likes/loves it does not mean the device will be a massive success...
    I love my 3DO, my Neo Geo Pocket and my Virtual Boy....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,030 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just wait until they announce Monster Hunter 4G on it. Japanese sales are almost entirely irrelevant until then. The inevitable price drop should do wonders too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yeah but everything pretty much ever, lost big time to the DS. By any yardstick the PSP was a massive success, selling more than 70 million units (still more than the Xbox 360 or PS3).

Advertisement