Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly Fishing on the Dodder

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭jack01986

Got a few more brownies this evening landed 3 of them lost about fur from their acrobatics. One was very close to the pound mark and threw the hook after a massive jump. I'll get him next time. Size 20 deer hair sedge did the damage again.
    1308077133034.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Lads do ye know which council is in charge of managing the river? I don't fish but just run along it. A tree fell before the huge weir at firhouse and a load of rubbish built up. Also i walked along the river near the rathfarnham end of the firhouse rd and there is a strong smell of sewage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

On the fishing club membship card it gives inland fisheries as 1890 347 424 and local council water polution dept emergent no as 087 2584174

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭david_1888

Was up around Ballsbridge this evening for an hour or so, not many hatches at all, few rises too.
    If anybody is familiar with the Ballsbridge area, theres one about 1.5-2.5lb and he has a very strange marking near his tail, its like a white patch or stain on him, anybody know what this could be or see this chappy around?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

its fungus that generally grows on wounds

• Advertisement

Fished on the dodder this evening up by milltown and got a couple of fish. Decided to move down below the waterfall in clonskeagh to see if I could get something else. Managed to get about six small trout as well as a tiny trout about 2inches long. Hooked something that took me into my backing but lost it after a few head shakes sea trout maybe had the heart pumping though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

I saw three different foxes around the lansdowne dart station last night. they stood within a few feet of me. people are feeding different sets. i got a feeling its going to end badly for them.

also saw a rat whose body was a foot long and a small trout jump six inches out of the water. the heron nearby was not impressed.

thats a serious amount of city wildlife for a ten minute walk along the dodder from the small bridge from lansdowne to ballsbridge.

Sorry about the crappy picture it was starting to get dark. My biggest wild trout on the dodder to date he was about 3/4 of a pound not a huge fish but it put up an impressive fight. Got two other fish as well earlier on but nothing of any size.

If anyone found a green foam fly box over the last few days its mine I must have left it down somewhere. Have to get a marathon tying session in now to restock the box.

Spotted what I thought was an otter, it looked a bit bigger than a mink.

1312144844221.jpg

Managed to get out a couple of times this week already seem to getting a better stamp of fish the last few times out mixed in with some smaller ones. Managed another fish around 3/4 of a pound no picture as it was dark enough. Here are some others though. Anyone else been out recently?
    1313091991704.jpg
    1312920843147.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

jack01986 wrote: »
    Managed to get out a couple of times this week already seem to getting a better stamp of fish the last few times out mixed in with some smaller ones. Managed another fish around 3/4 of a pound no picture as it was dark enough. Here are some others though. Anyone else been out recently?
    1313091991704.jpg
    1312920843147.jpg

I was hyming and hawing about goin down tonight ended up hitting the Liffey instead. Got feck all wasn't anything happening. Should have hit the dodder! What parts do you fish?

• Advertisement

thehamo wrote: »
    I was hyming and hawing about goin down tonight ended up hitting the Liffey instead. Got feck all wasn't anything happening. Should have hit the dodder! What parts do you fish?

I fish around the milltown area mostly but do some around Clonskeagh as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 peter74

thehamo wrote: »

I tried Liffey yesterday as well, but water has been released from Golden Fall dam. Not fishable at all. So l moved to Dodder. What a surprise, river was flooded. Water was released from Bohernabreena
    :(

peter74 wrote: »
    I tried Liffey yesterday as well, but water has been released from Golden Fall dam. Not fishable at all. So l moved to Dodder. What a surprise, river was flooded. Water was released from Bohernabreena
    :(

Ye it was fairly high to be honest but I still managed to get some fish out of it last night. There was a good hatch of fly going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

De La Salle College Churchtown Dublin 14.

Sports Complex

Monday 27th February 2012

7.30 pm

Dodder Angers AGM.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

Was checking my browser bookmarks and while I still have the address for Clonskeagh Angling (which seems sadly quite dormant) I couldn't find the web site for the Dodder fishing website which Tony (the bailiff at the lakes) used take care of - does anyone know if it's still live and if it is, what the address is?

On a secondary note can someone inform Red that I'm fairly sure there has to be some members used to maintaining websites (even myself at a pinch) who could maintain/update that site for free? While Tony did (does?) try to maintain it, it's not one of his responsibilities and, in all fairness, he shouldn't be asked to do it. It would be a pity if the largest fishing club in the country couldn't maintain it's own website.

Evac101 wrote: »
    Was checking my browser bookmarks and while I still have the address for Clonskeagh Angling (which seems sadly quite dormant) I couldn't find the web site for the Dodder fishing website which Tony (the bailiff at the lakes) used take care of - does anyone know if it's still live and if it is, what the address is?

On a secondary note can someone inform Red that I'm fairly sure there has to be some members used to maintaining websites (even myself at a pinch) who could maintain/update that site for free? While Tony did (does?) try to maintain it, it's not one of his responsibilities and, in all fairness, he shouldn't be asked to do it. It would be a pity if the largest fishing club in the country couldn't maintain it's own website.

I think this would be a brilliant idea if it was updated more regularly. I dont have too much experience with maintaining websites but would happily help out as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 b.w.ollie

the site tony ran was daa.com (on wetpaint) the site seems to be blocked now .if you google daa though you will get the dublin airport authority

an active facebook page would be a lot easier to work than a webpage. very little experience needed in editing, etc, all very self explanitary

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Irish Sport Fishing

There are some lovely fish in the river at the moment, and hopefully they will be there for others to catch for a long time! Here's a couple from Paddy's Day (see report here - http://irishsportfishing.com/2012/03/21/river-dodder-opening-day-2012/ )

6858078770_0205abfbb5.jpg
    IMG_0881 by IrishSportFishing, on Flickr

6858077324_f895870df2.jpg
    IMG_0854 by IrishSportFishing, on Flickr

6858076538_8760bf1588.jpg
    IMG_0853 by IrishSportFishing, on Flickr

7004193511_81d4bbd1cd.jpg
    IMG_0864 by IrishSportFishing, on Flickr

some crackin looking fish there. Cant wait to get down and try a few flies ive been tying my self!

• Advertisement

Has the height of the river improved? When we visited last (in early March to walk the dogs) the water level seemed really low for this early in the season. Still wonderful to walk/play along though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 buzzardflute

They are some excellent browns you have caught,are they wild or stocked trout?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Irish Sport Fishing

Has the height of the river improved? When we visited last (in early March to walk the dogs) the water level seemed really low for this early in the season. Still wonderful to walk/play along though ;)

There hasn't been much rain over the last few weeks so the river is still quite low. I'd rather it slightly low and clear, than high and dirty.

They are some excellent browns you have caught,are they wild or stocked trout?

They are nice fish alright. They are stocked, although we did get a few smaller wild fish too.

There hasn't been much rain over the last few weeks so the river is still quite low. I'd rather it slightly low and clear, than high and dirty.

Agreed, but high and clear at this early stage of the season would be even nicer though ;)

Managed a couple of wild trout yesterday on the dry fly. River looked in great condition.
    1332516007112.jpg

Got out today for a couple of hours. Managed 4 small wild trout on a greenwells glory. Good day out tho the river is looking very low at the moment

Anyone else been out recently the river looked in great condition after the rain over the last few weeks. Managed two trout in an hours fishing on an olive klinkhammer size 14.

IMG_0025.jpg
    IMG_0026.jpg
    IMG_0024.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭delux

Jack, whereabouts did you get those trout? I haven't tried the dodder but i go to Boharnabreena a bit.

delux wrote: »
    Jack, whereabouts did you get those trout? I haven't tried the dodder but i go to Boharnabreena a bit.

Anyhwere around the dropping well is good I got those just a bit down from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 love to fly fish

Would a dry adams or grey duster fly work this time of year i have a few of both paterns in small sizes and what size be best for dodder i also have few black midges. Going to get out on the dodder soon but what fly would i be best giving a shot at and would i get away with using the grey duster fly through out the coming months any suggestions please.

Advertisement