Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If there was 2 political parites Ireland, ultra-left and ultra-right, who ??

• 02-03-2012 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Would an ultra-right or ultra-left have any place in Ireland??

Which one would you vote for??

Which one would you expect to win??

So I'm talking about an extreme George Bush, tax slashing, military loving, church going Red guy, in favour of "blood for oil policies" and letting the greedy rich get richer while the working man gets poorer ...

Or a pro abortion, pro gay marriage, pro money wasting, taxes and levies, high taxes, attacking people with cars as stealth taxing etc, ultra wealth redistribution etc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

So I'm talking about an extreme George Bush, tax slashing, military loving, church going Red guy ...

Or a pro abortion, pro gay marriage, pro money wasting, foolish taxes and levies, high taxes, attacking people with cars etc.

Im pro right.
    that doesn't sound anything like Marx or Lenin!

so you're a right wing soldier boy and Jesus freak? explains your misconceptions about left wing policy

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Hayte

This is a very strange exercise. You take the entire spectrum of political, social and economic discourse and then disregard all of it except for a rigid set of extreme ideals on opposite ends of the spectrum.

This is like being forced to choose between stupid and stupider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 ammuctsngames

Hayte wrote: »
    This is a very strange exercise. You take the entire spectrum of political, social and economic discourse and then disregard all of it except for a rigid set of extreme ideals on opposite ends of the spectrum.

This is like being forced to choose between stupid and stupider.

Good point, I'm merely pointing out the bad sides to both spectrums of political ideology, essentially either one is get shot in the heart or shot in the head, either way you're gonna die. Most political parties in Ireland are centrist with the exception of "the Shinners" and the "united left alliance" but apart from that the majority are centrist, I am just poling the populace as to whether they would identify themselves as left or right if they had to choose one of the extremes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    And we're off! Gerry McCabe...............................................

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Neither.
    Also as using the President Bush, a social conservative, as an example as extreme is a tad OOT.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

So I'm talking about an extreme George Bush, tax slashing, military loving, church going Red guy ...

Or a pro abortion, pro gay marriage, pro money wasting, foolish taxes and levies, high taxes, attacking people with cars etc.

Im pro right.

That's what neccessarily ultra-right. Ron Paul is a capitalist and a libertarian. I see no problem in pro gay marriage and I'm economically right wing. I'm right wing and want ZERO military spending.

I wouldn't vote if my options were the two above although you poorly portray both sides of the political spectrum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Neither, and certainly not hard right.. The more right-wing someone is, the generally less intelligent they are. At least, that's the case in American politics.

Good point, I'm merely pointing out the bad sides to both spectrums of political ideology, essentially either one is get shot in the heart or shot in the head, either way you're gonna die. Most political parties in Ireland are centrist with the exception of "the Shinners" and the "united left alliance" but apart from that the majority are centrist, I am just poling the populace as to whether they would identify themselves as left or right if they had to choose one of the extremes.

and for the record I am in favour of gay marriage, as some of my friends are gay

• Advertisement

is that so? how are these right wing people so wealthy (as most of them are) I though the majority of the aristocrats would be in favour of right wing parties in order to pervent the ultra left from eating into their money?

I have to admit I am a little ignorant when it comes to politics

dlofnep wrote: »
    Neither, and certainly not hard right.. The more right-wing someone is, the generally less intelligent they are. At least, that's the case in American politics.
    is that so? how are these right wing people so wealthy (as most of them are) I though the majority of the aristocrats would be in favour of right wing parties in order to pervent the ultra left from eating into their money?

dlofnep wrote: »

Obama has added 8 trillion dollars or so onto national debt. Ron Paul plans to cut debt by 2.2 trillion over the next 4 years. Ron Paul is clearly the smarter of all the Republican candidates. I think a more accurate statement would be the less intelligent are generally bible lovers. You know the 'burn the gays I'm a patriot' type of person.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Im pro right.

Your definitions of right and especially, of left are skewed. You seem to be making the assumption that left and right are synonymous to liberal and conservative, respectively.

To address the question though, I do not believe that ideals of left and right are something to be encouraged. Neither system can truly be said to be superior because either will fail when taken to extremes. The best course of action is, as with many things in life, the middle way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

BOHtox wrote: »
    Obama has added 8 trillion dollars or so onto national debt. Ron Paul plans to cut debt by 2.2 trillion over the next 4 years. Ron Paul is clearly the smarter of all the Republican candidates. I think a more accurate statement would be the less intelligent are generally bible lovers. You know the 'burn the gays I'm a patriot' type of person.

Even if we woke up tomorrow in a world where Cats and dogs made love, pigs could fly and Ron Paul got elected, he would not get his 2.2 trillion plan through the houses. and it wouldnt be a democrat only brick wall either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭GSF

So I'm talking about an extreme George Bush, tax slashing, military loving, church going Red guy, in favour of "blood for oil policies" and letting the greedy rich get richer while the working man gets poorer ...

Bush spent a lot more on social programmes hence one of the reasons why the US has such a deficit. The OP is just a cartoon of left and right based on something he once read in The Guardian.

again I am aware that my descriptions are ott stereotypes, the only question I am asking is whether you would rather live under extreme right and consrevative policies, or extreme left liberal policies

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

I'm not sure this thread deserves to live, but while it does, keep the flamebait and trench warfare to a minimum.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement

again I am aware that my descriptions are ott stereotypes, the only question I am asking is whether you would rather live under extreme right and consrevative policies, or extreme left liberal policies

You can be extremely conservative and extremely liberal at the same time.

bothaxes.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭SeanW

As a Centre-Libertarian, I would find both options unacceptable and spoil my vote.

Your choices are also somewhat simplistic, as you say there is a George Bush Right, but also a Ron Paul right.

From your simplistic view I find both equally objectionable.

But in your simplistic view, I would expect the Extreme Left version to win, indeed we have some of that for now ... though I support gay marriage (or at least civil unions).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭SeanW

Just a quick point, there's a 2D graph that more accurately reflects one's viewpoint, Authoritarian/Libertarian vs. Left/Right.

So you can have Authoritarian-Left, Authoritarian Right. etc.
    Needless to say Sinn Fein vs. George Bush Jr. would be prime examples respectively of them.

But you could always be Libertarian-Left, i.e. focusing on things like gay marriage/civil unions, drug legalisation, anti-war etc.
    Or Authoritarian-Left i.e. focusing on looking for new ways to redistribute wealth and strange businesses with silly regulations etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Pacifist Pigeon

Or a pro abortion, pro gay marriage, pro money wasting, taxes and levies, high taxes, attacking people with cars as stealth taxing etc, ultra wealth redistribution etc

That's hardly far left or right you're getting at. Far left is communism (Marxist-Leninism, Maoism, Trotskyism) and extreme social progressivism - gay marriage/adoption would only touch on the surface. You're talking about gender/race quotas, ultra political correctness and massive social engineering programmes aimed at making society more "equal".

In terms of the far right, well, remember the Nazi party? In a social sense, you're talking about extreme Social Darwinism brought into government policy (such as race-based eugenics), stripping the citizenship of racial minorities, moral religious ethnics becoming government policy. On the economic sphere, you're talking about state capitalism and corporatism - fascism, basically.

Both the far right and far left are pretty draconian and dystopic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Irish people don't like parties with clear ideologies - it's best to say as little as possible. Like the PDs got loads of votes when it wasn't clear what they stood for beyond "progress", "democracy" and hating Charlie Haughey; they dropped to nothing once it became clear that they were libertarian right.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,495 ✭✭✭✭walshb

After careful consideration I will lean to the right!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Ultra left wouldn't work in Ireland because of the strength of the rural tradition here (farmers wouldn't want to give up their lands to the government) but I suppose ultra right would work because we're all bloody racists anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I don't care for political labels. I would vote for a party that believed in pro-abortion, anti-military, complete separation of church from education, pro gay marriage and multiculturalism.

I imagine there's not many of those parties about back home :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I'd happily live under "extreme" libertarian policies, because such policies would amount to "Leave people alone and let them get on with their lives without unwarranted government interference."

No, I would not want to live under extreme conservative or left-wing policies.[/Quote]

While I don't agree with the libertarian viewpoint, if we have to have some fom of extreme government it is the preferable option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

True. It was a stupid point to make IMO. Some of the best people in political history came from the right wing.

Advertisement