Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion v2]

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

And Bob was discussing the street decorations with Louie during the week, on Thursday I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'm fed up of Louie and Bob's fighting and why the hell is Christy friends with both of them still :confused: they both stole his women

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Fittle wrote: »
    I often wonder at the impact of advertising like this though - would Christy's shop being a Spar, now make you go to a Spar when you wouldn't have previously?

There's a SuperValu down the road from me and there's a Spar about 15 miles from where I live, but ever since I've been watching Christy's new shop in Fair City I have this strange compunction to get 3 buses to the Spar shop to get a box of Celebrations, a salad roll and a bottle of water. I guess subliminal advertising really does work! ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I'm fed up of Louie and Bob's fighting and why the hell is Christy friends with both of them still :confused: they both stole his women

It is all a bit panto... :( I think Christy wants to move on, life is short, there is no point in hating people.

angel01 wrote: »
    It is all a bit bad panto... :( I think Christy wants to move on, life is short, there is no point in hating people.

FYP ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Sigourney

angel01 wrote: »
    Have to say I thought the camera work was very poor in the last few episodes, on Thursdays episode, it was very poor, it was making me feel sea sick with the camera shaking so much :eek:
    +1

I thought the shop looked like something from a German expressionist film the other night. I felt strangely dissociated.

f2ff002d50.jpg

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

Absolutely. It makes Christy look like a right prune...

Sunday, Dec 18
    A whole host of Carrigstown residents have slept on the street overnight. Bob is delighted with the amount raised and how the idea was a huge success, so he offers free breakfast to everyone. Soon afterwards, Bob asks Val where the collection bucket is. When she says that she doesn't have it, Eileen accuses Bob of stealing the bucket. Shocked, he walks away.

Bob's accusers follow him out of the Hungry Pig and he tries to explain that he didn't take it, while Sean tells a furious Eileen that she's not being fair on Bob. Later, Zumo and Decco arrive at the Hungry Pig and announce to everyone that they found out who really stole the sleep-out money. Bob thanks the Bishops for clearing his name and they reach an understanding.

Meanwhile, an excited Caoimhe convinces Orla to go shoplifting again. Though Orla is slow to agree, she's finally persuaded to do so. Caoimhe and Orla head into town and Orla bores Caoimhe with her list of rules. Caoimhe doesn't listen and steals a whole host of stuff for herself and some for Orla as well.

Elsewhere, Suzanne accepts that moving home makes the most financial sense, but inadvertently hurts Bela in the process - saying that she's moving to save money and not to live with him. In McCoys, a big celebration takes place for Rachel's adoption, but Suzanne feels caught in a tug of love between Bela and Esther as they both want to spend time with her.

Tuesday, Dec 20
    Jo and Dermot get an upsetting phone call when they learn that Kelly and Zoe's father is sick, so they won't be able to go home to him for Christmas. They are forced to break the news to the pair, but promise that they will try and make this Christmas as happy for the girls as possible. However, Kelly soon announces that she is going to see her dad, and Jo and Dermot fail to stop her.

Soon afterwards, Dermot runs after Kelly, telling her that he is going to accompany her to the hospital. Later, Jo and Dermot vow to adopt the girls' family Christmas to make them feel at home.

Meanwhile, Orla tells Caoimhe that she doesn't have time to buy a Christmas present for Esther, so Caoimhe promises that she will steal a present for her. Caoimhe tells Orla that all of her Christmas presents are going to be stolen this year.

Elsewhere, Eileen prepares for Christmas and notes that Vivienne is upset because Denzo won't be home this Christmas. She urges the rest of the family to be considerate towards Vivienne.

Also today, Val tells Christy that he shouldn't be on his own this Christmas and that he should spend it with her, her daughter and grandson.

Wed, Dec 21
    Bob has organised a community event for Santas to sing and give children presents. A gang of Santas get off the bus outside the community centre, and one in particular is very nervous-looking. Zoe takes a special liking to the quiet Santa and goes up to talk to him. She follows him into the park, where they sit and chat about her sick dad.

Back at the community centre, Jo realises that Zoe is missing and completely panics. Tommy goes to the park looking for her, so the mysterious Santa persuades Zoe to go out to Tommy and go back to Carrigstown with him. Back at Monastery Avenue, the strange Santa enters the house and they are shocked when he reveals himself as Denzo. He pleads with his bother to let him see his mum and gran and is delighted when they finally agree to do so.

Meanwhile, Bob parts on bad terms with Rebecca, telling her that he never wants to see her again.

Elsewhere, Esther decides to pretend to Charlie that they're having a 'Slim Star meal' for Christmas Day; Sash chats to Dean about her past Christmases; Niamh asks a delighted Orla for dinner at their house; Suzanne reveals the sex of her unborn child to Esther but she makes her promise not to say it to Bela; while Pete annoys Dolores by saying that he won't have much time before Christmas to hang out with her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Well at leased that explains where Orla is getting the luxury cloths from. And is the Spar a real Spar in RTE , it's fairly well stocked. Like all the fresh food would need to be replaced everywhere. I hope the tax payer is not footing that bill!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭C-J

Its not a real spar but has all the elements of one. I know the kabin in coronation street always keep the stock in date. I read somewhere that in places like the hungry pig a sort of varnish is applied to the doughnuts on display etc to make them look appetising and fresh. I would imagine that the fruit veg etc in the spar would just be replaced regularly and probably donated to food shelters etc thats what lidl aldi etc do with their left over food!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

I was fairly impressed with the Spar thing...I mean..they actually decked out a whole shop..properly. From labels to feckin offers..fairly meticulous. Accurate prices and everything...Yoplait 62c each :P

msg11 wrote: »
    And is the Spar a real Spar in RTE , it's fairly well stocked. Like all the fresh food would need to be replaced everywhere. I hope the tax payer is not footing that bill!

I'm wondering about all those extras who they'll have to pay for walking around the shop. When Christy had his small shop they could get away with having no customers in it, apart from the odd one or two, but now practically every scene in the Spar shop is going to need plenty of extras so that it doesn't look too deserted. It wouldn't look good for Spar if they didn't have any customers. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭C-J

I'm wondering about all those extras who they'll have to pay for walking around the shop. When Christy had his small shop they could get away with having no customers in it, apart from the odd one or two, but now practically every scene in the Spar shop is going to need plenty of extras so that it doesn't look too deserted. It wouldn't look good for Spar if they didn't have any customers. :D

true! :D i was hoping they'd have a breakfast bar /coffee dock like some stores, everybody in carrigstown has breakfast /lunch and dinner out and drinks copious amounts of coffee so christy would be cleaning up!

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Long Room Hubba

That's a great point. We have to see these sixteen employees from time to time. But Spar are paying more than enough, I would say. It's nearly a million euro over three years. That's enough to hire a bus load of extras to walk through the shop chanting the specials of the day.

I wonder if it will work the other way. Will Spar start using Fair City people in their ads now?

Caoimhe gets more annoying every bloody episode wish she had stayed away on holidays permanently

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭pavcro10

Caoimhe gets more annoying every bloody episode wish she had stayed away on holidays permanently

Amen to that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭iceblue

i loved her 'dad prefers nessa to me' monologue....and the 'middle child syndrome her and decco apparently suffer from' .... all topped off with 'get yer apples'.... excellent writing. spot on. ive started to like her now. fair city never fails to make me laugh.... will they do an hour long christmas special?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jane Eyre

iceblue wrote: »
    i loved her 'dad prefers nessa to me' monologue....and the 'middle child syndrome her and decco apparently suffer from' .... all topped off with 'get yer apples'.... excellent writing. spot on. ive started to like her now. fair city never fails to make me laugh.... will they do an hour long christmas special?

Yeah, but she's not the middle child. Has she forgotten about Zak?

Also has anybody noticed how dark every scene is? Carrickstown seems to be powered by a single 40 watt bulb.

How come Decco was able to spend the night at Keith and Orla's place a few weeks ago at their "mad party" if he's supposed to be under a curfew?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

How come Decco was able to spend the night at Keith and Orla's place a few weeks ago at their "mad party" if he's supposed to be under a curfew?? :confused:

Were they also not away on holiday together for 3 weeks?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Carstuck

They said last night that he broke it a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

But surely if he was under curfew he has to sign in to a Garda station a few times a week?Or even have his passport taken off him?they left the country for 3 weeks!Don't like criticising the shows writers (and rarely do) but sometimes they really don't help themselves.

All I want is some continuity and realism. Is that so hard to ask?!

Murdoc90 wrote: »
    But surely if he was under curfew he has to sign in to a Garda station a few times a week?Or even have his passport taken off him?they left the country for 3 weeks!Don't like criticising the shows writers (and rarely do) but sometimes they really don't help themselves.

All I want is some continuity and realism. Is that so hard to ask?!

The storyline has more holes in it than a lump of Swiss cheese. The writers must have the collective memory of a goldfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jane Eyre

Iremember them sdaying Caoimhe was in Lanzarote but i don't think Decco was with her. Didn't someone say that Decco was moping because she'd gone?

Murdoc90 wrote: »
    Were they also not away on holiday together for 3 weeks?!

Decco wasnt on holiday with her

Maeve Binchy and her husband Gordon Snell are the special guests in Fair City on RTÉ One tonight, Wednesday December 14.

The writers appear as part of a storyline which sees Bob's (Bryan Murray) plans for a fundraiser backfire on him when he gets on the wrong side of Val (Rose Henderson).

Commenting, Murray said: "The cast and crew were so excited to have Maeve and Gordon on set. It was great. They were a pleasure to work with and such professionals. I hope they come back again!"

Fair City is on RTÉ One tonight at 7:30pm.

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2011/1214/faircity.html

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭rogercar

iceblue wrote: »
    Last nights episode was the most boring and tedious in a while. Bella, Charlie and Cass are so dull and boring at the best of times. Esthers sitting room looked like a set from an amateur dramatics group. No Christmas athmosphere,hardly any Christmas lights or decorations in the residents houses/appartments. Dont start me on the pub. It badly needs a facelift/makeover. Realistically would Louie and Carol feck off to the states at their busiest time of year, especially as they were there not so long ago. Christmas hourlong episode? Yes! But there is no episode on the Thursday before Christmas, so they are basically putting that Thursdays and Sunday 25th episodes together so that is the Fair City Christmas "SPECIAL" episode. And with Leo taking his guitar out again, well it's not looking good!

rogercar wrote: »
    Last nights episode was the most boring and tedious in a while. Bella, Charlie and Cass are so dull and boring at the best of times.

Whatever happened with that woman who Bella befriended at Rita's hospital? That could have had a lot of potential, ie Bella wracked with guilt as he's attracted to her, possible affair etc. but it didn't seem to go anywhere. Cass just isn't funny. Eamon Morrissey would be far better off playing a serious role, he's wasted playing the one-dimensional Cass. The scene with Charlie on his knees when they walked in the door was too clunky. Should have ended up on the cutting room floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭rogercar

Whatever happened with that woman who Bella befriended at Rita's hospital? That could have had a lot of potential, ie Bella wracked with guilt as he's attracted to her, possible affair etc. but it didn't seem to go anywhere. Cass just isn't funny. Eamon Morrissey would be far better off playing a serious role, he's wasted playing the one-dimensional Cass. The scene with Charlie on his knees when they walked in the door was too clunky. Should have ended up on the cutting room floor.
    The enire episode should have ended up on the cutting room floor! A slightly better episode tonight.

• Advertisement

rogercar wrote: »
    Last nights episode was the most boring and tedious in a while. Bella, Charlie and Cass are so dull and boring at the best of times. Esthers sitting room looked like a set from an amateur dramatics group. No Christmas athmosphere,hardly any Christmas lights or decorations in the residents houses/appartments. Dont start me on the pub. It badly needs a facelift/makeover. Realistically would Louie and Carol feck off to the states at their busiest time of year, especially as they were there not so long ago. Christmas hourlong episode? Yes! But there is no episode on the Thursday before Christmas, so they are basically putting that Thursdays and Sunday 25th episodes together so that is the Fair City Christmas "SPECIAL" episode. And with Leo taking his guitar out again, well it's not looking good!

I don't have any christmas lights or decorations in my house, have never done any of that since I left my parents house. Heck, this year, I am not even bothering to celebrate Christmas at all :D Not everyone celebrates it you know....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement