Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best residence in UCD ?

• 20-06-2006 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi everyone !
    :)

Next year I'm going to be in UCD as an Erasmus students (for those who do not know yet :D ) and I would like to find accommodation on campus. I have to chose between Merville, Belgrove and Blackrock for my accommodation request form (If I am lucky enough to be selected !)

Could you give me your impressions on those residences ?
    I think Blackrock is a little bit cheaper but it is not located on the main campus from what I've seen on the UCD website..

Thank you all for your answers and sorry for my bad English :eek:

Anneju

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

blackrock is about a 40 minute walk from the main campus alright and it's not serviced very well by buses. i wouldn't live there if i was studying in belfield.

between merville and belgrove it's a much of a muchness but i always thought belgrove was a little bit nicer.

eta: also belgrove is all three-bedroom flats, whereas merville is mainly four-bedroom.. personally i like to live with as few people as possible so if i'd to pick i'd go for belgrove, but your mileage may vary..

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gregd

Ah its def gota be belgrove;)

i know some people who will disagree but;
    Its the closest to the main campus,
    The apartments are nicer
    Its got some of the best parties...but suppose that depends on who you get to know!
    The couches are a lot more comfortable if your mates cant make their way home after a night out.
    The RA´s (the people in charge) were nicer

but on the other hand the food shop is over at merville and the fire alarm doesnt go off quite as much over there! (Dont worry there wasnt one real fire all year, i think)

So i´d have to recommend Belgrove:D

désolé si vous ne comprenez pas l'un peu ce que j'ai écrit mais mon Français n'est pas très bon!
    j'espère que vous avez une bonne fête demain soir :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

I'd go with Merville. Belgrove ain't called the Bronx for nothing. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Heya,ive lived in belgrove and roebuck.
    belgrove is without a shadow of a doubt the best place to live on campus. Its better socially,location and money wise. Merville have these really annoying cards for elctricity that you have to buy from the shop,so you're electricity can go any times the meter runs out. I really enjoyed my year in belgrove.My bro lived there for three years in a row cos he loved it so much.

However,If I was you I would not put down any prefrence on your form.You dont want to come across choosy and you will prob have more chance of getting it if you dont put down a prefrence. Also they are more then likely to put you in merville if your an erasmus student.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Anneju

Thank you for your advice ! :)
    I think I have no other choice but to put my preference on the form, so I think I will put Belgrove first (although I'm a bit worried by this "bronx" stuff... it is a safe place ??), mervile second and then blackrock... I hope it won't lessen my chances to get a room on the campus !

And gregd, your French is good! yesterday, for the "fete de la musique", it was raining so it was not as great as last year... :(

• Advertisement

Anneju wrote:
    it is a safe place ??)
    Yea, it's grand. There's one murder every 3 years but that's about the height of it. :p

Am thinking of applying to Glenomena.....do you live with a mix of both girls and guys or can you live with just girls??I want to get a friend of mine to move in to glenomena with me but she's muslim and doesnt want to live with blokes.I asked the other day and they said that its always three girls and three boys in a house.Dont you think they should make exceptions for foregn students with strict religous beliefs that wouldn't be comfortable living with guys??

They usually try and get it half and half with regards gender. But I've known a few apts to be an all male or 5 girls and 1 guy, etc.

If you approached them and explained why you wanted an all female apt (ie on religious grounds) then they might be willing to accomodate you. But you'd have a stronger case if you had 6 girls willing to live altogether.

You could always get one of the student advisors to help out.

As a side note I wonder if refusing the girl's application cos she wanted to live with girls because of religious beliefs could be taken as being against equality legislation?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

panda100 wrote:
    Am thinking of applying to Glenomena.....do you live with a mix of both girls and guys or can you live with just girls??I want to get a friend of mine to move in to glenomena with me but she's muslim and doesnt want to live with blokes.I asked the other day and they said that its always three girls and three boys in a house.Dont you think they should make exceptions for foregn students with strict religous beliefs that wouldn't be comfortable living with guys??

My friend's house was four girls and two guys.

irlrobins wrote:
    They usually try and get it half and half with regards gender. But I've known a few apts to be an all male or 5 girls and 1 guy, etc.

If you approached them and explained why you wanted an all female apt (ie on religious grounds) then they might be willing to accomodate you. But you'd have a stronger case if you had 6 girls willing to live altogether.

You could always get one of the student advisors to help out.

As a side note I wonder if refusing the girl's application cos she wanted to live with girls because of religious beliefs could be taken as being against equality legislation?

Did some enquiries today and they said that you cant get a house with just all girls in it even if its on religous grounds.They dont do it that way cos its not fair blah blah.Was asking my mate today and she knows 6 malaysians who were 5th year meds in Vincents last year and they werent allowed to stay in glenomena cos there has to be a mix of sexes in the houses.

• Advertisement
Advertisement