Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which maternity hospital in Dublin to pick???

• 27-08-2009 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

hope all of yous are well. :)
    I am trying to make a decission which maternity hospital in Dublin to pick for having my first baby in..
    Seams like tough enough decission... different people different experience obviously.. I still need a bit of advice..
    I already know I am not able to go with Mount Carmel since they are very dear! I have good enough plan with VHI but the amount they would contribute for having the baby in Mount Carmel is really funny more then anything else..
    I am thinkin about going semi privat but even there I am not too sure which hospital to choose plus I mite not even have the choice wide as I called around and in one of them.. particulary Rothunda.. they told me I was way too late trying to book the appointent.. I am in my 10th week now and only found out few days ago and they are saying I am late already.. a bit scary on the top of everything else...
    Anyway.. can yous please let me know your experience..if you have any with places like Rothunda, Holles Street and Combee maybe? I would really appreciate it...
    Also if you have positive experience with any other maternity hospital let me know too.
    Pregnancy is apparently suppose to be enjoyable time but so far it feels like lot of sick days and a lot of stress over loads of other issues :)
    Thank you so much!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lalalulu

Hi Elle13.. Congrat's on your pregnancy :)
    I had my daughter in holles st 10 months ago. I found it a great hospital to have my baby. The hospital itself is quite old but it's very well kept and the staff are great. Now i did come across a few staff member's who weren't the friendliest (sp?) but ya know yourself in all walk's of life people can be rude!
    So in regard's to going semi, private or public i can see the difference with semi and public being the time you have to wait for your outpatient's appointment's. As far as i know in holles st semi private appointments are in the afternoon's while public patient's wait a lot longer to be seen on the day.
    I don't know much about private care except it's expensive :P
    I would recommend holles st to anyone and if i do have another baby i will definitely go back. Hope this helps... Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Honestly, for public and semi-private, most Dublin hospitals are more or less the same, and you'll hear good and bad stories about all of them. One thing you may want to consider is where you live/ work, especially if you don't plan on doing combined care and going to your GP for a lot of the early pregnancy appointments. Ie if you live in South Dublin and work there too, do you really want to bother with Dublin city center traffic for every appointment, and then when you go into labour?

I went to H Street, private, but spent the first two nights after birth in a semi-private room. Found it very good- nice nurses, good food etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Elle13

Thanks a mill girls.. helps a lot to hear the experience.
    Now I am coming across another question... combined care or all in hospital????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭janbaby

A huge reason we picked The Coombe is the parking. I would hate to be in labour driving around town looking for a space and then worrying about being clamped!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lalalulu

Janbaby believe me when you are in labour you won't give a sh*t if your car is clamped :P
    OP i went with combined care i think it's the best thing to do if you go public as it get's very busy in the outpatient's dept. The less you have to go into the hospital the better in my opinion. It's not that the hospital experience is bad but just it can get stressful when your carrying a huge bump around :o

• Advertisement

Thanks again to all of you..
    I know that I would not be picking the hospital by the parking option and thats for sure... there are other lots more important things to think of before parking...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

If you are overall healthy enough you can consider community midwives. waiting times are way shorter and if something doesn't look good they'll arrange for you to see a doctor anyway.

Holles st. midwives cover south dublin and wicklow. there's something similar in rotunda, but the coverage is not very good.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I had my girl in January in holles st.
    The staff are fantastic:)
    I really can not complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭eimsRV

I had my daughter in Holles St in January. I went private with combined care through GP. In the early stages this was handy as I didn't have to go in to town each time, but due to problems with pregnancy ended up in HS quite a bit in the 3rd trimester.
    Everyone I dealt with in Holles St were wonderful. Parking can be a bit of a pain but wouldn't be a huge consideration. I really felt myself and my daughter were so well cared for, and would definetly choose this hospital again.
    Number of private rooms is limited so if you go semi-private and your helth insurance cover private accomm I don't think there is much chance of getting a private room as the consultants seem to book them for their patients as far as i could see. I'm not sure if this differs in others hospitals? Also food was decent.
    One minor point was they were introducing a new television scheme so each bed have their own tv with phone and internet, but you had to pay for this.
    I was in hospital for a week, and my dd was in ICU so I watched TV a bit to pass the time. Found this a bit of a pain as the system crashed quite often. Hopefully they've ironed out the creases now but again its not a huge factor :)

Best of luck with your pregnancy

x

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

eimsRV wrote: »
    I had my daughter in Holles St in January. I went private with combined care through GP. In the early stages this was handy as I didn't have to go in to town each time, but due to problems with pregnancy ended up in HS quite a bit in the 3rd trimester.
    Everyone I dealt with in Holles St were wonderful. Parking can be a bit of a pain but wouldn't be a huge consideration. I really felt myself and my daughter were so well cared for, and would definetly choose this hospital again.
    Number of private rooms is limited so if you go semi-private and your helth insurance cover private accomm I don't think there is much chance of getting a private room as the consultants seem to book them for their patients as far as i could see. I'm not sure if this differs in others hospitals? Also food was decent.
    One minor point was they were introducing a new television scheme so each bed have their own tv with phone and internet, but you had to pay for this.
    I was in hospital for a week, and my dd was in ICU so I watched TV a bit to pass the time. Found this a bit of a pain as the system crashed quite often. Hopefully they've ironed out the creases now but again its not a huge factor :)

Best of luck with your pregnancy

x
    I am goimg there, glad about the net!

• Advertisement

Thanks a mill again to all of you girls.
    All of your experience helped and I was quite under preassure to pick and book the hospital so now I have it done.
    I am going to Holles st. semi-privat. They told me I was late booking in but they squeezed me in so my first appointment is only week away..
    I have still a good bit to go but I can't wait for the little one to arrive!
    Thanks again and the best of luck to all of yous.
    xxx

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I was in the Merrion wing(private rooms) early January and a girl came around selling cards to use the tv but there was no internet access.
    Though my other half had his laptop and 3G card with him so we were online within hours!
    I did not bother with the tv though due to having a small baby girl to stare at:)
    It is lovely there,the food menus are nice too.They bring you tea during the day too.
    I would go back anytime!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I trained and worked as a midwife in Holles St, and although I don't work there anymore, I'm going back there to have my baby in December.

Not bothering with Private/Semi Private. The care is as good whether you go public or private. The midwives and staff are the same whichever scheme you choose.

I'd definately recommend using the Domino scheme if you can! Its a brilliant service and one that I would be using if I was in the catchment area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

I was originally goin to go to Holles Street public as thats where i had been attending for all my womens problems:o went for my 1st app when I was about 17 weeks (only found out i was preggers a month before) I have to say the doctor was soooo rude to me basically told me to get up on the bed.Checked my heartbeat did a scan for 2 seconds which I couldnt see. When I asked him when do I get my proper scan (anomoly scan) his reply was 'what is wrong with this scan jesus were doing our best' then barked at me not to put on over a stone and a half for the whole pregnancy:eek: I walked home in tears. Maybe it was my hormones but I just felt he was very rude.

Anyway my mam rang the rotunda and i managed to get me an app semi-private. I find them brill. I have a scan everytime I go and they are great at monitoring my underactive thyroid. I missed an app once and they were ringing me all morning to make sure I was ok. Thats just my experience anyway. I never had a problem with holles street before that. It was just that doctor....maybe he was havin an off day or something:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭gzoladz

I am having a great experience with Rotunda. I will paste below the review I wrote earlier today in another post

"
    Morning all, we had our baby yesterday!!! We went public in the Rotunda. I am actually in the ward right now as I brought the pc to show my family the new arrival. No complications during the pregnancy at all and we are now enjoying our lovely little Mia.

Re Public. We have yet 1 or 2 days to leave the hospital but the experience has been absolutely fantastic. The care, excelent. The midwives absolutely brilliant, all and every one of them. From the ones that did the checks to my wife during the pregnancy, the polish lady from the ante natal ward, the german midwife that helped us to deliver the baby (Iuta, a genius), the african nurse that dressed my daughter and the multicultural team in the post natal ward.

As my wife went overdue almost 1 week, the last time we came for a check the midwife got us to see a Dr to ensure everything was fine. Obviously we had no appointment but we wait...20 mins only (the "you will get to see the first Doctor available" worked in our favour). The Doctor was excelent too (really nice guy from the West Indies). Very clear and with the necessary mix to content us and get things moving.

Our main concern at the time of going Public was the ward. There are 7 beds but we all have our privacy and everyone has been very respectful of his own space. There is a strict policy on security also to prevent unsocial behavour. The level of comfort is very good and the midwives are around all the time (as I said, they are brilliant).

My advise based on my experience is: go public and save your money for something else. You will be very well looked after. Set your expectations at the right level (you are going to deliver a baby, not to a 5* resort) and you will be ok.

Have many other stories to tell, but Mia needs some cuddling before sleeping :)
    "

Thanks for your post Ziggzy23.
    I have to say you have scared me a good bit.. My first appointment is on Monday so only hope all will go smooth.
    I am not sure if its right to ask but can you tell me the name of the Doctor you had this terrible experience with?
    Thanks a mill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Elle13 wrote: »
    Thanks for your post Ziggzy23.
    I have to say you have scared me a good bit.. My first appointment is on Monday so only hope all will go smooth.
    I am not sure if its right to ask but can you tell me the name of the Doctor you had this terrible experience with?
    Thanks a mill.

I sent you a pm there with his name but try not to worry it was probably just my bad luck I got him:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 mary byrne

Hi Ladies,

I was hoping for some advice on my situation.

I just found out that I am 6 weeks 2 days pregnant and am totally shocked as due to my history I didn't expect to get pregnant. I had an operation for a twisted fallopian tube a few years back which resulted in me having just one tube so it is a big surprise that i am now pregnant.

However my GP has advised me that I am a high risk pregnancy case and really need to take extra care as this is also my first pregnancy.

I live in Clonee and my GP is in Drumcondra and need to decide now which hospital I want to go to aswell as which option public, semi or private?

My GP has suggested Holles St is the best aswell as another family friend said the same Holles St as it has the best professors in case of any complications.

I have also heard alot of horror stories and about the overcrowding in Holles St.

I would like to hear from some of you as to what is the best hospital and which type of cover? I will also need to get more regular scans.

Also got really bad morning sickness all day and is getting me down rather than feeling good. How do other ladies cope?

Hi Ladies,

I just found out that I am 6 weeks 2 days pregnant and am totally shocked as due to my history I didn't expect to get pregnant. I had an operation for a twisted fallopian tube a few years back which resulted in me having just one tube so it is a big surprise that i am now pregnant.

However my GP has advised me that I am a high risk pregnancy case and really need to take extra care as this is also my first pregnancy.

I live in Clonee and my GP is in Drumcondra and need to decide now which hospital I want to go to aswell as which option public, semi or private?

My GP has suggested Holles St is the best aswell as another family friend said the same Holles St as it has the best professors in case of any complications.

I have also heard alot of horror stories and about the overcrowding in Holles St.

I would like to hear from some of you as to what is the best hospital and which type of cover? I will also need to get more regular scans.

Also got really bad morning sickness all day and is getting me down rather than feeling good. How do other ladies cope?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Hi,

firstly congrats on your pregnancy. My pregnancy is also considered very high risk as I am a type 1 diabetic, had multiple mis and had oesophageal cancer 2 years 7 months ago. The care that I am recieving in Holles Street is wonderful - I go to the diabetic clinic every 2 weeks - I have the option of private or semi but at the moment am thinking of going public as the care is the same and I hope not to have too long a stay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

mary byrne wrote: »
    Hi Ladies,

I'll give you my take on it... when I found out I was pregnant last year and I was researching hospitals to go to... I rang Coombe, Rotunda and Holles St to see who could give me earliest appointment. I also lived in D15 at the time and when I rang the Coombe and Holles St they both told me that they could take me as a patient but that if I needed to travel to hospital by ambulance I would be unable to as they wouldn't send an ambulance that far??? (Don't ask me how cos I wouldn't be ringing the hosp for an ambulance I'd be ringing 112...) so I had no choice but to go to the Rotunda...

The Rotunda are excellent and I had nothing but good experiences with them

Thanks for replies so far and another confirmation that Holles St is good for high risk pregnancy. I'm glad to hear you are getting well in Holles St!

As for the Rotunda vs Holles St and ambulance, that doesn't make sense for hospital to say that as in an emergency one would have to call 112.

Can anyone advise which is better public, private or semi-private in particular for complications?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭beachbabe

I also am high risk. Went private because then you are guarenteed to see consultant every time, rather then whichever member of the team you see in out patients that day, to me seeing the same doc every time was important. However just been discharged from the coombe and spent the last 3 nights in a public bed, no private ones available, but I realise I was fortunate to have a bed.
    Saying that, I have no complaints about the care I recived, everyone was very nice.
    The coombe are also excellent for high risk pregnancies, have a great neeonatal intensive care unit and are near crumlin hosp just in case..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

mary byrne wrote: »
    Can anyone advise which is better public, private or semi-private in particular for complications?

If you have the money, and you think complications are more likely than average, I'd say go private.

Thanks again for your replies.

I think I am more inclined now to go for private as am high risk and also it's my first so will get scans sooner and for peace of mind.

Can anyone then advise which hospital Rotunda or Holles St is better as private?

Any more replies would be helpful and help me to make a decision and at least stop worrying about this.

Semi Private is the best of both worlds.
    Same consultant every visit and it really does not cost a lot after vhi and tax relief.(think it is 500 euro now before.
    The private accomodation in Holles st is lovely and the staff are amazing.
    I can not fault Holles st in the care I received at all and will definately go back for the next!

Thanks a mill Moonbeam:),

I think you have reassured me that Holles St is a good hospital despite all the stories you hear. My GP and family friend who is also a doctor recommended Holles St and my sister has had her 2 kids there aswell as my friend her 2 kids there so I think I will go with Holles St.

Also because I need to get early scans and can't afford to wait, I need to go either private or semi-private

Can you or anyone advise the differences between private and semi-private besides getting your own room and sharing a ward?

Also what does each cost in total if you have Hibernian Level 2 health cover?

I think I am almost there with my decision just need to know the differences&cost between private and semi-private?

I have gone with Holles St. recently.. had my first bloods taken and seen endocrinologist as I had my thyroid gland removed couple of years ago. I have to say so far everyone in Holles St. been very friendly helpful and really made me feel welcome.
    I went Semi-private but I am still due my first appointment with the consultant. I am going on Tuesday so will let you know then how did it go..
    I have to say I am still in two minds about which way to go.. I mean Semi private, private or maybe only a midwife clinic?
    There is mad price difference between Private and Semi-private. The Semi-private will cost you €500 for consultants visits and €120 for every scan you get done. I have one of the best plans with VHI and I know they will only contribute €350 towards the €500 and nothing towards scans as the VHI is taking all this as a prenatal care and €350 is all they contribute. If you go private you will pay €4000 - €5500 for consultant’s visits.. the only difference here is that you will see the same consultant every time you go to the hospital.. BTW if he is on holidays or he was on nite shift you will still see someone else no matter how much money you paid. I know good few girls who went private in Holles St. but only about 2 had a private room in the end as there was none free when they arrived to deliver the baby so they ended up in semi-private ward anyway (There is 5 - 7 beds in semi-private ward).
    I really do think it mite worth the couple of hundreds to go Semi-private but don’t think I could sacrifice couple of grand going private. Sure you can use the money for the baby when it arrives :-)
    Another friend of mine mentioned to me recently that she went semi-private at first and then someone told her about midwife's clinic. It is in Holles St. hospital as well and apparently the midwifes give you lots more time then consultants and there is not so much waiting and queing involved. You also see the same midwife everytime you visit them and also the same one can be when you come to deliver the baby.. This is not paid as its part of the public. They still do your scans for you and they are also free.. If there is someting going wrong they will still get you to see one of the consultants obviously... I guess this way seams to be great presuming you have no risk pregnancy. I will be asking about this option on Tuesday when I will see the consultants for the first time.
    The best of luck with your pregnancy. x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I've seen the same consultant each visit and haven't had to wait any longer than 10 mins for my appointments and I'm attending one of Holles St's satellite clinics. Some women pay thousands for a service like that!

I still maintain that I would have gone with the community midwives if I lived in the catchment area, but I can't complain!

• Advertisement

This is a question for Elle13:

When you say that Semi-Private it costs 500 euros for consultants visits, do you mean in total? Or per visit? Also how many visits do you have and how many scans?

I am stil in two minds myself aswell about Semi-Private or Private. The Midwife clinic sounds good but not sure if I am already high-risk if I would need to go with either of the other options.

A few people have now recommended me the Rotunda so I am somewhat confused.

Also can anyone recommend the best consultant for high risk pregnancies either semi-private or private in either the Rotunda or Holles St?

Oh God, didn't think it would be this tough making a decision. I guess I am more apprehensive considering I am high risk.

Hope to hear from some of you soon

Advertisement