Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fiscal Compact Referendum 2012

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Zamboni wrote: »
    Could we not just have a referendum to change the constitution to write in prudent macroeconomic policy by ourselves without entering the Compact?
    Yep. It wouldn't be the Fiscal Compact though, so the EU would be within its rights to ignore the vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

seamus wrote: »
    Just to give an idea of what would be required to achieve this, we would need to indiscriminately cut social welfare payments and public sector wages by 25%, each. That's a saving of €10bn. The other €8bn would be achieved by raising taxes 13.5% across the board (not to 13.5%, but by 13.5%)
    That's all? :eek:
    Okay I know it's huge in real terms, but it really illustrates how insanely bloated social welfare payments and wages are.

So I've done my reading, I'm voting yes, despite coming across Declan Ganley being mischievous (knowing feck all about the ESM initially made that a very hard to interpret article, which I'm assuming was the intention), does he really believe his own logic or did he just enjoy the Lisbon campaign that much?

And looking at the treaty itself, what's the fuss about? Why would anyone have a real problem with it? Okay someone might think voting no results in a marginally better outcome than yes, but to really take issue? Am I missing something?

And is anyone a fan of the idea of outlawing slogans, sound bites, Paul Murphy's face, and irrelevant argumentation? There's something incredibly morally wrong with tying in the treaty and the household charge etc, I refuse to believe it's not populist and that they don't know better, I don't get why that level of irresponsibility is accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

So I've done my reading, I'm voting yes

Why are you voting yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That's all? :eek:
    Okay I know it's huge in real terms, but it really illustrates how insanely bloated social welfare payments and wages are.
    I guess it depends on what you mean by "bloated". They're certainly generous, but 25% off in both cases could quite literally put people out on the street.

What it is, is an illustration of just how much the Irish Governments from 1997 to 2011 lacked any kind of foresight in fiscal policy, continually spending without worrying about where the rainy day money would come from.

Why would anyone have a real problem with it?
    If people accurately understood what it's trying to do, then people would be quite happy to vote for it.

Unfortunately, a sizable portion of the population here is linking the vote to any number of irrelevant issues, amongst which are: (a) dislike of FG or Labour; (b) dislike of the government, whoever they are, or its policies; (c) the household or water charges; (d) thinking that it's linked to "austerity" in some way; (e) dislike of the EU; (f) banking debt and the repayment thereof; (g) a belief that the nation is being "scaremongered" into signing it; (h) the belief that by not signing, there's a "better" deal in the offing; (i) lots more.

At least this time around, Mr Ganley is being generally honest in his campaign (so far as I'm aware of it) and if push comes to shove, then the EU may well persuade itself to cut a few billion off the banking bill in return for a yes-vote. But then again, at a more basic level, one country negotiating a deal, then demanding payment for signing it is a pretty shoddy way to treat one's fellow-signatories, none of whom are being paid to sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

robindch wrote: »
    If people accurately understood what it's trying to do, then people would be quite happy to vote for it.

Unfortunately, a sizable portion of the population here is linking the vote to any number of irrelevant issues, amongst which are: (a) dislike of FG or Labour; (b) dislike of the government, whoever they are, or its policies; (c) the household or water charges; (d) thinking that it's linked to "austerity" in some way; (e) dislike of the EU; (f) banking debt and the repayment thereof; (g) a belief that the nation is being "scaremongered" into signing it; (h) the belief that by not signing, there's a "better" deal in the offing; (i) lots more.

To be fair, you could come up with a similar list of irrelevant issues from the Yes side. Dislike of Sinn Fein, Boyd Barret, Murphy, thinking it is linked to growth or jobs in some way etc.
    A walk through the Elections and Referendums forum shows garbage from all sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

To be fair, you could come up with a similar list of irrelevant issues from the Yes side. Dislike of Sinn Fein, Boyd Barret, Murphy, thinking it is linked to growth or jobs in some way etc.
    A walk through the Elections and Referendums forum shows garbage from all sides.

As someone who was on the no side for lisbon, damn right. Both sides are as culpable and there are as many idiots on both sides voting for such stupid reasons. But, this treaty when you take in all the actual arguments on it seems a good one with the best reason for a no vote I can see being sabre rattling in the hope of a better deal. Though I fear this treaty should be seen as bigger than a pawn we can afford to lose in a game of bluff.

Issues such as cutting public spending are there to be fought on election day (and labour's support shows a strong desire not to imo), a fight I support and it's unfair to hope what people voted against would happen as a result of a no vote here. No one is campaigning for a no vote to cut public spending and I doubt sadly it would find much support if they did.

There certainly are, but in my own personal, first-hand experience, people are voting yes generally because they've understood what's going on; whereas people who are voting against it are generally doing so for reasons unrelated to the treaty.
    It would be interesting to do some proper, accurate widescale analysis, but as with the Lisbon Treaty debate or the US Republican Party and their swiftboat tactics, I've never really got the impression that the two sides are producing equal amounts of equally false crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Why are you voting yes?
    Having read the treaty, and a number of interpretations by people who understand these things a lot better than I, I think that it is a minor and positive measure which will work to safeguard the economies and denizens of the EU from idiotic politics, and on a lower level, allow this country get back on track in a more digestible manner than the alternative. The economies of the EU are too greatly linked for there not to be a greater level of central control. I also fail to see the merit in the over the top argumentation on either side of the debate, in particular what's voiced by certain members of the no campaign, who seem insistent on claiming that an EU measure can be linked back to the performance and actions of our current government, and also that our opinions on it should be.
    seamus wrote: »
    I guess it depends on what you mean by "bloated". They're certainly generous, but 25% off in both cases could quite literally put people out on the street.

I mean bloated as in as a percentage of expenditure, bloated on an economic level, when I said such a cut would be huge in real terms I meant for the individual, it's obviously not remotely feesable and would deal an insane and life changing blow to the vast majority of people, I know it's huge, I just thought it would be bigger. It is a hypothetical scenario remember, I'm not advocating it by any means. Agreed on the rest of your post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

robindch wrote: »
    if push comes to shove, then the EU may well persuade itself to cut a few billion off the banking bill in return for a yes-vote.
    The trouble with this line of thinking is that it will be impossible to persuade taxpayers in other parts of the EU to agree to it, if we have already voted no to a treaty which prevents us from frittering away the resultant savings. Hence a Catch 22 stalemate, which in theory we might be able to break with an early yes vote.
    Its a leap of faith :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

recedite wrote: »
    The trouble with this line of thinking is that it will be impossible to persuade taxpayers in other parts of the EU to agree to it, if we have already voted no to a treaty which prevents us from frittering away the resultant savings. Hence a Catch 22 stalemate, which in theory we might be able to break with an early yes vote.
    Its a leap of faith :)

I can't see any sweeteners being offered in light of what is happening in Greece and the fact that whether we vote yes or no is irrelevant to the bigger picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭smokingman

Was listening to the last word debate yesterday evening on the way home and was impressed by someone called Nicola Byrne who was the only level head in the whole thing.

I do feel dirty though - I was actually cheering on Michael Martin when he took Nigel Farage to task for his pretend concern for the Irish people.

Sinn Feins whole argument was to vote no and depend on other European countries to bail us out before the economy collapses - it was truly staggering that they call themselves nationalists when their entire policy is to put our future in other peoples hands instead of trying to do something about it ourselves.

smokingman wrote: »
    Sinn Feins whole argument was to vote no and depend on other European countries to bail us [...]
    Well, it does make a nice change from the way they used to try to sort out political problems.

Anyhow, the Yes-side is still well ahead:

http://www.thejournal.ie/yes-side-remains-clear-but-lead-narrows-in-latest-referendum-poll-455626-May2012/

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭aarond280

unfortunately i cant vote as im only 17, but if i was id vote NO, the way i see it if the GOVERNMENT and BANKS want us to vote yes i wonder who it will benefit the banks. This government is a joke Enda Kenny and Gilmore are like lap dogs in Europe, Bruton said recently if we vote no we will have to vote again this is an utter disgrace, keep doing it until they vote yes. This referendum will mean a balanced busget at the end of each year and how will they make that cuts to the higher class I think not, further cuts to those in middle and lower class. This means more taxes, more cuts and even more hardship for those at the lower end of the social spectrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,878 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

aarond280 wrote: »
    unfortunately i cant vote as im only 17, but if i was id vote NO, the way i see it if the GOVERNMENT and BANKS want us to vote yes i wonder who it will benefit the banks.

The banks don't give a fcuk which way we vote as they've already got our money. If you've got a time machine to go back to four years ago then please let us know.
    This government is a joke Enda Kenny and Gilmore are like lap dogs in Europe,

That's just a meaningless comment. How are they acting like that and what should they be doing?
    Bruton said recently if we vote no we will have to vote again this is an utter disgrace, keep doing it until they vote yes.

Yes he did say that, he then immediately retracted it, you are surely aware of that if you're aware of what he said in the first place.
    This referendum will mean a balanced busget at the end of each year

No it doesn't, it means we are supposed to run a budget close to balance, over the entire economic cycle (i.e. you can run deficits in the bad years provided you run surpluses in the good years.) This is just good common sense.
    Anyway those limits won't even apply to us for several years after we exit the bailout.
    and how will they make that cuts to the higher class I think not, further cuts to those in middle and lower class. This means more taxes, more cuts and even more hardship for those at the lower end of the social spectrum.

All of which are going to have to happen anyway, to paraphrase a former Taoiseach 'we are living away beyond our means'

Thing is, if we vote No then our future in the euro will come into question (although, logically it shouldn't, markets are very nervous for any negative signs in any euro country) and as well as that we will be denying ourselves the possibility of cheap ESM loans in 2014 if the markets are too nervous to lend to us, or won't lend to us except at a crazy interest rate.

This is where the argument that voting No means more austerity comes from. And if we can't borrow at all in 2014 the country will be forced to default.

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

ninja900 wrote: »
    Yes he did say that, he then immediately retracted it, you are surely aware of that if you're aware of what he said in the first place.
    Maybe he has secretly retracted his retraction. We won't find out unless the "No" vote wins; that's when we usually get the news about the repeat referendum.

Maybe he has secretly retracted his retraction. We won't find out unless the "No" vote wins; that's when we usually get the news about the repeat referendum.

It can go ahead without us. Running it again would be an attempt to get lower interest rates.

I love the "Ugh, they'll just make us vote again" line of reasoning, shows how strong people's opinions and principles are when choosing how to vote.

[QUOTE=ninja900;78822301
    All of which are going to have to happen anyway, to paraphrase a former Taoiseach 'we are living away beyond our means'

Thing is, if we vote No then our future in the euro will come into question (although, logically it shouldn't, markets are very nervous for any negative signs in any euro country) and as well as that we will be denying ourselves the possibility of cheap ESM loans in 2014 if the markets are too nervous to lend to us, or won't lend to us except at a crazy interest rate.

This is where the argument that voting No means more austerity comes from. And if we can't borrow at all in 2014 the country will be forced to default.[/QUOTE]
    Yes this is one that I think is worth an answer to, of course we need to cut but it always seems to be those who are the lower side of the social spectrum. They are asking people to take money out of empty pockets. The standard of living in Ireland is too high how can they expect growth when people cant afford to shop.

Yes this is one that I think is worth an answer to, of course we need to cut but it always seems to be those who are the lower side of the social spectrum. They are asking people to take money out of empty pockets. The standard of living in Ireland is too high how can they expect growth when people cant afford to shop.

This referendum won't change the composition of the measures to close the deficit. A "**** you" to the politicians will like just increase what has to be done.

• Advertisement

This country has really had it havent they ......

This country has really had it havent they ......

Had what? Our cake and eaten it? :pac:

The standard of living in Ireland is too high how can they expect growth when people cant afford to shop.

The construction industry has had to accept that they'll never see times like the peak of the boom again.
    The motor industry has had to, and all other retail is having to adjust now too.
    You can't expect boom-time spending based largely on credit to just keep on going in a recession. That's what a recession is, a contraction in activity throughout the economy, it's not that bad though we're about where we were 8 years ago and I don't recall reading about anyone starving, then.
    Of course that's little consolation to those saddled with crazy mortgages they can't pay, but many of these mortgages were only just about affordable on boomtime wages.

Thing is, apart from construction, what we did in the boom was spend spend spend on luxury imported goods - huge TV sets, SUVs etc - just money flowing out of the country. This is why stimulus packages are doomed to fail in a small open economy like ours, most of the money just flows out of the country.
    If we decide to do stimulus, it should be contruction of important infrastructure projects, that way most of the money will remain here and will provide substantial employment for the next few years until the economy generally picks up.

Life ain't always empty.

Yes this is one that I think is worth an answer to, of course we need to cut but it always seems to be those who are the lower side of the social spectrum.

This is often said, but I've never seen anyone provide figures to back it up.
    Welfare increased massively above inflation in the boom, there have been some minor cuts since but that's all. Our welfare rates are still way above those of countries like the UK and even Germany. Minimum wage cut was reversed, changes to universal social charge benefited the lower paid, income taxes haven't been raised.

Life ain't always empty.

Maybe he has secretly retracted his retraction.

Or mental reservation, or had his fingers crossed behind his back :p

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Content of Bill
    The Bill provides for the insertion of the following subsection after
    subsection 9 of Article 29.4 of the Constitution, in order to ratify the
    Stability Treaty and enable the Oireachtas to adopt any legislation
    necessary in order to implement its provisions:
    ‘‘10° The State may ratify the Treaty on Stability, Coordination
    and Governance in the Economic and Monetary Union
    done at Brussels on the 2nd day of March 2012. No provision of
    this Constitution invalidates laws enacted, acts done or measures
    adopted by the State that are necessitated by the obligations of
    the State under that Treaty or prevents laws enacted, acts done
    or measures adopted by bodies competent under that Treaty
    from having the force of law in the State.’’.

Can someone explain this bit to me? From my reading it's a bad thing and would lead me to vote no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Can someone explain this bit to me? From my reading it's a bad thing and would lead me to vote no.

I'm pretty sure it's just standard wording to say that

a) the State will ratify the treaty and
    b) all elements of the treaty are deemed to be constitutional

It's not a big deal unless someone believes the treaty itself to contradict some other part of our constitution but I imagine someone would have mentioned it by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Is it wrong to be uncomfortable with someone saying that anything they do to fulfill the Treaty can't be unconstitutional?
    In a stupidly extreme case, slavery to reduce people on the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Is it wrong to be uncomfortable with someone saying that anything they do to fulfill the Treaty can't be unconstitutional?
    In a stupidly extreme case, slavery to reduce people on the dole.
    It's the exact same wording that's been used for every treaty to be fair.

As Newaglish says it basically means that if ratified, the treaty as it stands is considered to be constitutional. The laws, measures etc, are such laws and measures as required to conform with the treaty.

It can't specifically legalise slavery unless the treaty text contained such a provision which required slavery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Yes wins!
    I for one would like to welcome our European Overlords and the presence of multiple multiple mutilating baby clinics. :D

Republic of Ireland
    1937 - 2012
    R.I.P.
    :D

Our new Flag.
    european-flag1.gif

Is this sore winning/losing?
    /poe mode disabled.

Advertisement