Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Society interested in a ryder cup format?

• 01-05-2012 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

I play in a golf society based in dublin and every year our top players play another society in foursomes for a bit of fun! We usually play a decent course that we could get at good value (last year its was carton house).. This year we dont have opponents and i was wondering if there was any golf societys out there that would be interested in playing? No course in mind as of yet but we were looking at doing it the first week in september but are open for suggestions! Anybody who might be interested get back to me and i can mail you my number to talk about details! cheers :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭technodub

Nobody up for the challenge? :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

i'd be up for it, anyone else?

Maybe the top 4 golfers from our society events up to the end of july?

How many members in the boards society? Sorry i got my dates wrong our last outing of the year is the start of October so if at all possible we would look to do it in the middle of October but nothing is set in stone! Also looking for a 12 man team so even if you had 12 players who were interested in playing a decent course and were up for a challenge! Personally I like the format as its something a little bit different!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I don't see what the appeal is of playing foresomes especially when traveling to a decent course and paying green fees to play half a round. Maybe if you were to play singles matchplay or fourball betterball formats you'd get more interest?

Personally I can't stand foursomes and generally avoid putting my name down for interclub competitions that play them. There's a big time commitment involved for playing alternate shots around a course. Now granted that's just my view and realise some people think they're great craic involving different strategies etc which I appreciate I just don't think they outweigh the pleasure of playing the full course and recording a good score you can call your own. Selfish perhaps but there's better team formats than foresomes out there.

Sorry my bad folks. It is fourball better ball we play i always get them confused ( you would think I would get it right after ten years) Id fully agree with you Dr_Colossus I like playing a full round too! I just like the team match play format! Basically the guy who organizes our society does not use boards so i suggested i would try put the feelers out... obviously not a great start when i get the format wrong! :( If i find anybody whos interested i will be passing them on to somebody who knows what there talking about! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

charlieIRL wrote: »
    i'd be up for it, anyone else?

Maybe the top 4 golfers from our society events up to the end of july?

Id be up for it too Charlie , count me in

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭scubapro

Sure I would give it a go as well.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Let's give them a hiding match!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Oh its on now , There's your 4 !

Sombreros at the ready men .

We need a team of 12?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

technodub wrote: »
    We need a team of 12?

Don't you worry we have a few tucked away for the summer!

Should be no problem ,

There is 60 on our Society List

Oh its on now , There's your 4 !

Sombreros at the ready men .

Sombreros! I think standard dress code should include Charlies trousers

scubapro wrote: »

Could you imagine the looks we would get !!! all decked out in them strides :pac:

We need a team of 12?
    sorry, my bad - took you up wrong!!

hahahaha, would be some crack!!!

technodub, get us the dates and venue and we will organise a team of 12.

Now we are getting somewere ... Would someone like to step forward and become team leader? :D realistically nothing needs to be set in stone now but if you guys are up for the challenge we could set the wheels in motion and discuss the finer details! ?? .............. ( its not too late to turn back ) :rolleyes::D

Just seen ur post keano! Could still do with a team leader and maybe an exchange of numbers to discuss details!

Looks like we have hit a brick wall lads? Nobody want to captain the ship??

Looks like we have hit a brick wall lads? Nobody want to captain the ship??

I think the captain of our society should be in charge, ya up for it Keano?

• Advertisement

Keano is the man!:D

I shall lead us into battle :)

Drop me a PM technodub.

Ok while me and technodub discuss appearance fee's and sponsorship money we need a boards team. Obviously, without knowing the date it's not easy but if you have an interest please put your name down :)

Stick me down for it boss!

Ok while me and technodub discuss appearance fee's and sponsorship money we need a boards team. Obviously, without knowing the date it's not easy but if you have an interest please put your name down :)

Im in for it too , so will Sheehansshiners

Hmmm, let me think........yes

Hmmm, let me think........yes
    I knew you wouldn't let me down!

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Matt Santos

Would love to play in this as well but I am in College Fri and Sat's so these days are out for me! Cant play in the Society dates that fall on a Fri or Sat as well :(
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

I'd be up for it if you're stuck for numbers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭dines08

Ye looking for Boards Society members only Keano? If not then I'd be up for it if ye are stuck for 12

Advertisement