Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommended Movies on TV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84,967 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Adam and Paul is on RTE 2 at 10.25pm tonight

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Beasts of the Southern Wild on TG4 at 21:30 tomorrow (Monday). An interesting, often very effective debut feature from Benh Zeitlin. Uneven overall, but some excellent moments, and a great soundtrack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

French Connection - Film4 tonight
    Peeping Tom - Horror Channel 10.50/11.50pm

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Midnight Sunday night, RTE1: The Black Dahlia, an adaptation of the James Ellroy book. I haven't seen the film yet, but I read the book recently, and if the film is even half as good ...

Dir. Brian de Palma, with Josh Hartnett, Scarlett Johansson, Aaron Eckhart, Hilary Swank.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Filmfour are showing a number of films by Akira Kurosawa, starting tonight with Ikiru at 01:10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

bnt wrote: »
    Midnight Sunday night, RTE1: The Black Dahlia, an adaptation of the James Ellroy book. I haven't seen the film yet, but I read the book recently, and if the film is even half as good ...

Dir. Brian de Palma, with Josh Hartnett, Scarlett Johansson, Aaron Eckhart, Hilary Swank.

It's less than half as good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Arrietty is on FilmFour tomorrow morning at 11am. It's a Studio Ghilbi production from 2010. I haven't seen it before. It's adaptation of The Borrowers by Mary Norton. Remember the 1997 version with John Goodman? I'm looking forward to this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

ThirdMan wrote: »
    Arrietty is on FilmFour tomorrow morning at 11am. It's a Studio Ghilbi production from 2010. I haven't seen it before. It's adaptation of The Borrowers by Mary Norton. Remember the 1997 version with John Goodman? I'm looking forward to this!

I set it to record and there was an option for series link. So perhaps it's a Studio Ghilbi season. You know I could have any of those movies downloaded within 20 minutes, but it's just not the same. It's great fun searching through the channels looking for little gems like these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

In Bruges is on at 10:50 tonight on Film4.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Rebecca (1940) - BBC2, 2:35pm today

Rebecca_1940_film_poster.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Layer Cake starting on RTE2 now.

Heat is on Channel 4 tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

zerks wrote: »
    Layer Cake starting on RTE2 now.

On Film4 again tonight at 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

mike65 wrote: »
    French Connection - Film4 tonight
    Peeping Tom - Horror Channel 10.50/11.50pm

Is this good?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Warper wrote: »
    Is this good?

Let Scorsese explain why it's great. or if you can't bother to watch the video then Yes it's excellent dark disturbing film.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,021 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Plane trains and automobile on Film4 (+1) now
    Or Avatar on channel 4

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

If you've got Sky Arts 1 there's a thing called "Casting By" on a 2 this afternoon.

Really interesting documentary about the role played by casting directors in Hollywood. Lots of insight from directors and actors too. Lots of iconic roles discussed and who had originally been in line to play some of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Ghostbusters starting on TV3 now!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭brian_t

Dirty Mary Crazy Larry is on More Than Movies at 9:00pm this evening (Monday)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

For the day that's in it, 20th anniversary of Ayrton Senna's death, the amazing Senna is on ITV4 at 10.30pm tonight.

You don't need to be an F1 fan to appreciate its brilliance.

It really is a must-see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Col200sx wrote: »
    For the day that's in it, 20th anniversary of Ayrton Senna's death, the amazing Senna is on ITV4 at 10.30pm tonight.

You don't need to be an F1 fan to appreciate its brilliance.

It really is a must-see.

To be honest I'm a massive F1 fan and though it was fairly poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Thought it was great. Which version did you see? There's an extended cut out there that's supposedly a lot weaker. The beauty of the theatrical release is the lack of talking heads. A refreshing change from the countless docs going that route these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

vidor wrote: »
    Thought it was great. Which version did you see? There's an extended cut out there that's supposedly a lot weaker. The beauty of the theatrical release is the lack of talking heads. A refreshing change from the countless docs going that route these days.

I'm pretty sure it was the extended cut. For me it just didn't seem to hold my attention and seemed to be more about dissing Prost than about Senna himself. It seems to do well on IMDB though.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

Blackfish BBC4 9pm - Very good film/documentary

"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy"

The Shining is on RTE 1 at 12.20am

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Adam & Paul is on Film 4 tonight. Garage is on tomorrow too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

League Of Gentlemen 1960 one the best robbery/heist films Film 4 12.55
    A former Army colonel, angry at his enforced retirement, sets out to exact an elaborate revenge on society in general. Recruiting seven other former servicemen who have turned to a life of crime, he plans a major bank robbery with military precision. Starring Jack Hawkins, Nigel Patrick, Richard Attenborough, Roger Livesey and Bryan Forbes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Beverly Hills Cop tonight at 11pm on Channel 4.

Beverly Hills Cop 2 is also on RTE 2 at 12:50am but the original is superior

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Beverly Hills Cop tonight at 11pm on Channel 4.

Beverly Hills Cop 2 is also on RTE 2 at 12:50am but the original is superior

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

Man on a Ledge (2012) is on Channel 4 at 9pm

Advertisement