Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Telecom Eireann ad late 1980s/early 1990s

• 22-02-2012 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

Anybody remember a great Telecom Eireann (Eircom to all you younger folk ;)) ad
    from around this era? It featured a Sandie Shaw song "Always something there to remind me" and was set in the West of Ireland for sure in a Gaeltacht with a woman (think she may be in Ros Na Run now) dropping the kids to school in an Opel Kaddet then going into the local shop. And the girl in the shop asks something like "Cen chaoi a Mhaire?" to which the woman replies "Ta si i San Francisco anois"...or something along those lines. Obviously set in a previous time of high emigration.

Had a look on youtube and can't find it :( Anybody remember it? I would put it up there with the old ESB ads for nostaligia.

Comments

I don't remember this one but do have a very vague memory of another Telecom Éireann ad from around the same time with "I Only Want to Be with You" by Dusty Springfield as its soundtrack.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

mfitzy wrote: »
    Hey all,

from around this era? It featured a Sandie Shaw song "Always something there to remind me" and was set in the West of Ireland for sure in a Gaeltacht with a woman (think she may be in Ros Na Run now) dropping the kids to school in an Opel Kaddet then going into the local shop. And the girl in the shop asks something like "Cen chaoi a Mhaire?" to which the woman replies "Ta si i San Francisco anois"...or something along those lines. Obviously set in a previous time of high emigration.

Had a look on youtube and can't find it :( Anybody remember it? I would put it up there with the old ESB ads for nostaligia.

haha love it. I remember that one.
    It was 'In San Francisco at
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]á[/FONT] s[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]í[/FONT], but sure we keep in touch'

Then at the end
    Moira? Is that you love? Mo anseo. Ceach chaoi bhfuil t[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ú[/FONT]?
    Wasn't there a reduction in the advertising costs on RTE if the add was done as Gaelige?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

haha love it. I remember that one.
    It was 'In San Francisco at
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]á[/FONT] s[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]í[/FONT], but sure we keep in touch'

Then at the end
    Moira? Is that you love? Mo anseo. Ceach chaoi bhfuil t[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ú[/FONT]?
    Wasn't there a reduction in the advertising costs on RTE if the add was done as Gaelige?

Ah you're sharper than me so ;). I dunno about the cost thing. Would LOVE to see this ad again if anybody at all has it or knows of it online :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

Just remembered the other advert that they had featuring the Jim Reeves song "Put Your Sweet Lips A Little Closer To The Phone".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

There was another ad they did around the same time that featured the song "dream lover" and was a young guy picking up his date for the debs.The guy was played by this actor whose name I can't recall but whos face is familiar from numerous cameos in Irish films.Kind of goofy looking always has slicked side parted hair.In the General he was the Guard at the reception when Martin Cahill went into the station to establish an alibi

• Advertisement

darkdubh wrote: »
    There was another ad they did around the same time that featured the song "dream lover" and was a young guy picking up his date for the debs.The guy was played by this actor whose name I can't recall but whos face is familiar from numerous cameos in Irish films.Kind of goofy looking always has slicked side parted hair.In the General he was the Guard at the reception when Martin Cahill went into the station to establish an alibi
    That was the ESB:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Loveless wrote: »
    Just remembered the other advert that they had featuring the Jim Reeves song "Put Your Sweet Lips A Little Closer To The Phone".

Was that the add with the collage of songs? I think 'The Homes of Donegal' was on it too (lyrics - 'I just dropped in to see you all I'll only stay awhile')

Karsini wrote: »
    That was the ESB:

That's the ad all right but after seeing it again I'm not so sure yer man in it is the same guy I was thinking off

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭BIG BAD JOHN

I thought the ESB one with the young fellow coming home was the best. It featured Dusty Springfield singing "GOIN' BACK".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I remember that Telecom Eireann add. There was another one around the mid 80s where they used different songs and the phones were made of plasticine shapes that turned into a map of Ireland, a tea pot, a phone etc. The songs which are all well known standards to me now were unfamiliar when I was a child.

There was Jim Reeves singing "Put your sweet lips a little closer to the phone", Dusty Springfield singing "I only want to be with you" and someone singing "Oh Mary this London's a wonderful sight"

Anyone remember this ad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 little_ems2001

Hi, I was wondering if anyone remembers or has a link to a telecom eireann advert (around 1987/88) it was directed by jimmy murakami, it had two songs: 1) 'land down under', 'reach out and touch'. it had a telephone that turned into a chair and a kangaroo.
    There was a woman (the mother had dark hair) and a girl with long blonde hair on two pigtails.
    The reason I'm trying to find it (sounds a bit weird but...) the little girl was me and I was looking to see if I cud either find a clip of the ad itself or a picture.
    Would really appreciate any help.
    thank you.

Hi, I was wondering if anyone remembers or has a link to a telecom eireann advert (around 1987/88) it was directed by jimmy murakami, it had two songs: 1) 'land down under', 'reach out and touch'. it had a telephone that turned into a chair and a kangaroo.
    There was a woman (the mother had dark hair) and a girl with long blonde hair on two pigtails.
    The reason I'm trying to find it (sounds a bit weird but...) the little girl was me and I was looking to see if I cud either find a clip of the ad itself or a picture.
    thank you.
    I have vague memories of the song reach out and touch being used in an Eircom ad but the Kangaroo ,Down Under thing draws a blank.Are you sure it wasen't two different ads?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 little_ems2001

no it was the same one, it opened with land down uder and then went into reach out and touch, the premise was i was supposed to be talking to y 'father' who was in austrailia.

darkdubh wrote: »
    Karsini wrote: »
    That was the ESB:

Was just thinking about this again and I was mixing up the guy in this ad with both Pat Kinevane and Mikel Murfi neither of whom are yer man in it. I used to get the two of them confused a lot for some reason.

road_high wrote: »
    Hey all,

Here's the ad in question at the 2.45 mark.Think it ran for a good few years.

thank you.

The ad featuring op as a child is here at the 1.10 mark. Poster hasn't been active since 2012 so hopefully they've found it in the meantime or will come across this.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

When did companies stop doing the static card + voiceover ads?

I'm presuming the commercial radio stations had something to do with it - simpler outlet for those who couldn't afford or didn't want video ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Found it. 1991 according to YouTube!
    https://youtu.be/iTZBZWEYeq4

Advertisement