Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, Overclockers ****ed up my OC

• 07-02-2013 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭

Computer arrived today from Overclockers. Went to power it on, got about 10 seconds of power then it shut down. Rang them and they asked us to check it without the GPU (did, same failure) and then remove the CR from the motherboard. We replaced the CR and got about 15 minutes power until it shut down again.

I left it sit, as was worried it might be a heat issue, fired it up and managed to get Core Temp dl'd and running before it shut off again.

Temps were show at 90 with a Tj.Max of 91.

So it's looking like a heat problem.

Tried to reset the defaults in the BIOS, and was getting the temp down to about 70 at times (which is still ****ing nuts for an idle, new build). When I would fire up even a small program like the browser or Steam id see a temp jump close 20 degress back up to 90 again.

Even sitting in the BIOS trying to check settings sees the comp just switch off.

I have no idea what else try before calling them tomorrow and really cant see any other course of action than losing my ****ing **** with them.

Anyone have any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

CPU cooler came lose in transit. I'd put money on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

ED E wrote: »
    CPU cooler came lose in transit. I'd put money on it.

Damn, the mount doom is a ****ing animal of a thing, this is gonna get awkward. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Holy ****.

Figured the easiest way to check if it was the cooler was to lay the PC on its side, fired it up real quick, ran the damn Core Temp and getting 30's.

Time to open this bitch up.

ED E, thank you, you saved a ****ing horrible day for me dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

No worries.

This is a big thing with buying prebuilt. Massive CPU coolers and large GPUs arent so good with Mr UPS Worker throwing the box around.

I'd remove it completely and check for any signs of stress or damage on the mobo just in case. You're probably fine but its best to find out now if you're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

just a thought , but why are you doing any of this , feck it back to them and let them sort it out , its not acceptable that you need to do any of this on a new pc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

just a thought , but why are you doing any of this , feck it back to them and let them sort it out , its not acceptable that you need to do any of this on a new pc

In principal I suppose but as it is such a simple job he is probably as well off to sort it out himself TBH, no point being without the PC for a week or two just so they can do exactly what he would get done in a half an hour anyway, and then there risk of it happening in transit all over again when they send it back(Have you seen the size of the cooler).

I would take photos and evidence (keep any emails /call records times etc) all the same just in case any real damage has been done, and give it a very thorough stability test.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Patrick 1

Definetely keep track of it, similar thing happened to myself transporting the PC, heatsink got loose, but not loose enough to cause shutdowns, just hot enough to stop the processor being able to do anything intensive, drove me up the wall only to discover that the heatsink had got loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

marco_polo wrote: »
    In principal I suppose but as it is such a simple job he is probably as well off to sort it out himself TBH, no point being without the PC for a week or two just so they can do exactly what he would get done in a half an hour anyway, and then there risk of it happening in transit all over again when they send it back(Have you seen the size of the cooler).

I would take photos and evidence (keep any emails /call records times etc) all the same just in case any real damage has been done, and give it a very thorough stability test.

ya i suppose and ya i know the cooler they are big alright i have a similar size (but not as big cooler ) in my pc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Macker1

A lot of online PC Builders states that the don't attach large coolers in case of potential damage in transit for this very reason. Hope it works out.

IMO If they shipped it it that manner then they have to stand over it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

I had this happen with my first PC, I ordered prebuilt:rolleyes:
    the gpu came loose in transit and must have collided with the ram, I had 6 months of random bluescreens until I finally figured out the the ram was bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Wossack

think it might be worthwhile letting Overclockers know about this anyway - even if you're going to sort it yourself. Just if there are further issues down the line, there'll be some record of it not originally working.

Possibly shoot you some free bumf too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Macker1 wrote: »
    A lot of online PC Builders states that the don't attach large coolers in case of potential damage in transit for this very reason. Hope it works out.

IMO If they shipped it it that manner then they have to stand over it.

Yeah agreed shipping with coolers that size is crazy. It's just lucky that no damage was done to the motherboard.

Advertisement