Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy SII I9100 SGS2 Modding Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

massy086 wrote: »
    cheers for that im already on it and its giving me problems like the phone freezing and locking up

You should try wiping every single thing in recovery, factory reset, caches and all that and try reflashing. It really is stable 99% of the time once you give it time.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ChriisM

Heres a video i made for installing ICS (android 4.0) onto the SII , just download them , theres a new leak avalable called LP6 search it and DL it then get CF root kernal and your done then follow the vid
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0C0wO7PDVw&context=C3bdcec5ADOEgsToPDskLzgEm6W-wCbFayAI3ti9N6

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

Anyone try the new ICS Samsung leak (XXLPB)? They still seem to be insisting on going forward with the TouchWiz UI. Anyone got a report on it - battery, connectivity, does video playback /recording work on this etc.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1420996

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

I flashed it a few days ago and have been using it since.. It's pretty good, no major complaints and pretty much everything works including video playback and face unlock. For me battery life is much better than LP6 which sometimes refused to enter deep sleep. Sometimes an app stops responding and the screen goes black for 20 secs or so but this doesn't happen very often maybe twice a day.
    Finally, yes they are sticking with TW but this is not an issue for me as I like it :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Anyone on darkys ics based ROM by any chance?

If so, how do you find it?

Ta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 rommy

Ive used darkies rom and its very nice indeed close to stock but much faster but with out a shadow of a dought the best rom for s2 is cm7 i use the nightles from here and have not had one problem http://cyanogenmod.arif-ali.co.uk/rom/ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭pedatron

rommy wrote: »
    Ive used darkies rom and its very nice indeed close to stock but much faster but with out a shadow of a dought the best rom for s2 is cm7 i use the nightles from here and have not had one problem http://cyanogenmod.arif-ali.co.uk/rom/ :)

Hi rommy. Could you go into more detail on the whole nightlies scene? Don't understand what it means and can't get a basic description when I google it. Also that link doesn't work sorry!!

:)

Hi pedatron the nightlies are released each nite to fix bugs and the like i have to stress these are unofficial nightles as the main cm team is busy cooking up cm9 ics the nightlies are based off of the last stable cm7 rls which can be found here http://www.cyanogenmod.com/about also the link is working for me so not sure why you can get it working.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hey Rommy,

I was on Darky's when I had the original Galaxy S then tried one or two others before settling for CheckRom with the SII. CheckRom seems to be well supported, is fast and efficient in terms of battery use and has the Kitchen app which allows custom tweaks to be easily made. I guess it's what I'd call a user friendly ROM for those of us with limited technical skills.

I'm now on quite an old version of CheckRom so it's time to upgrade, especially with ICS now unleashed so before I blindly upgrade to the latest CheckRom I'd be interested to get your thoughts on why you think Cyanogenmod is so good, particularly in relation to CheckRom?

I'm the kind of guy who'll update his ROM every 4-5 months or so, I'm not interested in doing it every few days as minor tweaks are added and the most important things for me are that the ROM is stable, fast and is light on battery useage.

I look forward to getting your input.

Ben

Hi Ben,
    Ive never tried CheckRom but only ever heard good things about it im guessing its like darkies rom in that it is close to stock,but offers a faster better rooted rom.Cyanogenmod on the other hand is a AOSP rom so its a diffrent experience,the CM team strip away all the bloat and battery wasting crap that you dont need.I prefer cm mainly becasue of its sheer speed and custom options hope that explains it to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Hi all

Got a samgsung Galaxy a month ago and when I call anyone, they all can hear themselves back on their phones. Any ideas how to solve problem greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

CMcJ

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi Ben,
    Ive never tried CheckRom but only ever heard good things about it im guessing its like darkies rom in that it is close to stock,but offers a faster better rooted rom.Cyanogenmod on the other hand is a AOSP rom so its a diffrent experience,the CM team strip away all the bloat and battery wasting crap that you dont need.I prefer cm mainly becasue of its sheer speed and custom options hope that explains it to you.

Thanks Rommy, that's a pretty good recommendation.

Is there an idiots guide to installing CM on an already rooted phone?? Which CM ROM would you recommend? Is there a stable ICS version out yet or is it due soon?

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭choronzonix

BenThere wrote: »
    Thanks Rommy, that's a pretty good recommendation.

Is there an idiots guide to installing CM on an already rooted phone?? Which CM ROM would you recommend? Is there a stable ICS version out yet or is it due soon?

Ben
    CM9 is the ICS version, but it's still in experimental stages. Some people have reported using it as a daily ROM but there are still some relatively large bugs, so it might not be a good place to start for a beginner. Still, you can read about how people are getting on with it here. CM7 is the last stable CM ROM, and I would also recommend CheckRom as it's fantastic and very easy to install and manage. If you're interested, here's a dummies guide to installing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭digiman

Any idea when the official ICS will be available on the phone to update?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

squire23 wrote: »

Been using it for a few days, not really much different to LPB. Seems to be an update every week, official ROM should be ready in a few weeks I reckon, in leaked form at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

OneWayBet wrote: »
    Originally Posted by squire23
    Another new Samsung ICS build has leaked I9100XXLPH
    http://blog.gsmarena.com/new-samsung...-benchmark-it/
    Been using it for a few days, not really much different to LPB. Seems to be an update every week, official ROM should be ready in a few weeks I reckon, in leaked form at least.

I flashed it last night and I'm liking the fact the annoying update now notification is gone. Yes I'd say it will not be long the polished/final version will be out.

Hi guys,

Just a quick question about Samsung Galaxy Tab

I have Task650's Rom on my tab (v14) and I was trying to install pershoot's kernal on to it last night. When I restart the tab now all I get are lines across the screen. I can still enter recovery thank God.

I foolishly didn't have the Task650's Rom backed up on my tab or the stock but I do have backups of both on my PC.

Can I use Odin to flash any of the backups I have on my PC ?

Thanks

AntiRip wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Just a quick question about Samsung Galaxy Tab

I have Task650's Rom on my tab (v14) and I was trying to install pershoot's kernal on to it last night. When I restart the tab now all I get are lines across the screen. I can still enter recovery thank God.

I foolishly didn't have the Task650's Rom backed up on my tab or the stock but I do have backups of both on my PC.

Can I use Odin to flash any of the backups I have on my PC ?

Thanks

If you have am sd card reader on you comp , and you have am adapter you can put the backups back on, make sure you pout them in the clockworkmod folder. It sounds like the kernel you flashed isn't right for the ROM. Good luck

ChriisM wrote: »
    If you have am sd card reader on you comp , and you have am adapter you can put the backups back on, make sure you pout them in the clockworkmod folder. It sounds like the kernel you flashed isn't right for the ROM. Good luck

Don't have the SD adapters for the tab. Yep, wrong kernal I say. Also, the problem is that the ROM.zip needs to be in the root of the internal storage of the tab to get flashed so I don't think I will be able to access that even with the SD adapters?

Just wondering if I can do it with Odin maybe? Can't post in xda as I don't have enough posts.

Thanks

• Advertisement

AntiRip wrote: »

Don't have the SD adapters for the tab. Yep, wrong kernal I say. Also, the problem is that the ROM.zip needs to be in the root of the internal storage of the tab to get flashed so I don't think I will be able to access that even with the SD adapters?

Just wondering if I can do it with Odin maybe? Can't post in xda as I don't have enough posts.

Thanks
    go back to wherever you got the ROM and see if you can get the original kernel, or of you still have the ROM on the sd just wipe and reflash , and if that didn't work put it into download mode and flash a stock ROM trough odin then aa custom ROM

go back to wherever you got the ROM and see if you can get the original kernel, or of you still have the ROM on the sd just wipe and reflash , and if that didn't work put it into download mode and flash a stock ROM trough odin then aa custom ROM

Didn't have the rom in my sd (lesson learnt!) but I was able to download a stock rom and reflash with Odin. All good again, just have to re-root and get a custom rom again ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Can you mount your internal/external SD card in recovery mode? Should be able to in CWM recovery, you could transfer files from your PC to tablet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Does Modding the phone have any effect on sending MMS messages? Have it modded to the Ultra Toxic Rom and Siyah Kernel & Jkay Themes However each time I go to send an MMS it wont send?

On o2 and they sent me some settings previously but cannot get it to work

Can it be the fact that Mod not compatible with MMS ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Does Modding the phone have any effect on sending MMS messages? Have it modded to the Ultra Toxic Rom and Siyah Kernel & Jkay Themes However each time I go to send an MMS it wont send?

Can't say that I have sent an MMS in a long time -with Whatsapp and the like, but this was an issue with custom ROMs before. I certainly remember MMS not working with a lot of the custom ROMs on my Hero before.

Zagato wrote: »

Can't say that I have sent an MMS in a long time -with Whatsapp and the like, but this was an issue with custom ROMs before. I certainly remember MMS not working with a lot of the custom ROMs on my Hero before.

Mms works on id say every gs2 ROM, but if it doesn't just restore a backup simple

Mms works on id say every gs2 ROM, but if it doesn't just restore a backup simple

A Back up of what?

Dont use MMS that often but would like to have the option. Using GoSMS and can create and insert a picture into an MMS message but it just won't send?

Cheers

A Back up of what?

Dont use MMS that often but would like to have the option. Using GoSMS and can create and insert a picture into an MMS message but it just won't send?

Cheers
    A backup of a previous working ROM.

And if its not sending , go into settings> network settings>apn settings and you might be on data instead of mms , give that a shot

And if its not sending , go into settings> network settings>apn settings and you might be on data instead of mms , give that a shot

Not sure if it ever worked as never had stock rom almost modded since day 1 and just tried to send an mms recently and it would not sent

Network mode is set to GSM/WCDMA and when I go into APN settings it has 02 Streaming and O2 MMS and just set the APN type to Internet and MMS. ports seem ok

I can now select either o2 streaming or o2 mms wonder is there a way you can use both without having to change each time or am I missing something, probably...

• Advertisement

Not sure if it ever worked as never had stock rom almost modded since day 1 and just tried to send an mms recently and it would not sent

Network mode is set to GSM/WCDMA and when I go into APN settings it has 02 Streaming and O2 MMS and just set the APN type to Internet and MMS. ports seem ok

I can now select either o2 streaming or o2 mms wonder is there a way you can use both without having to change each time or am I missing something, probably...

Best thing to do is check with o2, this question has more than Likely be answered before, your mms apn might he wrong SMS as far as I know you can't put boot asst the same time because there separate access points. And make sure the person at the other end has there's set to mms to be able to download it.

Advertisement