Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,822 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

briany wrote: »
    Last night, after that 3-1 defeat, I put on Tyrannosaur (glutton for punishment I suppose :P) and thought it was excellent. I love Mike Leigh's films, Naked, Abigail's Party, Happy go Lucky and Nuts in May being favourites, as well as the work of Shane Meadows and now Considine looks as if he's turning into a serious film maker in the same mold. It's great to see and Tyrannosaur, I thought, had the hallmarks of the aforementioned people's best films because in amongst the grit and the bleakness was a lot of humanity, warmth and humour. I had prepared myself for a Nil by Mouth clone but actually was treated to a very well balanced, tough slice of life.

8/10

Aye, it's full of great "Mike Leigh" scenes, like when
    they attend the wake of Joes friend. It's uplifting, depressing, funny, sad and almost threatens to boil over into a corny cliché, all in one go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Prometheus

I went in to this with expectations. I'm fond of Alien and to a lesser extent it's sequels. I'm very fond of sci-fi in general. But apart from that I know that Ridley Scott has form with good sci-fi. But I was sorely disappointed.
    From the ham-fisted religious element and pondering on the soul and the afterlife to the disposable, half-formed characters and illogical evolution of the plot this film just layered disappointment on top of disappointment. I'm generally willing to overlook minor plot holes and dangling storyline threads if the core story is good. But even at that, I found it a fairly standard haunted house type story. It had no drive (dare I say soul) and came across as some set pieces loosely strung together or else a much longer, better film cut to pieces in the editing room.

My biggest criticism of the film however, might seem a bit petty. The two scientists, Shaw and the other guy, were terrible scientists. The other guy (I honestly can't remember his name), well he didn't find what he wanted to find and so became completely uninterested, drinking champagne while the others examined an aliens head! Imagine, you're a scientist having just discovered an alien species, would you sit back and get hammered or would you be right in there learning what you could? It makes no sense.

I won't go on about the aliens themselves; the mutated maggots were fine, the scientist guy dying was almost good, the zombie geologist was pointless except to kill off some unnamed characters, the giant vagina squid seems forced in just to put us in mind of the chestburster and to be a convenient savior at the end, the Engineers are a bit meh and the proto-xenomorph at the end - why did it come out fully formed when the xenomorph in Alien had to grow?

I actually found myself rolling my eyes at parts of this film. Capped off by a giant rolling spaceship crushing Charlize Theron. Really, it just rolled over on top of her. Neither of them thought to run sideways, no?

The religious elements (I can't call them undertones) wouldn't bother me except for the line "That's what I choose to believe." What an utterly ridiculous line. Like most of the film, it only has substance because we think it should when in reality it's just a line that has no meaning. But it gets repeated so we know that Shaw's father was a great example for her. I think it was this line that made me give up on the film. But even after having the entire creation story very much disproved Shaw comes out with something along the lines of "Well, who created them?" *Sigh* I expected too much from this.

The only redeeming quality to this film was the set design, Michael Fassbender and leaving the cinema. What a pile of utter tripe.

3/10

EDIT: I wouldn't even call this science fiction. Call it fantasy or science fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭briany

Tony EH wrote: »
    Aye, it's full of great "Mike Leigh" scenes, like when
    they attend the wake of Joes friend. It's uplifting, depressing, funny, sad and almost threatens to boil over into a corny cliché, all in one go.

I was initially surprised to hear
    'Sing all our cares away' by Damien Dempsey playing over that scene but then again, who better to sing over a film that revels in bleak urban situations? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Tony EH wrote: »

'Tyrannosaur'

Scottish actor Peter Mullan stars as a unemployed man, down on his luck and prone to violent outbursts of temper.

Two films of his I have seen, this and On a Clear Day in both he plays the same role, working man left unemployed and no luck about him.

Not that I am knocking him Clear Day is a very good film

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

Sensation - new Irish movie about a farmer who opens a brothel. Thought it was terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭briany

LCD wrote: »
    The Grey

Liam Nesson & a bunch of wolves
    , very very boring & depressing. Watse of 2 hours!

That assessment sounds very Dougal-esque. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

fitz0 wrote: »
    Prometheus

I went in to this with expectations. I'm fond of Alien and to a lesser extent it's sequels. I'm very fond of sci-fi in general. But apart from that I know that Ridley Scott has form with good sci-fi. But I was sorely disappointed.
    From the ham-fisted religious element and pondering on the soul and the afterlife to the disposable, half-formed characters and illogical evolution of the plot this film just layered disappointment on top of disappointment. I'm generally willing to overlook minor plot holes and dangling storyline threads if the core story is good. But even at that, I found it a fairly standard haunted house type story. It had no drive (dare I say soul) and came across as some set pieces loosely strung together or else a much longer, better film cut to pieces in the editing room.

My biggest criticism of the film however, might seem a bit petty. The two scientists, Shaw and the other guy, were terrible scientists. The other guy (I honestly can't remember his name), well he didn't find what he wanted to find and so became completely uninterested, drinking champagne while the others examined an aliens head! Imagine, you're a scientist having just discovered an alien species, would you sit back and get hammered or would you be right in there learning what you could? It makes no sense.

I won't go on about the aliens themselves; the mutated maggots were fine, the scientist guy dying was almost good, the zombie geologist was pointless except to kill off some unnamed characters, the giant vagina squid seems forced in just to put us in mind of the chestburster and to be a convenient savior at the end, the Engineers are a bit meh and the proto-xenomorph at the end - why did it come out fully formed when the xenomorph in Alien had to grow?

I actually found myself rolling my eyes at parts of this film. Capped off by a giant rolling spaceship crushing Charlize Theron. Really, it just rolled over on top of her. Neither of them thought to run sideways, no?

The religious elements (I can't call them undertones) wouldn't bother me except for the line "That's what I choose to believe." What an utterly ridiculous line. Like most of the film, it only has substance because we think it should when in reality it's just a line that has no meaning. But it gets repeated so we know that Shaw's father was a great example for her. I think it was this line that made me give up on the film. But even after having the entire creation story very much disproved Shaw comes out with something along the lines of "Well, who created them?" *Sigh* I expected too much from this.

The only redeeming quality to this film was the set design, Michael Fassbender and leaving the cinema. What a pile of utter tripe.

3/10

EDIT: I wouldn't even call this science fiction. Call it fantasy or science fantasy.

The spoilers here literally sum up everything i felt about the movie... well played, sir! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

24 hour party people Loved this film, loved the subject, the cameos, the music, loved the narration to the camera.:D

The only thing I could fault was I kept thinking Alan Partridge rather than Tony Wilson....prob just me tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Watched CONDORMAN last week and really enjoyed it. Not a great story or acting, just an entertaining (kids) film to watch on a rainy day. If you seen it as a kid you will enjoy it more.
    7/10

Just finished watching THE GAME and at the end of it i really had to think if i liked it or not. The twists were unexpected and designed to confuse but its nice to be surprised by a film. Everything "falls" into place a bit to perfect, although the story, acting and suspense more than makes up for any flaws.
    6/10

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

Ye olde silent horror classic. Stands out mostly for its astonishingly unique set design - full of distorted architecture and nightmarishly sharp edges. The overall design of the film, while clearly quite theatrical, puts modern films to shame. The film itself is a fun little yarn about a psychopathic doctor who shows up at a funfair with a lad in a coffin. Murders promptly occur. But there's a twist!

It's nice and compact at 70 minutes, and is well worth a curiosity watch for fans of classic or horror cinema to help contextualise everything that followed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,822 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Bassboxxx wrote: »
    24 hour party people Loved this film, loved the subject, the cameos, the music, loved the narration to the camera.:D

The only thing I could fault was I kept thinking Alan Partridge rather than Tony Wilson....prob just me tho.

No, me too. Kept waiting for "A-Ha!"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I watched Fantasia a few nights ago. Very strange but wonderful and I loved it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭Raoul

Bassboxxx wrote: »

Watched this earlier and I agree about the Partridge comparison. Still thought it was a very good movie. Mostly enjoyable due to the music which is what it says it is all about.

Now what to watch after the football.:confused:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

The Pact

As a woman struggles to come to grips with her past in the wake of her mother's death, an unsettling presence emerges in her childhood home.

I’m a big horror film fan so I sometimes feel obliged to see horror films when they appear in the cinema. I’ve got to fly my genre colours so I took a break from the football and checked this out tonight.

This is the story of sisters who return to the family home after the death of their mother. One sister arrives first and before the other arrives she disappears. Once her sister arrives things start to get spooky; strange text messages, slamming doors, poltergeist attacks etc. She goes to the police to tell them off her sisters disappearance and the scares in the house but only one cop tries to help her. The cop and the sister lead parallel investigations into what happened in the house.

I thought this was fantastic. It does nothing new but everything it does it does brilliantly. There’s an excellent performance from Caity Lotz as the lead and some very good scares. The atmosphere is tense and bleak and there’s a couple of excellent twists. There’s one or two plot threads that aren’t properly resolved but otherwise this is a fine film. One for horror fans and thriller fans alike.

8/10

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Turin Horse - breezy, lighthearted comedy from eternal optimist Bela Tarr. The time flies by. Recommended for first dates and family outings alike.

But seriously: one of the best films released in a while. For all its pretensions and challenging content, it's a haunting and oppressive experience throughout. Finding poetry through repetition and camera movements, it is somewhat of an endurance test but a rewarding one.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The People vs George Lucas, funny documentary about Lucas messing around with the Star Wars movies and ruining Indy 4:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Stand by me. (1983)

I give it a 10/10, Im not really into these kinda films. But I must admit, it really is a good film. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

The Help I kept putting this film on hold but watched it tonight and really enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Einstein and Eddington

Ok it sounds not so interesting
    To do with Einstein in Berlin and Professor Eddington [I'd never heard of him either] in Cambridge trying to prove theories

Set in 1914 and works through the war years

Both have issues when their other scientists turn to making explosives and gas and putting their knowledge to war.

It's pretty upbeat and held my interest

Andy Serkis was top class as Einstein
    That Einstein, he was one eccentric fecker :pac: If he was in Ireland we'd call him a gas man :D

Thought it was very good
    Very talented cast and and based on a true story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"The Last September" (1999) on DVD - hard to find! An excellent take on the last days of the Anglo Irish Ascendancy. A young woman in the 'Big House' comes of age against the background of Black & Tan and IRA violence. Some great acting (and accents) from Michael Gambon, Maggie Smith and the young British officer at the heart of things played by David Tennant (Dr.Who). If you can't wait to find a DVD, the whole movie can be viewed on YouTube. 8/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Stand by me. (1983)

I give it a 10/10, Im not really into these kinda films. But I must admit, it really is a good film. :)

1986, plus 2 for flinching.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 10,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Finally got around to watching Thor the other night, and thought it was a disappointingly meh load of twaddle. Easily the least interesting role I've seen Hemsworth in, and I was disappointed to see that the one part I found interesting (where Thor starts to explain Yggdrasil & the interconnectedness of the 9 realms to whatserface) was fairly short. It was ok, but I'm glad as hell I didn't pay £10 to see it at the cinema.

If this is what I should expect from the Avengers, I'm glad I've not bothered with it so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

1986, plus 2 for flinching.

I was only born in 1993, so I not old enough to remember it being in the pictures. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I was only born in 1993, so I not old enough to remember it being in the pictures. :p

But you are old enough to google when it came out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

The Turin Horse - breezy, lighthearted comedy from eternal optimist Bela Tarr. The time flies by. Recommended for first dates and family outings alike.

But seriously: one of the best films released in a while. For all its pretensions and challenging content, it's a haunting and oppressive experience throughout. Finding poetry through repetition and camera movements, it is somewhat of an endurance test but a rewarding one.
    It made me hungry for potatoes.

I lost count: did we have graphic potato eating four or five times? The father character has the weirdest eating and peeling technique I've ever seen!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

"The Last September" (1999) on DVD - hard to find! An excellent take on the last days of the Anglo Irish Ascendancy. A young woman in the 'Big House' comes of age against the background of Black & Tan and IRA violence. Some great acting (and accents) from Michael Gambon, Maggie Smith and the young British officer at the heart of things played by David Tennant (Dr.Who). If you can't wait to find a DVD, the whole movie can be viewed on YouTube. 8/10
    Love this book; Bowen is a fantastic writer. Going to watch this, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Strange, my post from the other day is not there. I watched The Greatest Movie Ever Sold enjoyed it for what it is, a tongue in cheek look at something which really annoys me, product placement and advertising in the movies.

Best movie name ever! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The Proposition

Realy liked it

Australia back then was a very harsh and unforgiving place
    Some unreal racism against the Aborigines, treated no better then dogs
    The Irish weren't far off the bottom either though!

Ray Winstone and Guy Pearce were excellent
    John Hurt was brilliant, reminded me a bit of his role as the Bird in The Field

I couldn't name you one Nick Cave song, don't know any of them
    But I read he did the soundtrack and it was excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

mikemac1 wrote: »
    The Proposition

Realy liked it

Australia back then was a very harsh and unforgiving place
    Some unreal racism against the Aborigines, treated no better then dogs
    The Irish weren't far off the bottom either though!

Ray Winstone and Guy Pearce were excellent
    John Hurt was brilliant, reminded me a bit of his role as the Bird in The Field

I couldn't name you one Nick Cave song, don't know any of them
    But I read he did the soundtrack and it was excellent.

Certainly was, and he also wrote the screenplay! He and Warren Ellis also did the soundtracks to The Road and The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, which were great too. Talented man!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement