Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetarian (etc.) bargains/special offers thread

14567810»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

dee. wrote: »
    The quorn BBQ fillets and Linda McCartney sausages are so nice, glad I bought them. Has anyone tried the Linda McCartney tuscan chicken style fillets?
    Had the chicken, quite liked it. Nice little vegetable tomato sauce on top

I must like dog food. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Had the chicken, quite liked it. Nice little vegetable tomato sauce on top

Yeah I like them too. Heavy on the olives but then I like olives. :D

Wurly wrote: »
    I have and I really didn't like them. They taste like dog food.:(

I haven't tried dog food so can't comment but I thought they were very nice ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 joezie

Fry's Soya (available at The Health Shop and others) is really excellent quality! and delicious! Been having them for years now, think they really outdo the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

joezie wrote: »
    Fry's Soya (available at The Health Shop and others) is really excellent quality! and delicious! Been having them for years now, think they really outdo the competition.

and are they on offer?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Myself and the OH made a trip to Newry yesterday to stock up on veggie stuff. Our freezer is kinda overflowing now. Anyways - it's well worth a visit. Not necessarily cheaper up there but the choice is unbelievable.

Went to Sainsbury's first and got:
    Linda McCartney cheese and onion pastry plaits
    Quorn pasties
    Quorn pepperoni slices (these were so nice that my beloved ate the entire pack in the car on the way home. What a sight! - hahaahah)
    Quorn turkey and stuffing slices
    Sainsbury's own brand hot dogs, chicken burgers, sausages (these were very cheap). And from the sainsbury's 'taste the difference' range, I got butternut squash bakes and goats cheese in some tomato crumb thing.
    Cauldron aduki bean bakes.

Off to Tesco's in Banbridge where we picked up:
    Linda Mccartney prawns. (I was not a fan of these. Taste far too fishy for me but great for people that miss seafood).
    Quorn ocean pie - AMAZING
    Tesco hot dogs - also fabulous.
    Mushroom burgers
    Cheese and leek sausages (sometimes you can get these in the ROI)
    Barley and chickpea gumbo

Get yourselves up north folks. The selection is crap down here compared to up there.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I just picked up some stuff in Sainsbury Sprucefield last weekend after the non-event of the cricket. Delighted to hear the Pepperoni is good, got similar stuff to you, but also the Linda McCartney Rosemary sausages which i haven't seen down here.

Next time I'm bringing a big freezer bag with me!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

the quorn shepherds pies are 2 for a fiver in tesco, they're actually really nice and and quite low in calories too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Decided to swing by Sainsbury's Sprucefield after visiting the Titanic exhibit and I was astonished by the bounty of veggie fodder available; it really puts us to shame down here.

Among the haul were:

-Cauldron Moroccan Kiev
    -Quorn Mexican Chilli
    -Sainsbury's Mushroom and Spinach Bakes
    -Sainsbury's Nut Cutlets
    -Quorn Cottage Pie
    -Quorn Pepperoni Slices
    -Quorn Light Pieces
    -Quorn Smoked Lime & CHilli Burgers
    -Sainsbury's Sweetflamed Pepper and Goat's Cheese Bake

Thus far, I've only tried the pepperoni slices and I was pleasantly surprised; they really capture the 'kick'!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 gracielooks

Steven81 wrote: »
    Had the Linda Italian sausages when i was in England last september, absolutely fab so they were so was delighted to see them here. I dont know if they will be permanent but much nicer thn others.

What are the other products like, leek and asparagus looks good on the box anyway

I'll have to try the Italian ones so. I can't believe how bad the original ones are, absolute shocker. My cat ate them though! The only thing I miss about eating meat is eating sausages, I find all the veggies ones so so dry. Anyone find one that is moist or tips for keeping them moist while cooking? I saw a recipe in Simon Rimmer's book for sausages and he used lancashire cheese, has anyone seen that on sale in Dublin? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

I'll have to try the Italian ones so. I can't believe how bad the original ones are, absolute shocker. My cat ate them though! The only thing I miss about eating meat is eating sausages, I find all the veggies ones so so dry. Anyone find one that is moist or tips for keeping them moist while cooking? I saw a recipe in Simon Rimmer's book for sausages and he used lancashire cheese, has anyone seen that on sale in Dublin? Thanks

Have you ever tried Redwood sausages? Many health shop stock them (the HopSack for example :) ) and they are absolutely delicious!
    The also have Tivall frankfurters but they are a bit pricey :(

• Registered Users Posts: 47 gracielooks

@darconio No I haven't, but I will thanks, I looked at that link and the Lincolnshire style ones actually look good. I live near the Hopsack too so happy days, thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

Several Quorn and Linda McCarthy products are now reduced to less than half price in tesco Jervis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

10155388_526145024157458_268441775620477001_n.jpg

Noticed 2 for €3 on Rice cream in Dunnes this eve. Usually around €2.20 each! I mainly use this in cereal, I like the taste but its too watery for much other uses. Anyone else use it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Oh i'd love to get some I only buy cheapo stuff atm in tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Noticed 2 for €3 on Rice cream in Dunnes this eve. Usually around €2.20 each! I mainly use this in cereal, I like the taste but its too watery for much other uses. Anyone else use it?

We use it for shakes and smoothies, thanks for this!

That milk is still 2 for €3

Linda McCartney products reduced to €1.50 each in Dunnes.

555533b.jpg
    This milk was also 2 for €3 but was all sold out when i got to the shelf, grrr!

10155388_526145024157458_268441775620477001_n.jpg

Bought the plain rice one with added vitamins, it tastes so nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Tesco at the moment have tins of lentils (the green/brown ones) for 22 cents there are a bargain I have stocked up loads of them and they have veg stock cubes for 15cent, I am going to make a lentil, chickpea and spinach curry for dinner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

mariaalice wrote: »
    Tesco at the moment have tins of lentils (the green/brown ones) for 22 cents there are a bargain I have stocked up loads of them and they have veg stock cubes for 15cent, I am going to make a lentil, chickpea and spinach curry for dinner.

Lentils like this? When I was bumming around Spain and France I lived off these tins and jars of brown lentils. I remember I used to buy a tin of ratatouille, tin of brown lentils, harissa and aioli and put it into a roll :D It was actually delicious. My ma (a Spaniard) also makes an amazing brown lentil stew.

The problem is I can't seem to find brown lentils anywhere, even tins. It's always the packaged red/green lentils or yellow split peas (all of which are also great) but never these delicious brown ones. They are hands down the king of lentils! If I see them in Tescos I am buying a months supply :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I don't know how to put a pic of the tin on this, but they look like the pic you have up. They are called Tesco green lentils in water 235g drained weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

Like this? Brown lentils called green lentils... Or are green lentils actually brown lentils? I dont know anymore!

It would appear they're distinctly different. I didnt know puy lentils=green lentils. Brown lentils are still my favourite. Though then again red lentils are pretty up there... Whole different thread though :D

Haven't noticed any bargains in Tescos lately, but their standard dark chocolate is pretty cheap! I also got some leeks not too long ago that were only 29c :eek: Though I tend not to trust veg that's so cheap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Freezer full of Quorn products in Limerick Lidl now. Cheaper than Tesco/Dunnes etc. Good selection: Nuggets, escallopes, chicken pieces, mince and more. Think it was either 1.73 or 2.73 per 300g bag of pieces/mince etc. Happy about this moreso because of Quorn is one of the main things that has stopped me from being able to get complete household shopping in Lidl/Aldi etc.

Wish quorn were vegan! Have to pop in to health food shops now.

Freezer full of Quorn products in Limerick Lidl now. Cheaper than Tesco/Dunnes etc. Good selection: Nuggets, escallopes, chicken pieces, mince and more. Think it was either 1.73 or 2.73 per 300g bag of pieces/mince etc. Happy about this moreso because of Quorn is one of the main things that has stopped me from being able to get complete household shopping in Lidl/Aldi etc.
    In LIDL in Terenure as well... €1.79 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

the big bag ( 500g ) of quorn mince is half price in Tesco at the moment making it cheaper than the smaller bag.

Advertisement