Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Compu Global Hyper Meganet

Really good thread.

One that I heard a few years ago was about the film "A Few Good Men". A lot of people have probably seen it ("You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!"). It's basically about 2 U.S. marines who were court martialled for killing another marine. They claimed that they was ordered to do it by their superior. Ultimately, the superior is found guilty of ordering it, and the marines was set free. That's the background stuff. It turns out that the story was based on a real life incident and one of the two real life marines (called David Cox) felt aggrieved that he wasn't consulted about or paid royalties for the film. He spoke out publicly and intriguingly claimed that there were a number of inaccuracies in the film and that the real story was much more sinister. He said that he was going to file a lawsuit against the film makers and that he planned to write a tell all (auto)biography about the incident.

He disappeared immediately afterwards, and 3 months later his body was found. He died from multiple gunshot wounds. The case was never solved, but needless to say many believe that it was ordered by the U.S. Military.

http://unsolvedmysteries.wikia.com/wiki/David_Cox

http://www.unsolved.com/ajaxfiles/une_david_cox.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Not unsolved mysteries as such but every month I get a travel magazine called Wanderlust. This month they are featuring "Mysteries worth travelling for"

The Main articles feature fairly normal stuff like the Aye Aye in Madagascar, The Nazca Lines (which are genuinely strange considering how long ago they were drawn - just how did they know what they were doing?), Avebury (which I have been to) there is half a village in the middle of it but beautiful on a misty morning like when I was there.

Gobekli Tepe - the oldest man made site in the world.

However its the 20 Mysteries worth travelling for that took my eye

Easter Island Moai, Chile
    Gobi Rock Art, Mongolia
    Lock Ness Monster, Scotland
    Younaguni, Okinawa
    Stone Spheres, Costa Rica
    Eye of the Sahara, Mauritania
    Pyramids of Giza, Egypt
    Sailing Stones, USA
    Lost City of Ubar, Oman
    Socotra, Yemen (the dragons blood trees)
    Marfa Ghost Lights, USA
    Pulemelei, Samoa
    the Yeti, Himalaya
    Standing Stones, Laos
    San Augustan Statues, Colombia
    Moeraki Boulders, New Zealand
    Tasmanian Tiger, Australia (Extinct?)
    Lourdes, FranceSiem Reap, Cambodia - The Search for the Holy Mountain
    Angkor Wat, Cambodia

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Gokei wrote: »

Circleville is a small city in Ohio that has a population of over 13,000. Its biggest event is the annual Circleville Pumpkin Show. It is also the home of a mysterious letter writer known as the Circleville Letter Writer. Starting in 1976 residents of Circleville began receiving mysterious, vindictive letters. Thousands of letters, written in block letters were sent to city officials and even normal citizens. One recipient of the letters was school bus driver Mary Gillespie. She received letters accusing her of having an extra-martial affair with a school official. On August 19, 1977 Mary’s husband Ron Gillispie received a phone call seeming to indicate the identity of the writer. He left his house with his gun to confront the writer. He was found dead a short distance from his house. His car was driven off the road and his gun had been fired once. He died as a result of the crash and it is unknown why he fired the gun. It is unclear if it was an accident or murder. Later, while driving her bus, Mary saw signs along her route harassing her. She went to take one down and discovered a booby-trap meant to fire a gun at her. The gun belonged to her former brother-in-law Paul Freshour. Freshour was convicted of attempted murder and was thought to be the Circleville writer. However, while incarcerated the letters continued despite him being in solitary confinement without access to letter writing material and his mail being monitored. He was denied parole because of the letters and received one himself after his parole was denied.

Creepy!

Maybe there was more than him involved in it all, or perhaps a copycat.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭LOSTfan57

1) What does the fox say?
    2) Whats the meaning of Stonehenge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Edit, sorry wrong thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

LordSutch wrote: »

I would like to report this post - my picture was posted up without my permission. Jeez, I should have shaved :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Is that your tummy button and tats I see?

jaze, for the last hour,Ive been reading that Cicada 3301 mystery ( feck ye, whover posted about it ;), had never heard of it before today .

The Warning part of it, is very ominous :)

Cracking read.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Jake1 wrote: »
    jaze, for the last hour,Ive been reading that Cicada 3301 mystery ( feck ye, whover posted about it ;), had never heard of it before today .
    Muhahaha!

• Advertisement

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »

Damn you, Damn you to hell, I say !! ;):D

So, looking to read more, I wiki-ed it, and got this :eek:

''This page has been deleted. The deletion and move log for the page are provided below for reference.
    18:26, 6 October 2013 Black Kite (talk | contribs) deleted page Cicada 3301 (Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/Cicada 3301)''

feck it anyway:)

update from sept 2013

''Anonymous 09/11/13(Wed)00:01 No.13404677 Replies: >>13405108 I won in 2013. I am now a member. I can't really say much about it, other than it's pretty insane. They'd excommunicate me if they even saw me claim to be "in" in public.

The puzzles did finish this year. I got an email, which led to more and more personalized puzzles. So you're right, it is over. For now.

Everybody just needs to wait until 2014 to see... This next one is supposed to be the "final" one, and will is supposed to reveal something even greater.''

If ye want to know more email me for clues :)

• I'd love to know to what extent if any 9/11 was an inside job

Of the richest and most powerful people, who knew what before during and after that day, I'm curious to know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Gokei

I'd love to know to what extent if any 9/11 was an inside job

Of the richest and most powerful people, who knew what before during and after that day, I'm curious to know

Ahhh feck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Really good thread.

One that I heard a few years ago was about the film "A Few Good Men". A lot of people have probably seen it ("You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!"). It's basically about 2 U.S. marines who were court martialled for killing another marine. They claimed that they was ordered to do it by their superior. Ultimately, the superior is found guilty of ordering it, and the marines was set free. That's the background stuff. It turns out that the story was based on a real life incident and one of the two real life marines (called David Cox) felt aggrieved that he wasn't consulted about or paid royalties for the film. He spoke out publicly and intriguingly claimed that there were a number of inaccuracies in the film and that the real story was much more sinister. He said that he was going to file a lawsuit against the film makers and that he planned to write a tell all (auto)biography about the incident.

He disappeared immediately afterwards, and 3 months later his body was found. He died from multiple gunshot wounds. The case was never solved, but needless to say many believe that it was ordered by the U.S. Military.

http://unsolvedmysteries.wikia.com/wiki/David_Cox

http://www.unsolved.com/ajaxfiles/une_david_cox.htm

Or Hollywood types??

Or Hollywood types??

Are you saying the studio had him whacked to avoid a lawsuit?

Bit ott, no?

Much more likely the army silenced his coming exposé, or could be to do with the missing deliveries from his UPS days..

I watched this high budget new JFK documentary last night

The cinematography on the reconstructions is excellent. The new consesus it reaches however is quite outlandish, even my conspiracy loving mind couldnt quite make the leap.

It is still worth a look for the production values alone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭ilikepears

Great thread!

The McStay Family disappearance in USA always intrigued me

It seems it may be the verge of becoming solved which would be great, albeit also very sad, for their families. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2507797/Fears-skeletons-shallow-desert-graves-missing-family.html
    RIP to those found.

oops, already beaten to it .

Sad ending for the family

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

How does santa deliver all them presents..

• Advertisement

ilikepears wrote: »
    It seems it may be the verge of becoming solved which would be great, albeit also very sad, for their families. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2507797/Fears-skeletons-shallow-desert-graves-missing-family.html
    RIP to those found.
    Oh God. I always hoped that they were happily living in Mexico.
    I hope they find out exactly what happened.

Fcuk the cartels (I'm assuming).

case885 wrote: »
    How does santa deliver all them presents..
    By flying with the time zones, he actually has more than 24hrs, so is handy done..

And reindeer magic, don't forget the reindeer magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Rat poison now suspected in Brittany Murphy's death
    A new report claims actress Brittany Murphy, who died in December 2009, may have been poisoned.

The ‘Clueless’ and ‘8 Mile’ star died in hospital, shortly after collapsing at her Hollywood home. She had been suffering from headaches, abdominal cramps, coughing, sweating and pneumonia

Now, a new toxicology report commissioned by her father Angelo Bertolotti, suggests that Brittany did not die from natural causes, and may have in fact been poisoned.

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/brittany-murphy-%E2%80%98may-have-been-poisoned%E2%80%99-180431896.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

The Sack of Baltimore, West Cork

Solved but still mysterious.

This isn't mysterious at all, and was quite common. You should read a book about The Barbary Wars. I wrote a blog post a while back about it.

http://semirandommusings.blogspot.com/2013/10/the-barbary-pirates_22.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

To this day I still have no idea just who was phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

I think the Zodiac case in the US is fascinating.

I believe that Nathan Kaminsky (aka David Cohen) was Jack the Ripper. But he's just the most likely suspect in my opinion, will never be proved.

I don't believe a Loch Ness monster ever existed but this bad boy is weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I've heard Green Boots mentioned casually in conversation in documentaries about mountain climbing elsewhere. He really is used as a waypoint, like saying "the crossroads next to Kelly's pub" or something, it's really strange to hear.

• Advertisement

[-0-] wrote: »
    Yeah, when I first heard about it I was kind of outraged and wondered why nobody was removing them for burial.

When you think about it though, it's too dangerous.

I even read about some members of a dead climber's family climbing up to see her body and then just having to leave her there. *shudder*

It's very disturbing to see them so perfectly preserved, poles and clothes intact.

Advertisement