Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Market

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

Beer Baron wrote: »
    I'm not going to pretend for a moment I know what overheads a guy with a roasting pig has compared to a guy in a restaurant with an oven has but I WILL SAY I think €6 for a bap is wayyyy to much money.

I'm a miser but that's just me. :D

Agreed €6 is taking the mick, I think €3.50/€4 would be a more appropriate price!

The prices in the market in general are scandalous. I bought 1 slice of Pork Terrine (Just to try it) and was charged €4.95, thank God I didn't ask for 4 or 5 slices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

I eat the bap most weekends for my lunch - I find its good value for money as its quite filling! And its all natural products which is whats increasing the price (Its not mass processed **** like McDonalds)

And these people need to pay the bills, and make a profit too. Don't like it? Don't go there!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,147 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I eat the bap most weekends for my lunch - I find its good value for money as its quite filling! And its all natural products which is whats increasing the price (Its not mass processed **** like McDonalds)

Did you know that fried chicken in KFC is 98% fat free? It's actually the freshest and healthiest fast food you can eat so long as you avoid the chips and the coke. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sombaht

L.T.P. wrote: »
    Agreed €6 is taking the mick, I think €3.50/€4 would be a more appropriate price!

The prices in the market in general are scandalous. I bought 1 slice of Pork Terrine (Just to try it) and was charged €4.95, thank God I didn't ask for 4 or 5 slices.

If the local Mace/Centra charge €4 for a hot chicken roll, you're hardly going to get a pork bap (using much fresher ingredients) for €3.50.
    As for the pork terrine, I get it nearly every week and tbh €4.95 is reasonable to me. Hourses for courses.

Cheers,
    sombaht

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

sombaht wrote: »
    If the local Mace/Centra charge €4 for a hot chicken roll, you're hardly going to get a pork bap (using much fresher ingredients) for €3.50.
    As for the pork terrine, I get it nearly every week and tbh €4.95 is reasonable to me. Hourses for courses.

Cheers,
    sombaht

And the horses that don't last the courses end up in the terrine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sombaht

And damn tasty it is as a result! :)

Cheers,
    sombaht

• Registered Users Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭Raiser

The Irish way is that if you can have a nice little business selling a product or service to the Consumer generally then you can just as easily have an extortionate business selling overpriced products or services to those Consumers with low standards and more money than sense :D

- Either this crowd or a similar lot (from Adare I think) were in Foynes and the Limerick Show selling badly burnt pork (ie. charred and black as coal) for 6-7 Euro a pop cause they were too greedy to cook it at the right temperature and lose passing sales.

I also have personally witnessed the 'organic' vegetables being replaced once sold out from behind the stall selling the not so organic vegetables - I just hope they take good care not to accidentally mix them up as theres a huge price difference etc. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Voy

Kind of think it's reasonable considering the price of rolls, etc. you would buy in a shop. It's going to be better quality, so you should expect to pay a bit more.

The fast food argument is a good one as well. Got a burger and fries in Burger King for about 7 euro a while ago. It sounds like it would beat that pretty easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Down with the Capitalist free market I say! Limerick Soviet All The Way!

ROFL...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I don't mind paying for something thats nice, i wouldn't pay the 8 quid Eddie Rockets charge for an average burger, but a nice fresh pork bap for 6 thats pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭badboyblast

I know for a fact that the Bap is costing that person about 1.50 - 1.70 Euro
    to produce.

I have an Irish friend who does the exact same thing in London markets.
    Theres a bit of preperation in it , but 6 Euros is taking the Pi%%

3 Pounds sterling is the going price in the UK.

The market is a great spot but over priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 xelle

Food aside tho, I spend a lotta time in the market and I think there is some exceptional value! The Edge has some fantastic clothes and the prices are very realistic; theres a photography gallery there thats brilliant on product and price; and some of the stalls especially the vintage clothes stalls on the Friday are fab! I got a black skirt there last week with the label still on for €3. :D

It needs support tho....the basic economics of it are : no footfall, no stalls and vice versa. We have a great Market (at least I think so) but it needs some help!

Advertisement