Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting wifi working on ipod Touch

• 10-10-2007 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

Bought an ipod touch today but I can't get wifi working.
    So I can't use Safari, itunes store or youtube.

I use Magnet and have a wireless router. Airport works perfectly on my macbook.
    The ipod touch detects my wireless network and this is full bars so good signal strenght.

But anytime try to connect it states for example:
    "Safari can't open the page because of it can't find the server.

I've been looking for solutions through google and apple website for last two hours but nothing worked.

Any help appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

I only get that error when I input the wrong password or something (password at work is hard to remember, kept getting it wrong or typing it wrong). Once it was entered correctly once though I didnt get it again. Silly question but you sure its the right password you are typing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Nope, I rang the helpdesk at Magnet and confirmed I had the correct password and I can definitly log onto the network.
    I've even tried entering the password incorrectly and it got rejected.

So my network is ready to go and I have access.
    But I can't access any applications.

Other forums talks about IP addresses, DNS and MAC network addresses.
    Tbh, I don't know much about that end. I was hoping it would work straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

How about YouTube or the ITMS... any luck there? Or is it just Safari?
    Have you tried to connect it to any other WIFI?

440Hz wrote:
    How about YouTube or the ITMS... any luck there? Or is it just Safari?
    Have you tried to connect it to any other WIFI?

As I posted in the first post, cannot get Safari, ITMS or youtube working.

Might try the local McDonalds at the weekend to see if it works there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Set your router to allocate IP addresses via DHCP to the scope:

192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.20

(Assuming the IP of your router is 192.168.1.1).

Then set the IP address of the iPod Touch to 192.168.1.21
    Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0
    DNS - 192.168.1.1 (thats assuming your router is at that address).

Again, I don't know if you can configure the IP to static on iPod touch, but it is worth finding out if you can.

Another thing is MAC address filtering. Is that enabled?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info irock.

There are three sections: DHCP,BootIP, Static
    You can manually change the Static

Now in each section, there are fields and the main ones are:
    IP Address:
    Subnet Mask:
    Router:
    DNS:

At the moment, the default settings when I connect to Magnet are:
    IP Address: 169.254.60.19
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
    Router:
    DNS:

I've looked at the settings on my macbook and they are:
    IP Address: 87.198.17.37
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.248.0
    Router: 87.198.16.1

I'm guessing I have to complete the Router and DNS fields on my ipod touch but I'm not sure what with.
    Once again, any help appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Oirthir

Router:
    DNS:

That'll be your problem so. It looks like your router isn't properly assigning an IP. Don't know much about Magnet routers though. Have you got a model number or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Oirthir wrote: »
    That'll be your problem so. It looks like your router isn't properly assigning an IP. Don't know much about Magnet routers though. Have you got a model number or anything?
    I recall reading on boards that the device supplied by Magnet is not a router but more like a switch. IIRC, each device connected to the device receives a WAN [Internet] address, i.e. not in the range 192.168.x.y or 10.0.x.y.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Oirthir

ethernet wrote: »
    I recall reading on boards that the device supplied by Magnet is not a router but more like a switch. IIRC, each device connected to the device receives a WAN [Internet] address, i.e. not in the range 192.168.x.y or 10.0.x.y.
    Yeah, that makes sense alright in that it correlates with the IP his Macbook has.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Oirthir wrote: »

Isn't assigning IP addresses properly?
    The only differences between the two subnet masks 255.255.255.0 and 255.255.0.0 is the later has 16 network bits, 256 subnets and can allow 65534 hosts ;) - believe me I know (damn exams!).

Anyway, I would doubt very much that this is going to make any difference to you. The way I see it is you need an IP address, regardless of what it is.

If you feeling a bit bored and you have a spare computer or a VMWARE & a Ubuntu CD try this ;) :

http://ubuntulinuxhowto.blogspot.com/2006/06/setup-your-computer-to-be-router.html

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

micmclo wrote: »
    Nope, I rang the helpdesk at Magnet and confirmed I had the correct password and I can definitly log onto the network.
    Wait wait wait, you don't need to phone anybody.
    You're looking for the password to your wireless router, not your ISP password!

ethernet wrote: »

You may be well be right but the guy at Magnet Helpdesk assured me that Magnet had given me a router.
    iRock wrote: »
    The way I see it is you need an IP address, regardless of what it is.

I have an IP address for the Ipod touch. It's in an earlier post
    Oriel wrote: »
    You're looking for the password to your wireless router, not your ISP password!

I have both passwords. I am logged onto Magnet network through the Ipod touch. But the applications won't succesfully take me to any pages as they " cannot connect to the server" :(

Apologies for bringing back up this thread.
    I never got it sorted so I'd just like an opinion on more idea.

I now know that my Magnet router is not like a normal router.
    It doesn't seem to be assigning a standard IP address so the ipod touch cannot go online.
    Strangly, the macbook has no such problems.

I've checked the Apple website and they have something called an Airport Express Base Station.
    Could I use that instead of my router to connect to the internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Did magnet supply you with the wireless access point or did you buy it yourself ? If they supplied it is it separate to the "modem" or is it all the one unit ? How is your MacBook connected to the Magnet device ? Wireless or wired ?

ZEN

Magnet supplied a device made by Telsey.
    It's a router altough I've been told it's not a router but a switch as it doesn't assign IP addresses.

It's plugged into my Eircom phoneline.
    The macbook can connect wirelessly or use an ethernet cable. Both work.

The ipod touch does not however. Info on the IP addresses further up this post.

. . . .

Router:
    DNS:

These numbers suggest that the iPod is not getting any reply to it's request for an i.p. address via dhcp. The absence on a Router and DNS address are further proof assuming the wireless router is configured to serve this info. There are a couple of reasons that this could happen:

1. The router isn't set to deliver addresses via DHCP.
    2. The iPod Touch isn't connected and authorized on the wireless network, i.e. no WEP or WPA key provided.

@1. If the Macbook is set to obtain its address via DHCP then this is out.
    @2. When you joined the MacBook to the wireless network were you asked for a WEP or WPA key ? What did you enter (don't post the key here) ?

When the Touch finds a wireless network it should also ask for a WEP or WPA key, did you enter one ? If so it should display a check mark beside the network in the list, does it ?

My guess here is that the Touch doesn't have the correct key for your wireless point. To prove this try the following. In the network config on the Touch enter the same details as you read on the Macbook then turn the Macbook off - do you get access now ? If yes the great, if not then we need to investigate further.

Who configured the Macbook ? From Magnets site what ethernet says is spot on they don't provide a router but more a switch which suggest the ip addresses are served from Magnets DHCP server somehow. A setup I haven't experienced myself but their site says that multiple computers on the one connection are possible so I'm assuming it's manageable by the end user.

Let us know how you get on with the above first though.

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭MrMagoo

Hi all,

I had the same problem with the touch. Was working away fine for a few weeks, then stopped for no real reason (other than a full battery drain).

Anyway, after hours of searching for an answer, I found this and it works for me. Looks like the DNS was to blame, so this fix switches over the ipod touch to using OpenDNS instead of your router/ISP. (Also works for iphone).

* Go to Settings.
    * Select Wi-Fi.
    * Chose a network.
    * Select the blue arrow next to the network you are connected to.
    * Select DNS.
    * Change the DNS Address to 208.67.222.222

I don't see any real risks in doing this, but tell me if I am wrong!

Cheers. :D

EDIT: I should add that this won't solve the problem if you are seeing your ipod touch IP as 169.254.xxx.xxx. You will need to have a router assigned IP for this, so something like 192.168.xxx.xxx or 10.0.xxx.xxx etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 fr_dickbyrne

Did the above work for you micmclo?
    Have Magnet myself and am buying a touch and hoping to connect via WiFi.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Neworder79

If you still have problems with the Magnet router you could always just turn on internet sharing in the Macbooks "sharing" preference panel, turning the Mackbook into a WiFi router.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

This is a bonjour Class B IP address, it indicates that there is no IP assigned from the router (if it is a router) its an address format used for communication between 2 devices when no DHCP server is present, without a valid gateway or dns server address your itouch cannot resolve the web address to a destination

You may need to get a wireless base station and plug the magnet connection directly into it and use it to distribute the ip addresses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭cramp

I have posted a simular thread regarding this isuue with Magnet/Telsey/itouch,
    Magnet are NO help, and APPLE say everthing is OK with my Itouch..anyone resolve this isuue yet....

cramp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Router:
    DNS:

That 169.. address means that your iPod is not getting an address from Magnet - whenever my Mac has lost it's IP address, due to me changing a setting on the router (Airport Extreme Base Station), the IP address is a 169... one, and the network status says something like "this computer has a self-assigned IP address, and may not be able to connect to the internet". In my case, renewing the DHCP lease corrects this in seconds.

The fact that the MacBook has an 87... address is interesting. This is a public IP address issued by Magnet. Most broadband users have a router provided by their ISP, which is issued a single public IP address by the ISP, and which then issues all clients connected to it (PCs, Macs, iPods) with private IP addresses in the ranges 10... or 192.168..

It looks like Magnet issue each client with a public IP address through their "box" (it's obviously not a DHCP router then). The question is, do they allow users to connect more than one client at the same time? - you might try disconnecting the MacBook, and then trying to connect the iPod, to see if you get an address then.
    Also, ask Magnet to confirm how their system works, and whether you can connect multiple clients.
    PS: You shouldn't have to enter any details regarding the IP addresses, DNS servers or subnet mask - this should be managed by the Magnet server and your Mac/iPod agreeing them through DHCP. You should only need a password for your own WLAN, and your username and password to connect to Magnet.

Wow, I'd forgotten I'd started this thread and loads of responses still :)

I never got it sorted and despite ringing Magnet several times they didn't know what the issue was. And I've tried every suggestion on this thread
    Seems to be a problem specific for Magnet users.

I don't mind buying a wireless base station to try to resolve this but I'd need to be 100% I wasn't buying an expensive paperweight before I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

There are some other relevant threads here, and in particular this one

Thnks for ur reply Type 17, my settings with Magnet/telsey/itouch seem much simular as MIcmclo

DHCP or BOOTP or Static
    below these options are present on the Itouch

ip address 169.254.19
    subnet mask 255.255.0.0

It seems from reading the links that u gave above that these Telsey Modems aint routers at all, and seperate WIFI router might be the only solution!!!!!

Magnet are very unhelpfull regarding this issue!!!

cramp

Just thought that i would update this post...
    We now have a Nintendo Wii in the house that will not connect to the Telsey Modem.....
    I then then remembered i have a 2WIRE wifi modem that Magnet supplied to me about 1 year ago , and never asked for it back....
    Anyway i rigged this up via Ethernet to the TELSEY and this is working as a router, but i have the same problem via WIFI no connection, the ITOUCH will recognise the 2wire modem and except the magnet pass , but no internet access with itouch... it was suggedted earlier in this thread that a 2nd wifi router might solve this wifi problem with the itouch????
    Well maybe this is the answer...it wont.....

The iTouch doesn't have wifi capabilities. ;)

ZEN

I have now tried a PS3 and also same result... no connection....
    And today in a local Hotel i tried the iTouch wifi, which connnected in seconds with full internet access.........
    It will be interesting to see what Magnet tell me when i ring them, they have been telling me that there is a problem with my ipod all along and to contact APPLE , so will they tell also to contact Nintendo/sony...

CHAT SOON!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

Wireless base station will work. I've got NTL myself and the device they provide which connects via cable to computer also provides public IP addresses to the PC. So no way to share with multiple computers.

So got a LinkSys base station and later an Apple Airport Extreme for the 802.11N support. The base stations connect to the NTL device via cable and do a single DHCP request to the NTL and get the public IP (The 87.... ones). Then all my wireless devices connect to the base station getting private IPs (the 192.168... ones).

Seems weird that the ipod touch doesn't work for the OP. What kind of wireless access security is in the place, WEP, WPA, WPA2? Has the OP ever had more then one computer on the network? Anyone ever saw it running with a public IP? Might it reject public IPs?

Always good to have your own base station too. As your mates can come over and share stuff over your network etc.

• Advertisement

Thank you for your reply,
    Iam running 2 pcs on the Telsy modem via Ethernet with no issue , I have been on to Magnet today and they tell me there should be no problem connecting to these devices Via Wifi, the only solution they told me was i was entering the Magnet password wrong (which i aint) The Telsey modem is the ONLY modem they supply and they havnt had any tech questions regarding WIFI probs,
    as i siad above i have problems with itouch/wii/ps3 ...then he told e that there was no ISSUE with xbox360.the only unit i aint got.... i have to do a few more tests with passwords on the wii/ps3 , but i think that i will be calling them back....

Advertisement