Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Experience from being self employed

• 03-05-2012 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I have being running my own company for the last 5 years and i look after the sales,deliveries,Invoicing , vat returns etc etc.
    My experience before this was in retail with about 12 years in mgt.
    So i rang an agency and they said my 5 years of running my own company would go against me going back in to mgt again as i have been out of the loop. Anyone have any advice on this matter.
    If i do go for an interview do i have to discuss my figures from my company.
    Thanks for help in advance as making some big decisions over the next few weeks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

tester73 wrote: »
    So i rang an agency and they said my 5 years of running my own company would go against me going back in to mgt again as i have been out of the loop. Anyone have any advice on this matter.
    How many people did/do you manage in the current job?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Unless your 5 years was as a taxi driver the agency are barking mad to say it would go against you! In 12 years you would have learned so much that an extra 5 years wouldn't have made much difference. In a few weeks you will be up to speed and a potential employer will see that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

i Can tell you this for nothing, an agency who says that to you do not know what they are taking about.

Many companies will jump through hopes to get someone who has run a business for five years. they know you will bring very hard work and dedication to the role and will have a knack for spotting the less obvious business case.

if the agency says this, find out who they are recruiting for and apply direct.

the problem with agencies is most of the time the recruiter does not know enough about the job to be recruiting for it, it happens all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Recruiters are sales people and from my experience (working in the recruitment industry) many are excellent at their job but many are also unbelievable bull****ters.

Do not let the advice from one recruiter knock your confidence. I would imagine the vast majority of employers would like to hire someone with your sort of experience.

Advertisement