Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Refurb brake caliper in Cork

• 27-02-2012 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭

got a sticky front brake caliper, last mechanic (indy) said he'd sorted it, but 14k later, it's sticking again intermittently. Main dealers said replacement+ fitting is about 430e, with the part costing 390e, so I'd like to see it's a refurb using new seals etc is possible.

Anyone suggest someone good in Cork city area who I can visit? As it's a pretty important part of the car (ie Stops the car), I'd like to get someone trustworthy not cheapest. Dealer did suggest a refurb, but not sure how much they'd cost.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Can't recommend specific in Cork, but when I needed a replacement caliper for her MX5, I exchanged it for a recon one in a motor factors in Limerick.
    A lot of places should offer that service, they will order a recon unit and part exchange for the old, knackered one.
    You can even pick up the recon, pay full price and get a refund when you bring the old, exchange unit in.
    Since her car was on stands anyway, I did the exchange there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭cadaliac

What type of car is it? How old is it? My mechanic lives around Ballincollig if that's any good to you? I can pm you his details if you wanted to call him and ask for a quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

'tis a 06 Corolla, Cadaliac, please forward on, I'd drop out to him either if he wants to see the part before quoting.

Dr. Fuzz, I need someone to take of the caliper, so I'd rather a one stop shop, from taking to parts guy in a main dealer, not Cork, he suggested that it's pretty simple to do the seal kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

... and get a new mechanic :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

cadaliac wrote: »
    Pm sent
    thanks, it'll be later in week before I get round to calling him :-)
    E39MSport wrote: »
    ... and get a new mechanic :)
    any suggestions? based in Mahon/LittleIsland area

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Sorry, no. North Kildare myself. Someone here will know one.

Advertisement