Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

how to sideload apps onto kindle fire.

• 20-12-2012 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi...I am trying to find a way to sideload apps onto a kindle fire i ordered from amazon uk (got it delivered to a friends uk address)---all the procedures I have found online depend on using a different file manager system (es file explorer) than the stock file explorer on the device--my issue is that I cannot download a different file manager as I cannot get access to the amazon app store in ireland,and I would need this to install the sideloaded apps----am I missing something simple here(which, to be frank, is the most likely scenario) or is there a work around for this available.
    Any help would be greatly apprieciated.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Don't know if it would work or not, but could you not use one of the services that people use to bypass regional blocks (on BBC Iplayer or Netflix etc to fool the Kindle into thinking you are in UK so you can download required app?

Same as you, there is probably a very simple, obvious way around your problem that I have missed too.

Oh, and if you want to know any of the services I mentioned PM me as discussion of bypassing geographical block is not allowed, there are a few with a free trial that you don't need to add CC details too.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

Did you find any solution to this problem lads? Have a friend who bought two and is really pi**ed that they can't download apps for them now..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i have the original US kindle fire and the easiest way i've found to sideload apps was to either download the apk files from the net (just google for "appname apk" to find them) and then just email the apk file to myself and then on the kindle fire open my email and download the attached apk and open it. this way you don't need to mess around with trying to get a fiel maager on there in the first place as the files *should* just appear in your downloads list and the KF should allow you to open them from there.

unless amazon have somehow changed the way that works now?

another similar way is if you have another android based device (i.e. a phone or another tablet) to download an apk manager from the play store and install it, then you can use that to directly email any app on that android device to your email account for downloading and running as above.

fingers crossed it still works that way for you and you don't get any more headaches with it.

if it doesn't work, then the next stop will probably be to use ABD (google it) to get some kind of a file manager installed and you should be good to go from there via the emailing/downloading method.

thankfully the original kindle fire now has plenty of proper android roms out for it now, so i'm currently rocking a nice android jellybean rom which afaik was ported over from the nexus 7. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

I got my daughter a NABI 2 for christmas and have to sideload stuff onto it as there is no google market on it, I emailed the APK for a program called airdroid onto it. Also put airdroid onto my HTC and download stuff to my HTC, then using airdroid save any apps I want to the PC from the HTC, then connect to the NABI using airdroid and install directly from airdroid on the pc to the NABI.
    Saved me a lot of hassle and is easy enough to use.

http://airdroid.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭pcasso

vibe666 wrote: »
    i have the original US kindle fire and the easiest way i've found to sideload apps was to either download the apk files from the net (just google for "appname apk" to find them) and then just email the apk file to myself and then on the kindle fire open my email and download the attached apk and open it. this way you don't need to mess around with trying to get a fiel maager on there in the first place as the files *should* just appear in your downloads list and the KF should allow you to open them from there.

unless amazon have somehow changed the way that works now?

another similar way is if you have another android based device (i.e. a phone or another tablet) to download an apk manager from the play store and install it, then you can use that to directly email any app on that android device to your email account for downloading and running as above.

fingers crossed it still works that way for you and you don't get any more headaches with it.

if it doesn't work, then the next stop will probably be to use ABD (google it) to get some kind of a file manager installed and you should be good to go from there via the emailing/downloading method.

thankfully the original kindle fire now has plenty of proper android roms out for it now, so i'm currently rocking a nice android jellybean rom which afaik was ported over from the nexus 7. :)
    I have tried this but I get a message asking me if I would like to open link with Amazon app store.When I say yes it then says that it not available. When I say no it just stops the downloading process.
    Any advice is appreciated.
    Ta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

yep. :)

looks like it's been rooted and there are a lot of things you can so with it already (i didn't expect it would take very long given the hard work was done already with the 1st gen kindle fire), although there's no custom roms or bootloaders yet, it'll still allow you to turn your kindle fire into a fully functional android tablet which is the main thing until proper 3rd party roms come out and you can go the whole hog. :)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=35536497

expect lots of reading up (i'd read through the whole thread a couple of times to see other people's experiences and mistakes so you understand any caveats before you start) and please make sure you "measure twice, cut once" with anything you do. also, any information provided in the above link is for educational purposes only (blah blah blah) and if you break it as a result of following anything in the link provided i take no responsibility for your actions yadda yadda yadda. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

That's a great link vibe666, cheers! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

had the same problem and spent hours in frustration just to try and get a simple app onto the kindle and luckily enough i hit the jackpot with this Mi File Explorer app:

http://apps.goodereader.com/android-apps/personalization-and-tools/?did=1936

simply open the above link in the web browser on kindle and download the app.

Once it's downloaded, hit the downloaded file icon and install the apk onto the kindle fire. Once you've done that you now have access to all files and folders on the kindle fire through the app. you can now simply download plenty of apps from the page, http://apps.goodereader.com/ onto your pc and transfer the apk files to the download directory on the kindle fire through the usb connection.

the apks will appear underneath the APKs icon in Mi File Explorer and you can now add netflix, Aldiko ( epub book reader) , MX Player ( movie player that plays almost every format and is better than the preinstalled video player) , AccuWeather, Facebook etc.... anything you can download from apps.goodereader.com .

enjoy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

POST REMOVED DUE TO POTENTIAL DODGY LINK. APOLOGIES.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭ongarite

I don't think a website that promotes piracy of paid apps through a pretty website interface deserves to be promoted here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

ongarite wrote: »
    I don't think a website that promotes piracy of paid apps through a pretty website interface deserves to be promoted here.

I posted it with the best intentions. To be honest it didn't even occur to me that it may be pirating apps(if it is), but if it's a problem then I'll remove the post(mods please advise).

Apologies if I've done anything wrong.

EDIT: Ok, having googled it further it certainly looks like it may be a little dubious at best so I've removed the post. Honest mistake. Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Johnny_Dread

Perfect answer bada_bing, did this to my mates Fire last night and it works like a charm.

Good job mate.

bada_bing wrote: »
    had the same problem and spent hours in frustration just to try and get a simple app onto the kindle and luckily enough i hit the jackpot with this Mi File Explorer app:

Once it's downloaded, hit the downloaded file icon and install the apk onto the kindle fire. Once you've done that you now have access to all files and folders on the kindle fire through the app. you can now simply download plenty of apps from the page, http://apps.goodereader.com/ onto your pc and transfer the apk files to the download directory on the kindle fire through the usb connection.

the apks will appear underneath the APKs icon in Mi File Explorer and you can now add netflix, Aldiko ( epub book reader) , MX Player ( movie player that plays almost every format and is better than the preinstalled video player) , AccuWeather, Facebook etc.... anything you can download from apps.goodereader.com .

enjoy!!
    Cheers mate.
    Worked like a charm.
    Some of the apps from the site weren't compatible with the fire but that is no big deal.
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭molly111

Hi Pcasso

Can I ask what apps did not work on the Fire? Am tempted to get one and trying to see what apps I will / wont have.

Thanks
    Mollly

molly111 wrote: »
    Hi Pcasso

Can I ask what apps did not work on the Fire? Am tempted to get one and trying to see what apps I will / wont have.

Thanks
    Mollly
    Off the top of my head Google Chrome and a few weather apps.
    I loaded dolphin browser instead.
    I haven't tried to download too many to be honest and could possibly get the ones that didn't, to load from an alternate app site but I can confirm Angry Birds did load :)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭molly111

ok thanks

Trying to make up mind - would love a tablet but can't afford an ipad so looking at this as an alternative....still undecided

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭thomur

bada_bing wrote: »

enjoy!!

Brilliant stuff mate. Bought a Kindle in the US and trying to download apps for ages. Works like a dream. Thanks again

It is now possible to download apps direct from Amazon for Kindle users in Ireland

pcasso wrote: »
    It is now possible to download apps direct from Amazon for Kindle users in Ireland

Saw the headline at the top allright saying I could now purchase digital content. It still says country settings not supported though

Able to buy apps now from Amazon store

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 jpk1976

Hi all,
    I just talked to amazon customer service this morning and they confirmed that the kindle fire,HD and 8.9" will be availble to order to ireland from June 13th and full access to app store etc will be available then.
    I used the chat option on the website to ask the question....it would be good if someone else could ask the same question to see if there is consistency in their answers.
    JPK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭source

jpk1976 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I just talked to amazon customer service this morning and they confirmed that the kindle fire,HD and 8.9" will be availble to order to ireland from June 13th and full access to app store etc will be available then.
    I used the chat option on the website to ask the question....it would be good if someone else could ask the same question to see if there is consistency in their answers.
    JPK.

I have a kindle fire 2nd gen, it forced through an update about 2 weeks ago and now I have full access to the App Store. So it's available now.

Advertisement