Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massive €750m Docklands development granted Planning

• 07-09-2011 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,055 ✭✭✭✭

The City Council have granted planning permission for a massive development in the Docklands on a site of about 24 acres. This is the description of the development:
    A ten year permission for development at a 9.43 hectare site, consisting of a mixed use development comprising:

- 880 residential units (105,237 sqm approx) (including 11 No. live-work units);
    - 60,952 sqm of office accom;
    - 18,617 sqm of business technology/research accom;
    - 11,880 sqm of retail use;
    - 1,158 sqm of commercial use, as well as a range of trade retail, retail warehousing, conference facilities, licenced bars/restaurants, library, cultural, civic, childcare, healthcare facilities & ancillary uses (242,353 sqm gfa), over 5 No. basements (72,364 sqm) (some of which are inter-connected by tunnel), ranging in depth from 1 No. to 2 No. basement levels, including the demolition of structures on site.
    - The development will also consist of: the provision of a total of 2,960 No. car parking spaces (2,230 No. car parking spaces in basement car parks 1A, 1B, 2, 3, 4 & 5; 710 No. car parking spaces in Block K2; & 20 No. surface car parking spaces); 313 No. motorcycle parking spaces;& 1,690 No. cycle spaces;
    - private, semi-private & public open spaces in the form of balconies, courtyards, roof terraces, allotments, roof-top gardens, a portion of the Riverside Walkway, a public plaza (Central Square) & a park (Community Gardens);
    - the provision of external circulation areas; an outdoor amphitheatre adjacent to Block O, external corridors; covered & open pedestrian streets; footpaths & roads; all hard & soft landscaping including boundary treatments;

Marina_Commercial.jpg

Business-and-Technology-Image-2.jpg

District-Centre-2.jpg

There are two big pre-conditions though before any development can commence:
    1. The Eastern Gateway Bridge must be built first, and,
    2. The market must have improved sufficiently for this amount of property to come on stream.

Neither of these things are likely to happen for the foreseeable future. The Bridge in particular has been knocked back repeatedly by central government in Dublin who have refused to allocate funding towards it's construction c.€80m, for the last number of years. If this was Dublin, I doubt these delays would happen.

Now if only we had a Government Ministers sitting at Cabinet for the last 15 years from Cork city who could champion Cork's needs..........:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Basement levels next to the river , great idea that worked excellent the last few years.
    How long is planning permisson before it expires that could be interesting ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,055 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Basement levels next to the river , great idea that worked excellent the last few years.
    How long is planning permisson before it expires that could be interesting ?

10 years. The way things are it will probably run out before anything happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Does anyone know if the Cork Bonded Warehouse (http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/mapsimages/corkphotographs/michaelolearyphotos/bondedwarehouses/) is included in this? This is located just down further from The Boardwalk and is a particularly favourite piece of land for me. It has water on both side and I think with a bit of careful planning could like like Faneuil hall or Quincy Markets in Boston...would be a lot nicer than a hotel.
    Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

For some reason Ive always loved the bonded warehouse building, would be great to see it restored

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Loire wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the Cork Bonded Warehouse (http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/mapsimages/corkphotographs/michaelolearyphotos/bondedwarehouses/) is included in this?

I doubt it - earlier this year the Port of Cork submitted an application for planning permission including the the demolition of the bonded warehouses as they have become unsound due to the structural failure of the quay wall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Is this connected to the IFSC South I've read about before?

Cork has thousands employed in financial services so a good area to try to expand on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,055 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Loire wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the Cork Bonded Warehouse (http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/mapsimages/corkphotographs/michaelolearyphotos/bondedwarehouses/) is included in this? This is located just down further from The Boardwalk and is a particularly favourite piece of land for me. It has water on both side and I think with a bit of careful planning could like like Faneuil hall or Quincy Markets in Boston...would be a lot nicer than a hotel.
    Loire.

No this site is unrelated to the Bonded Warehouse.
    evilivor wrote: »
    I doubt it - earlier this year the Port of Cork submitted an application for planning permission including the the demolition of the bonded warehouses as they have become unsound due to the structural failure of the quay wall.

Just for clarity in case anyone thinks they are applying to bulldoze the bonded warehouses, that application is for the demolition of the yellow buildings adjoining the actual bonded warehouses. They were added afterwards to the original building. Getting rid of the would allow pedestrian access all around the original buildings.

p495533479-3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Just for clarity in case anyone thinks they are applying to bulldoze the bonded warehouses, that application is for the demolition of the yellow buildings adjoining the actual bonded warehouses. They were added afterwards to the original building. Getting rid of the would allow pedestrian access all around the original buildings.

p495533479-3.jpg

Indeed. I missed the word "Bonded Warehouses South Custom House Quay" on the news report. Apols.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭BarneyMagee

I think the Port of Cork are being smart here. They are lining their ducks in a row for their planned move to Ringaskiddy.
    As well as demolishing the yellow buildings they are also strengthening the quay walls and extending them into the river by reclaiming some of the land.
    At some point far in the future the bonded warehouses can be restored and it could become a retail area with public space etc. I think it would look great.

The 24-acre site where the Marina commercial Park is now should also look good in the future but I would say even ten years is being optimistic. If the bridge was approved today you wouldn't see cars on it until about 2016/2017.

Fine Gael did put the docklands in their election manifesto but we'll see if they follow through on it.

p495533479-3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭mountain

p495533479-3.jpg

nice photo!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Great news. That will keep me in work when it starts..:)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

If that's ever built the creches, library, cultural facilities and allotments will magically disappear.

Remember the way O'Callaghan dropped the hotel and conference centre which were used to prop up the Mahon Point application.

Advertisement