Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Boxing Clubs

• 15-02-2010 2:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭

Anyone know a Gym or club that does boxing training for fitness etc...don't want to go serious into it, just like to train using boxing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭scully74

mairtin888 wrote: »

Does she have her own place(Gym) to train or does she come to yours

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭scully74

i actually want to box a bit not jump around doin the moves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

i think its pete foley that i read about in advertiser two weeks ago, has his own place, does boxing and kickboxing if im correct.

he was in the paper for people enroling in the white collar boxing. Im sure you could train and not have to be part of that competition

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

scully74 wrote: »
    i actually want to box a bit not jump around doin the moves

www.resultsireland.com

Adrian or Ronan will help you out no problem and will give you a bit of variety

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭jambi

As mentioned by quietobserver, Galway Black Dragon

http://www.blackdragon.ie/

Beginners Course commences on Tuesday March 2nd

Galway Black Dragon,
    Unit 7, Glenrock Business Park,
    Ballybane Industrial Estate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

jambi wrote: »
    As mentioned by quietobserver, Galway Black Dragon

http://www.blackdragon.ie/

Beginners Course commences on Tuesday March 2nd

Galway Black Dragon,
    Unit 7, Glenrock Business Park,
    Ballybane Industrial Estate

I think they may have moved from what I can see on the site or do they have the 2 places on the go now?
    Dec 30, 2009
    NEW SUPERGYM
    NEW MARTIAL ARTS SUPERGYM FOR GALWAY
    Category: General
    Posted by: Pete
    The new gym, which is situated on the Tuam Road (just turn in at the Trappers Inn Pub and Expert Electrical and we're over the former Arramount Furniture Store) will open on Tuesday 5th January, 2010 @ 8pm for intermediate and advanced Adults and wednesday 6th January for Juniors @ 7pm and we would like to see as many people back as possible for the opening nights

did the beginners course there before christmas. was very good. got lazy over xmas tho and haven't gone back since but i do plan to...soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭black dragon

New White Collar Boxing Programme starts on Tuesday September 21 - anyone interested call Pete [PM me for number].

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Heys guys,just wondering can anyone recommend some boxing clubs in galway city?
    Thinking I might give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

To the best of my knowledge all of the boxing clubs in the city work out of the Westside club ie Galway Boxing Club, Olympic Boxing Club and NUIG Boxing Club. Its the yellow building next to the Westside Community Centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Lockstep

OLympic BOxing and Galway Boxing Club both run out of the yellow building in Westside, opposite Topaz.

Both of them are excellent. Also a Muay Thai club runs outta the same building.

Right thanks,so just a case of tippin in there and getting the information.
    Anyone know there opening times and how much membership would be for the year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Right thanks,so just a case of tippin in there and getting the information.
    Anyone know there opening times and how much membership would be for the year?

The training times of all clubs are painted on the outside of the building. The information is visible if you're driving on the main road.

I know one of the (think it's Olympic) are trainng today between 4 and 8.

I can't remember the prices exactly, but when I was at the Galway Boxing Club, it was something like €50 a year for the training, and then you put €1 in the pot every time you used the club (paid for the cleaning after hours)

Might have changed since I was last there, but GBC trained Tuesdays and Thursday evenings. I think it was 7-9 or 6-8 or something.
    OBC was Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Thats pretty reasonable pricing alright,guess I'll tip down and find out some info,probably post back in a week or so

Thats pretty reasonable pricing alright,guess I'll tip down and find out some info,probably post back in a week or so

The one in Westside is full of travellers, i wouldn't go around it personally.

There's another one out in Furbo.... with normal folk, E2 a night, you'd need a car though.

There's another one out in Furbo.... with normal folk, E2 a night, you'd need a car though.

Even the coaches?? anyway I don't have a car so that limits my options

Even the coaches?? anyway I don't have a car so that limits my options

Ya basically(there could be a few in both trainers/trainees that are ''buffers too'' but wouldn't be many)it's two gyms in one complex, the old ''hillside'' one(i think they trained in a container or something up there back in the day) and the westside one, which just from being city located had all the ones from the locality.

I'd have never considered going in there personally. Could cycle to Furbo :pac:, one lad used to cycle from the east side of the city out there(crazy)

Maybe I should try http://www.galwaythaiboxing.com/
    at least they have a website

A lot of them are but the club is grand. Like most boxing clubs, they've very strict rules on things like bullying. I was there for 2 years and never saw/had any trouble.

Coaches are legends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,593 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There is (was???) a building in Liosbán Industrial Estate that has a sign on it saying
    • St Michael's Boxing Academy
    • Tribes Boxing Academy
    Pretty sure I remember some publicity last year when they found that as a replacement to the containers that were being used.

Don't know any more than that ... but I find it hard to believe that there's no boxing training on the east side of the city and that lads from the east go to Westside to train.

Which club were you with kickoutthe jams if you don't mind me asking,olympic or galway boxing club?
    JustMary wrote: »

Don't know any more than that ... but I find it hard to believe that there's no boxing training on the east side of the city and that lads from the east go to Westside to train.

Ya I know over near gmit is where I'm based but I don't mind making the trip if its worth it though

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Amik

Hi!

I'm new to Galway and have a crazy idea to get myself in shape doing something you Irish are famous for - boxing! Does anyone have any experience with a club in town? Is it possible to just train as a boxer and not actually fight? :)

Amik

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭iii Stevo iii

In the city centre/suburbs theres the boxing club in westside, 3 clubs use it, Galway - Southpaw and Olympic.
    Then there's the NUIG Boxing club which train in dangan. If your a student or past student of NUI I'd advice going to the NUIG one, there's no obligation to fight and a lot of people use it for fitness and technique.
    The westside clubs are somewhat more serious and like there members to fight for the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Amik,
    There's one beside my work place (liosban business park) on the tuam road.

I'm don't know anything about it but like you i've often thought of joining for the fitness and craic.

might be worth a look in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I think I'm going to try the White Collar boxing.
    gave him a quick call and it sounds good-
    9 weeks ( I think) of intensive training.
    3 rounds of 3 minutes boxing at the end on a Fight Night. you don't have to do this if you don't want to. But I'd imagine it gives you something to aim for....
    starting Tues week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Any contact details for white collar boxing in Galway would be appreciated.

Need some toughening up!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Any contact details for white collar boxing in Galway would be appreciated.

Need some toughening up!

www.blackdragon.ie

Advertisement