Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac Donagh Station Shopping Centre

• 27-11-2007 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

Right now that its open what do you think? I was ther eon Saturday. The palce was empty and I was there at 3.30. Very surprised. Not many shops open and another Dunnes? How many Dunnes can you fit into KK? TBH I wasnt very impressed witht he place at all. Id say Dunnes put the pressure on to be open befor exmas even if the place is empty. It should be good however when all the units are up and running.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

fitzyshea wrote: »
    Right now that its open what do you think? I was ther eon Saturday. The palce was empty and I was there at 3.30. Very surprised. Not many shops open and another Dunnes? How many Dunnes can you fit into KK? TBH I wasnt very impressed witht he place at all. Id say Dunnes put the pressure on to be open befor exmas even if the place is empty. It should be good however when all the units are up and running.

It's a very fine building but way too many "opening soon" signs everywhere. Will be good when it's full I reckon.
    But the food court is dissapointing. I mean all crappy coffee places and bagel rubbish. How about a real restaurant or even a nice tastey Burger King!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Agreed. I'll reserve judgement til the place is fully opened. I'd still rather have a Tesco though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 wellboy1976

Have one of ours, getting a 4th in Tramore now! Too many

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ah Wellboy dont say that! Super Value have us ripped off, Lidl is a different marker. So we have competition betweeen three now. Nice prices hopefully! Anyway, thats for a different topic.

Back onto topic.. always wondered why they opened centers early, with big adverts etc. and we go in to find a handful of shops open. All the buildup for nothing :\

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Have one of ours, getting a 4th in Tramore now! Too many

Since you don't post anything helpful why bother posting in the Kilkenny?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭just-wonderin

it will be an asset to kk when its finally opened fully, but right now there is a total lack of cash points, places to sit, bins, and the place could do with a few plants or tree's, the old work house square is good but if you dont drink coffee your fecked, needs a nice restraunt where ya can have your lunch or dinner,, just my thought's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭just-wonderin

anyone know when espirt or tom tailor will open in kilkenny,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Does anyone know whe the rest of the shops will be open? The 3 store looks like it should be open but it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

the next time your in workhouse square look up, all that glass roofing is going to be replaced. Why? I hear you ask if you look at the panels you'll see a 2" line running through them. When they were putting on the UV Filter they overlapped it in the factory and the owners don't like it. So as each panel has a unique bend in it. It all has to be remade & replaced, this is going to happen next year sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I was in to Virgin/Zavvi/whatever there on Sunday. Fine shop. Their range of stuff and prices seems to beat the hell out of the existing competition in Kilkenny.

They nearly tempted me with Guitar Hero 3 for the xbox 360 for €99 with the wireless guitar ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Made it up there myself this morning for the first time, mainly to see Virgin. Nice place on the inside and I like the idea of that square with the glass roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Actually I found it all a little disorintating. I was working for one of the sub-contractor up there so I remember seeing it differently

• Registered Users Posts: 49 oriain

yeah, I was in there on Saturday to check out Virgin, it was buzzing (no surprise there) but the rest of the centre was pretty dead. and in the run up to Christmas that's a bad sign. Ended up buying the sopranos box-set....

Anywho, I prefer shopping on High Street. Much better!

When i was there on Sunday the place was pretty busy. People all over the concourse area and shops like Next and Virgin looked fairly crammed.

Has anyone tried having something to eat in that workhouse square? I know it's winter time but it's kinda chilly in there. I wouldn't fancy sitting down and having a hot drink in there - I could see it going cold very quickly.

Virgin/Zavvi is the one shop I could see myself visiting a lot. I like the ones in Dublin so it's so nice to be able to go into one locally :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Apparently Dunnes Stores in McDonagh have let go 11 staff, as business is slower than expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭cargo

What's the lineup like in there now? Did many shops get to open yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

A few more shops have opened including Virgin, Next, Gloria Jeans. Still its not enough to warrant the walk up there from town.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Nightwish wrote: »
    A few more shops have opened including Virgin, Next, Gloria Jeans. Still its not enough to warrant the walk up there from town.

is that not everything? how many more shops have still to open? other then the book store which i havent seen any signs for

There's a few more poxy clothes shops that I have no interest in still to open.
    Tom Tailor, Esprit etc. That bookshop is supposed to be going in beside one of the cafes in the courtyard part.

More importantly, does anybody know what's the status of the bowling alley that's listed in the shopping centre map?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭cargo

What's the website for the place? Google search seems to miss it. I know it's something like the name but all the variations I try fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

cargo wrote: »
    What's the website for the place? Google search seems to miss it. I know it's something like the name but all the variations I try fail.

LINK

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Nightwish wrote: »
    Apparently Dunnes Stores in McDonagh have let go 11 staff, as business is slower than expected.

Not that surprised by that. It brings little new to KK and isn't an exceptional store by any means. They give you "an hour free parking" when you spend a tenner; they give back a euro whereas the carpark is 1.50 an hour :confused:! Superquinn in the heart of town give you 2 free hours (fully free) when you spend the same. Far better deal.

Also the "food court" is rubbish in myopinon; how many poncy cafes does one shopping centre need!!? Find the lack of a proper restaurant dissapointing.

You'd want to have a hardy constitution to eat in the food court in this weather. It's feckin' freezing!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

In there myself yesterday for the first time. Really nice building I must say, but it was quite empty, both of people and shops... but then again that's maybe because everyone's spent their paycheques after Christmas!

There wasn't all that much that I'd specifically go there for, except for Virgin, always an excellent shop! I find TK Maxx is only any good if you're passing by there every day and run in to see what they have. The odd time you'll find a fantastic shirt of pair of jeans for nothing.

Esprit hasn't opened yet... maybe they'll have a men's section like in Dundrum, though not all the Esprit shops do. That Tom Tailor place is a menswear shop, right?, but it's got all those naked male mannequins in the window. That might attract women in, but it would put me off, to be honest!

Costa Coffee and the bagel place are really nice, but that square is too damn cold for sitting out in during winter! Even a few pub patio heaters would help!

And Dunnes... ffs... it's a good shop, but is it the only big shop they're allowed to build in KK? Why didn't they go after Debenhams, M&S or something like that? Even a Tesco would have given the good people of KK some sort of choice :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

fricatus wrote: »
    And Dunnes... ffs... it's a good shop, but is it the only big shop they're allowed to build in KK? Why didn't they go after Debenhams, M&S or something like that? Even a Tesco would have given the good people of KK some sort of choice :mad:

yeah id really liked to have seen M&S go in there, something different at least! there aren't too many M&S stores in Ireland, whereas it seems Tesco is everywhere (except Kilkenny, of course)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Isn't Debenhems and M&S supposed to go into CitiMart where the barracks amd Cattle Mart is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Da Bomber

Whats with the big courtyard am i the only person who thinks it looks completely retarded?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

I think it's functional but badly implemented.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

wandered in today and there a good few people but it was mainly big groups of young ones spending hours drinking one smoothie and taking up all the center seats [all two of them]

The people eating out in the court yard all had big thick coats on so I didn't even venture out there.

I thought I'd use the center more as its just down the road from me but I don't like dunnes - their own brand stuff is blah. I'd rather drive to tesscos in carlow. Eurospar doesn't seem any less busy as a result of the macdonagh opening.

Advertisement