Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diving reels...

• 29-02-2012 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭

Ok folks, it looks like its time I got myself a dive reel.
    I would be interested to hear what people are using, or more importantly what you recommend and what you think is rubbish?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

I use a plain ordinary Beaver reel, like this one -

http://catalog.beaversports.co.uk/product.php?pn=Puffin_Mini_Wreck-Line_Reel&pid=361

I've carefully drilled a couple of holes in it, and added two bungees, so that my rolled up DSMB can be safely stored at the 'back' of the reel til needed. I usually clip it to a D ring near my right butt cheek, so the whole lot hangs safely out of the way near my hip as I dive.

If all you want your reel for is for your DSMB, then I can recommend this setup.
    If you're into wreck penetration or cave diving, you'll need something a bit more advanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Thanks for the reply. One of the instructors in the club recommended I stay away from Beaver etc. If I bought one of the cheaper or plastic reels I'd end up replacing it after a few months as they don't last, and tend to bird-nest too easily, he reckoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

longshanks wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. One of the instructors in the club recommended I stay away from Beaver etc. If I bought one of the cheaper or plastic reels I'd end up replacing it after a few months as they don't last, and tend to bird-nest too easily, he reckoned.

Bull****. I've had mine for years. It's done hundreds of dives and has travelled the world with me.
    Any reel can get tangled (hadn't heard it called 'birds-nesting' before, but I presume that's what you mean - nice descriptive term) if it's overloaded with line. If your reel comes loaded up right to the edge with line, strip off some of it so that there's about half a centimetre of reel outside the line, and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

Now, now boys! Be nice!!

This link may have you either totally confused with choice, or enable you to make that important decision in your dive life:

http://www.divernet.com/Diving_Gear/group_tests/624013/the_reel_test.html

If this fails to satisfy you, go get yourself a Custom Divers reel, which seems to have somehow missed inclusion. Small enough, strong enough, light enough, and gets the job done time after time again.

Adios

Seadeuce

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Bull****. I've had mine for years. It's done hundreds of dives and has travelled the world with me.
    Any reel can get tangled (hadn't heard it called 'birds-nesting' before, but I presume that's what you mean - nice descriptive term) if it's overloaded with line. If your reel comes loaded up right to the edge with line, strip off some of it so that there's about half a centimetre of reel outside the line, and you'll be fine.

Hey, thanks for replying again, wasn't trying to cause offence, just letting you know what I had been told.
    Also, I reckon the bird nesting thing comes from the fishing world, as myself and anyone who fishes a multiplier reel could tell ya
    seadeuce wrote: »
    Now, now boys! Be nice!!

This link may have you either totally confused with choice, or enable you to make that important decision in your dive life:

http://www.divernet.com/Diving_Gear/group_tests/624013/the_reel_test.html

If this fails to satisfy you, go get yourself a Custom Divers reel, which seems to have somehow missed inclusion. Small enough, strong enough, light enough, and gets the job done time after time again.

Adios

Seadeuce

Yeah, I saw that. Also, this, which more or less adds to the confusion. Do you use a custom diver reel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

Yes, the Pocket Reel in that link you posted.

Best of the three I've used

Seadeuce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭denismc

I have had a number of reels over the years and here is what I think.
    The ratchet type reels like the beaver are fine for smb deployment if you are on a budget. They are mostly made of plastic and can break if you throw them about and are hard on gear like me. I had a custom divers reel that i managed to crack, i also found the ratchet mechanism a bit twidley.
    I now have a Kent tooling reel made of stainless and its the best i have had but they are expensive.
    The most important thing with a reel if you have't used one before is to get someone to show you how to use it and practice a lot! I have seen people get dragged up by their smb because it was still attached to them or because they got entangled in the line:eek: .
    What the other poster said about having too much line on the spool is also important, many manufacturers sell reels with too much line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I use a 70m Custom Divers Ratchet Reel. Very solid piece of equipment, I'm expecting it to last me a long time.

kol2_cust70.jpg

Advertisement