Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipping the takeaway delivery guy

• 26-02-2012 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Does anyone tip the guys who deliver your takeaways? I always give them a quid but I'm beginning to wonder if this is even expected.

If you do tip, how much do you give?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Just the lady with large breasts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

Yeah I usually give them a euro or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ThinkAboutIt

I give them a €50, but only because I'm loaded like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

Rarely. All of the takeaways here charge for delivery (usually €2-€4) so I don't see why I should pay them extra when i'm paying them to delivery my food and waiting around 40-60 minutes for it arrive barely warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Holy Warlord

No. Tipping is an americanism we would better do without.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

As big ian would say:

NEVER
    NEVER
    NEVER

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭catthinkin

I tip if they are nice freindly on time i.e good at what they do if they are late have earphones on attitude i dont .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

about 3 fid...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

catthinkin wrote: »
    I tip if they are nice freindly on time i.e good at what they do if they are late have earphones on attitude i dont .

what if they are nice but late?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

dee. wrote: »
    Rarely. All of the takeaways here charge for delivery (usually €2-€4) so I don't see why I should pay them extra when i'm paying them to delivery my food and waiting around 40-60 minutes for it arrive barely warm.

yes but I'd say many of them don't actually get the tips. Service charge in restaurants does not always go back to the waiting staff. One of the cafes in Blackrock Co. Dublin has a bowl on the counter for change/tips and the poor staff don't get it.

We tip, it just seems darn mean not to. Don't think any of the delivery guys are jetting off to the Bahamas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

not usually because of the delivery charge.
    but if it arrived unusually early then maybe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Generally I don't but a few times last year delivery guys actually managed to get to my place despite ice on the roads and dangerous condition generally.
    So at times of extremes and they still come out and try to do their jobs, I do tend to tip them something for their perseverance alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

waiting around 40-60 minutes for it arrive barely warm.

What?? ((:eek:))

After waiting 40mins I'd be psychotic !

• Registered Users Posts: 25,992 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I usually give a euro or two as well.

I find it a little strange that people don't feel the need to because there is a delivery charge for delivery.

As mentioned, I'd have serious doubts they get all of this. I am sure someone has to pay for fuel.

Its a tough one. I only ever consider tipping when it involves someone bringing me food.

Chinasea wrote: »
    yes but I'd say many of them don't actually get the tips. Service charge in restaurants does not always go back to the waiting staff. One of the cafes in Blackrock Co. Dublin has a bowl on the counter for change/tips and the poor staff don't get it.

We tip, it just seems darn mean not to. Don't think any of the delivery guys are jetting off to the Bahamas.

Well thats not really my problem. I'm paying a charge to the restaurant to deliver my food, and I assume they are paying the delivery guy to do so, i'm not going to tip extra. Its completely different than dining in a restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I give €2, more if it's a big order. These guys earn crap money, a lot would be on the €400 a month basis here.

squod wrote: »
    What?? ((:eek:))

After waiting 40mins I'd be psychotic !

Yeah, I feel that way! I just moved here and it seems to be 40 minutes minimum, even though my house is about a one minute drive outside of the middle of town. In the old place I lived, delivery usually only took 10-15 minutes.

Last time we ordered a chinese it took an hour for him to arrive, then he knocked at our door saying he had actually delivered our food to a neighbours house so they had to go back to the restaurant and collect our order again! Took almost an hour and a half altogether. He didn't even say sorry and seemed p1ssed he didn't get a tip. They gave the neighbours TWO free meals (ours and their own order) and we had to pay for ours (fair enough, we planned to when we ordered it) and wait and hour and a half. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,092 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Didn't tip a delivery man before, he took the doorbell. Luckily it was my mates house.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Hayte

Between 10% and 20% and usually factored in as part of the price of getting a takeaway. So if I'm broke, I just don't get takeaways at all, rather than not tip. At this point its tradition almost, like noodler said.

I figure its a nice thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭alandublin33

one or two yoyo , but I think some delivery people look at you like they expect a tip , or root around in there pockets for a euro or 2 change just so you'll say keep it , i dont like them ones so if I see them again they get sfa!

• Advertisement

I actually sometimes worry if they spit in my food or throw a snot in because they see the address and think "oh this one again..she never tips!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I actually sometimes worry if they spit in my food or throw a snot in because they see the address and think "oh this one again..she never tips!"

This. Unless you plan never to use the take away again, always tip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

one or two yoyo , but I think some delivery people look at you like they expect a tip , or root around in there pockets for a euro or 2 change just so you'll say keep it , i dont like them ones so if I see them again they get sfa!

Encountered that a couple of times too. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Delivery charges are for fuel costs so the delivery guy wouldn't see a cent of it. I would give a tip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I rarely order delivery, but when I do its like a €10 pizza and chips thats delivered less than 2 miles. I dont want to tip for something so small after it took them 35 minutes to deliver it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

Keep a euro up your bum and it's even-steven

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    Does anyone tip the guys who deliver your takeaways? I always give them a quid but I'm beginning to wonder if this is even expected.

If you do tip, how much do you give?

I don't, what have they done to earn it, basically their job and nothing else!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Well thats not really my problem. I'm paying a charge to the restaurant to deliver my food, and I assume they are paying the delivery guy to do so, i'm not going to tip extra. Its completely different than dining in a restaurant.

That's a bit hardline. Of course nobody can force you to tip but would you fancy driving around delivering dinner to Tom, Dick and Harry in the hail rain and snow for a minium wage.

Chinasea wrote: »
    That's a bit hardline. Of course nobody can force you to tip but would you fancy driving around delivering dinner to Tom, Dick and Harry in the hail rain and snow for a minium wage.

If the weather was that bad and he made it through a snowstorm to deliver my dinner, I would be happy to tip. But I live about a minutes drive outside of town, and the weather hasn't been that bad here, aside from the odd shower of rain. So I am not going to tip him for taking close to an hour to deliver my food, which always arrives almost cold.

If the service was great, they would be tipped but it never has been. Why should I tip if I feel they don't deserve it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

I never tip because I never get a takeaway delivered. I always go into the takeaway to get my food. The food always arrives lukewarm when you get it delivered. I would tip the person though. About 2 or 3 euros is a nice amount.

Advertisement