Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats going on with Mid West Radio??

• 28-07-2011 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭

Hi,

Is Mid West Radio part oweded by the church??, We have the damned radio station on in work (not by choice!!) and it is noticable the amount of Christian Bull**** country music they have begun to play. Are they scraping the very very bottom of a rapidly disappearing barrell?? No wonder they are losing listenership. I met one Business owner the other day who stopped Advertising with them due to the adverse feedback from young people....sign of the times maybe?? Are Mid West losing touch?? I102 is the way to go methinks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Always been full of crap. Only listen to it for the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Neworder79

Reporting they are the no. 2 radio station in the country by listenership today, so don't expect them to cop on any time soon.

http://www.midwestradio.ie/mwr/news/3851-listenership-figures-rise-at-midwest-radio-making-it-the-second-most-popular-station-in-the-country.html

News, sport, farming, event promotion, local coverage - excellent, top cass.

But the rest is most bland of auto play keyboard country music... making listeners sit through death notices before news bulletins several times a day, and constant religious notices and undue reverence to the church in every aspect of coverage is appalling IMO.

They could easily cater for the rural elderly market and still still acknowledge the younger urban demographic in the region by just tweaking the content of the schedule at certain times, but they seem to think it some idealised 1950 Westh they cater to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭hiram

I Agree, Its plain to see that they have lost track of whats going on outside their Country and Irish bubble. Have they not figured out that they have marketed themselves into a corner...an over 50's corner. Business who want to target a young, dynamic and energetic corner will not advertise on a radio station which targets the wrong demographic...simple rules. We have started to advertise on I-102, which is already paying dividens

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭captainwang

At least Padraig Walsh brightens up the station, that guy really appeals to the youngsters I know some local teens and young adults that never miss the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

TURFM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Kate.G

I don't agree, I love mid-west. Dave Cawley in the morning is great and has a sexy voice :D Ok, I'm not much into the mid-morning show or Tommy Marren show, however, a lot of people like it. Padraic Walsh in the afternoon is pure genius. I do enjoy MWR

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭mayobumblebee

wouldnt listen to 102 if ya paid me i would listen to anything elce or channel hop while death notices is on hate that but i radio is just as painful trying so hard to be with it that they just annoy

and that f@ckin nome grrr

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Eddie Ere

Both iRadio and MidWest are exceedingly painful to sit and listen too, the former having a ridiculous level of religious BS and mind numbingly stupid callers into shows whilst the latter is attempting to appeal to a youthful audience but failing miserably with woeful tween pop and culchie humour.

I'll stick to the iPod thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Midwest is good for news and sport only.

The crowd on i102 are very hard listen too - full of crap

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Eddie Ere wrote: »
    Both iRadio and MidWest are exceedingly painful to sit and listen too, the former having a ridiculous level of religious BS and mind numbingly stupid callers into shows whilst the latter is attempting to appeal to a youthful audience but failing miserably with woeful tween pop and culchie humour.

I'll stick to the iPod thanks.

While you are listening to it, check your post again. Your "former" and "latter" are mixed up, I think:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Re RMW

I like the death notices - handy to know who hAS died without having to buy a daily paper - and many Mayo deaths are not in the dailies

Like the news- 9.45 a.m. is well timed not to clash with RE at 9 pm.

C & W music fine with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

i like the hits in the evening and a little bit of country

couldn't listen to much else or that clown claffey talking shiite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

Doesn't Paul Claffey own MidWest Radio?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,198 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I believe he is a major shareholder anyway.
    Its awful crap though.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭SJPK

would anyone by any chance know the name of the theme tune to paul claffeys show, sounds a bit like glen millers - in the mood!, well..... same instrumentation anywho!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Samhain

Supposedly 60% of Adults in the region listen to this tripe - The following is from the MWR website
    Midwest Radio is the second most listened to local radio station in the country, as the latest JNLR national radio listenership figures are published.
    61 percent of adults, aged over 15, listen to the station daily.
    While the station’s market share remains close to the top of competitive league table at 51 .1 percent.

http://www.midwestradio.ie/mwr/news/8419-61-percent-of-adults-in-the-region-listen-to-midwest-radio-according-to-latest-jlnr-results.html

This figure of 61% seems very high.....How do JNLR gather this information?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Do they not have any other person other than Brendan Redmond to voice the ads? It used to be that you knew you were in the west when you hit a pothole but now I know for certain I'm home when I hear golden-voiced Brendan talking up Albany's new paint range or whatever else they're flogging this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭StudentDad

MWR - Bloody awful radio. I get tortured with it on a daily basis at work. I don't want to hear the obituaries, I don't want to to hear really really bad country and western music. After a while you begin to notice that the playlist never changes! The same crap, played over and over again.

SD

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

But a big proportion of the catchment population like it

• Registered Users Posts: 19 horndog80

Well i suppose repetition is comforting to some people in terms of music, such as irish traditional music etc.. I dont particularly like the music on any of the other radio stations either, personally i like metal. I think the local news is of interest to the listeners as well. Only flaw about this station is the section in the morning where people ring in with problems, that presenter fuels the fire for the people that call in without him having proper knowledge. Apart from that it seems to hit a large radio listening audience(as background noise I'd imagine).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭StudentDad

horndog80 wrote: »
    Apart from that it seems to hit a large radio listening audience(as background noise I'd imagine).

I think that's the main problem with most of the radio broadcasts in Ireland if not all of them - background noise! The DJ's etc can't even broadast what they want. It's all scripted redundant nonsense.

SD

• Registered Users Posts: 39 eyeinthesky

What a way to insult peoples intellegence by publishing the last JNLR figures. How are the figures arrived at mystifies me because as some one living in the middle of the broadcast area that is not what i hear, maybe i am listening to another Midwest. A station that is always chopping and changing presenters for daily shows with sports running the news department, and weekly current affairs getting 2 30min slots on Sat/Sun from news that has already been beaten to death during the week i find very hard to accept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭hiram

nuac wrote: »
    But a big proportion of the catchment population like it

Youre having a laugh are you?? The over 50's Mass going Farming Community does not constitute " a big proportion of the catchment population", now does it!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭davenachill

SJPK wrote: »
    would anyone by any chance know the name of the theme tune to paul claffeys show, sounds a bit like glen millers - in the mood!, well..... same instrumentation anywho!

Yes! Does anyone know this song or know where you could rip it from a old show from the website?

Would love to play it at a houseparty for the criac :D

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

Yes! Does anyone know this song or know where you could rip it from a old show from the website?

Would love to play it at a houseparty for the criac :D

It's not the exact same version but it's close enough.
    Zambesi is the name of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

clicks into place immediately
    -Zambezi
    Awful bloody tune

• Registered Users Posts: 39 eyeinthesky

What a shambles of a radio station. I think yesterday really showed what it really thinks of its listeners. Out of 8 presenters of regular daily shows 4 were absent. I will agree people have to take holidays and people get sick but the rostering is a joke. Only for the sports department which keeps the news department running and then has to do some of the regular daily shows as well as outside broadcasts makes me wonder how the station is run.
    As a listener from its pirate days there is no comparison, the listeners knew the presenters and when they were on air. We were told when the licence was granted the station would be a better in various ways but i am afraid progress to me does not show improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Do they not have any other person other than Brendan Redmond to voice the ads? It used to be that you knew you were in the west when you hit a pothole but now I know for certain I'm home when I hear golden-voiced Brendan talking up Albany's new paint range or whatever else they're flogging this week.

Brendan Redmond left Mid West Radio (and Ireland) around 5 years ago!! He definitely isn't doing ad's...

There are a lot worse local stations out there than Mid West (Shannonside, Ocean FM & Galway Bay FM)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement