Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farmers what your car ?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

JohnBoy wrote: »
    Those of you with the real high milers, what's your policy, do you buy new/nearly new and run for years and years, or are you changing relatively often and just buying highish miles to begin with.

Me? I like to change relatively often, tend to buy stuff around 10 years old and 100k or so.

A mate's parents are on their third car in thirty years (and they only have this one three or four years) they buy new, service well and change when the repairs get too big.

Their last car was a two hundred and something thousand mile vento which was scrapped cos it needed a gearbox. The jeep is a 98 trooper with around a quarter of a million on the clock too. it's amazing what some mechanical sympathy and good servicing can get you.

just looking back over years the we started with 1 car and 1 tractor.. to day the 'family' set up consists 3 tractors 2 jeeps 3 cars 2 vans

we mostly buy fairly high mileage vehicles about 3 to 5 years old , we find motor vehicles depreciate most in the first 5 years

we are strict about servicing and maintance, and they are not not spared especially the patrol , .. son has it gone with lambs this morning , I am taking cows to the factory to night and son is back in the driver's seat with more lambs to morrow morn ... it will clock over 500 miles in 36 hours with box.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

04 Merc C200k with tiptronic bought from new in the "good days";).
    Pity it's petrol, but does 30mpg and pulls a trailer really well.
    200kms on clock.
    Only bug-bear is tracking. It goes off regularly and can scrub off the tyres if I don't keep a good eye on it.
    Boot lined with plastic, so I throw everything into it. Takes 9x 25kg bags of nuts:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

bought a 99 grand vitara for1000yoyos in feb and got 300 for the old one that had "a bit of a tip"120k on the clock and going grand.great bus for the land but would not be able for a 5 cow box. herself has 307 which can take 7 seats

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

doing a bit of a tot on the way home this evening with animals and two of us who are full time on the farm are doing 3500hrs (rough figures but 100k km and 1500hrs min on tractors) between us of driving time each year be that in the car,jeep or tractor just for the farm. Im spending 33.5hrs a week on average in the driving seat:eek:

Advertisement