Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Fair play to the hurlers...

Alot of hard work put in and the team deserve all credit

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Sad to see Kildare dropping down. With a decent underage crop it should not have happened.
    Ryan got a lot of credit for a couple of decent displays against Dublin a few years ago in the championship, might have made him look like a tactician to some. A long way back now, I can't see the current set up reversing this, could easily be something else going wrong that's out of Ryan's control.

A lot can happen in a couple of years. Hopefully it goes the other way now and the guys in the clubs recognise the importance of their role in the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

There is certainly more wrong with Kildare that Jason Ryan's shortcomings. We don't know what's happening behind the scenes, but there is something amiss. Ryan took the job at a very difficult time - budget constraints, players leaving for AFL, JD retiring, etc.

The players have no respect for Ryan, I know this as a fact. They feel he betrayed the previous manager for taking over while he was a selector. They don't want to put their bodies on the line for him like they did for the previous manager.

Kildare need a huge clean out for 2016. Players like Callaghan, Mikey Conway, Connolly, Lynch and Daryl Flynn need to retire. They're simply not good enough at this level anymore. People like Morgan O'Callaghan need to be removed from the set up too. Appointing him as a selector was the strangest thing I've heard in a while.

Give the likes of Neil Flynn, Ryan Houlihan and Paul Mescal a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Morgan O'Callaghan is a selector?

I saw he was the runner yesterday. I thought that was usually Ronan Quinn's role?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Nib wrote: »
    There is certainly more wrong with Kildare that Jason Ryan's shortcomings. We don't know what's happening behind the scenes, but there is something amiss. Ryan took the job at a very difficult time - budget constraints, players leaving for AFL, JD retiring, etc.

The players have no respect for Ryan, I know this as a fact. They feel he betrayed the previous manager for taking over while he was a selector. They don't want to put their bodies on the line for him like they did for the previous manager.

Kildare need a huge clean out for 2016. Players like Callaghan, Mikey Conway, Connolly, Lynch and Daryl Flynn need to retire. They're simply not good enough at this level anymore. People like Morgan O'Callaghan need to be removed from the set up too. Appointing him as a selector was the strangest thing I've heard in a while.

Give the likes of Neil Flynn, Ryan Houlihan and Paul Mescal a chance.

The goalie?

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote: »
    Sad to see Kildare dropping down. With a decent underage crop it should not have happened.
    Ryan got a lot of credit for a couple of decent displays against Dublin a few years ago in the championship, might have made him look like a tactician to some. A long way back now, I can't see the current set up reversing this, could easily be something else going wrong that's out of Ryan's control.

A lot can happen in a couple of years. Hopefully it goes the other way now and the guys in the clubs recognise the importance of their role in the process.
    Cheers stoner sad times for us in football terms what a fall from grace. We were holding our own in div 1 to then relegation back to back and now div 3.

Can't even remember times as bad as they are now. Great to see hurlers showing true heart and determination

Morgan O'Callaghan is a selector?

I saw he was the runner yesterday. I thought that was usually Ronan Quinn's role?
    He was appointed selector before the league started. I was amazed there was nothing more said about it.
    paulie21 wrote: »
    The goalie?
    Yes, he removed himself from the panel a few weeks ago so he probably won't play again anyway.

When did we stop producing proper ball winning midfielders as a county? Most teams cop onto the fact that we are afraid to kick the ball long within ten minutes of the start of every game, they push up on Donnellan and panic ensues. It has been this way since 2011 when we were without Earley and Lynch and Flynn declined after their injury problems.

We always produced fine midfielders as a county even when we were useless in the 80s. Think Shay Fahy, Martin Lynch, Sean McGovern, Niall Buckley, Willie McCreery, Dermot Earley, Killian Brennan and Ronan Sweeney. Some of those had their limitations as footballers but we were never dominated by teams on kickouts like we have been in the last few years. Losing Feely and Hurley was a double blow as they were both excellent in the air. With Tommy Moolick out of action, the only Kildare player that has looked capable of catching a kickout during this league campaign is Fionn Dowling.

All Ireland PP Senior C Football Final:

Ardscoil Rath Iomhgháin 0-19 Coláiste Ghobnatan 2-12

Well done Rathangan.

Great result for rathangan

• Advertisement

The draws for the SFC, IFC and JFC take place next Friday evening. Who do people think will win them and who might be relegated?

I think Moorefield are probably favorites for the senior again, Athy and Sarsfields won't be too far behind. Johnstownbridge have started very well in the league, winning all of their first four games, they could be dark horses. Hard to see St Kevin's hanging on any longer, they'll be relegated IMO. Eadestown could also struggle.

The intermediate is wide open. Towers are my fancy. They look to be getting stronger as their young team get older. Raheens and Castledermot will be in with a chance too. Ellistown as dark horses. Kill have been hanging on for the last few years but I think this is the year where their luck finally runs out and they'll make the drop to junior. Suncroft are struggling in the league but they always seem to get it together come championship, same applies to Ballyteague.

The junior isn't as predictable as the last few years. Robertstown, Castlemitchell and Kilcullen are all in with a realistic chance of winning it. I'll give Robertstown a hesitant vote. Milltown are flying in the league and could cause an upset.

I think Celbridge have a good shout in the SFC. There's every chance they will have Paddy Brophy back for the latter stages once the Australian season is over. The two Newbridge clubs will be thereabouts as usual. For me Sarsfields have the better footballers but Moorefield have more grit. Sarsfields really should have buried them off the first day last year and they might improve a bit this year with less of an overlap between the minor and senior panels. Athy are just a complete basket case. Capable of shooting the lights out against any team and equally capable of shooting their own head off. JTB and Confey the dark horses. I can't see them winning it but possible surprise semi finalists. Carbury and Larries seem to have fallen back a bit. Everyone else is simply making up the numbers.

I'd agree with Towers as favourites for the IFC. Castledermot will also be strong. They have some very promising young players like Farrell, O'Keeffe and Mahon. I'd give Two Mile House an outside shout. Last year was always going to be a struggle after their All Ireland exploits. Having Peter Kelly back fit is a huge plus to them. I'd be hoping Kill can hang on in there again. They always seem to raise their game for the championship and finally got off the mark at the weekend beating Suncroft.

Milltown will be hard to beat in the JFC going on their early league form. They seem to be running up some huge scores albeit against Division 3 defences.

Team to play Louth in 1st round of Leinster Minor Championship

1 Declan Campbell Raheens
    2 Sean Healy Moorefield
    3 Ronan Slattery Eadestown
    4 Gavin Burke Two Mile House
    5 Cathal Daffy Round Towers
    6 Conor Hartley Sarsfields
    7 James Healy Sarsfields
    8 Rory Feely Athy
    9 Daniel Courtney Kilcock
    10 Kevin O Callaghan Celbridge
    11 Ethan O Donoghue Clane
    12 Brian Mc Loughlin Clane
    13 Stefan Lawler Rathangan
    14 Matthew Kelly Round Towers
    15 Aaron Murphy Castledermot

SFC Round 1 draw:

St Kevins v Leixlip
    Maynooth v Naas
    Confey v St Laurences
    Monastrevin v JTB
    Allenwood v Celbridge
    Moorefield v Eadestown
    Athy v Sarsfields
    Clane v Carbury

IFC:

Round Towers v Balllymore
    Rathangan v Ballyteague
    Kill v Kilcock
    Two Mile House v Ellistown
    Suncroft v Straffan
    Clogherinkoe v Caragh
    Castledermot v Raheens
    Nurney v Sallins

JFC:

Group 1
    1 Robertstown
    2 Rathcoffey
    3 Grangenolvan
    4 Cappagh
    5 Kilcullen

2 v 1
    4 v 5
    3 Bye

Group 2
    1 Milltown
    2 Ballykelly
    3 Castlemitchell
    4 Rheban

1 v 2
    3 v 4

SHC:

Maynooth V Eire Og/CC
    Clane V Naas
    Celbridge V Ardclough
    Confey V Leixlip

Coil Dubh go straight to Winners Group

SFC: Athy v Sarsfields
    IFC: Castledermot V Raheens
    SHC: Celbridge V Ardclough, Confey V Leixlip

:eek:

Great games to look forward to!

Very poor defeat for the minor footballers. First defeat at this stage of the competition since 2008.

I'm not in the least bit surprised with some of the stories that have been coming out of this camp.

Not one bit surprised at that result. That's the weakest Kildare minor team I've seen in a few years.

Jimmy Hyland left sitting on the bench having kicked 0-11, 0-10 and 0-8 for Ard Scoil Rathangan in their recent run to an All Ireland. Brendan Hackett hasn't covered himself in glory with this team.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Very poor defeat for the minor footballers. First defeat at this stage of the competition since 2008.

I'm not in the least bit surprised with some of the stories that have been coming out of this camp.

Ah cmon, you can't just leave that hanging there - what happened!?

Ah cmon, you can't just leave that hanging there - what happened!?

One player who hurt his knee playing for his club was told to come to Hawkfield so a physio could assess the injury. When he arrived he was brought before a meeting of the minor panel where he was told that he was dropped and that this was what happens when you play for your club.

If that's the level of respect we have for young lads and for clubs in Kildare then it's no wonder we are where we are.

• Advertisement

Hopefully this spells the end for Brendan Hackett, he has been living off wins over Dublin B U16 teams for far too long. Time to get the likes of JD, Earley, Lacey, etc in to look after our underage teams.

Declan Cryan is another I would be keen on getting involved. His record at schools level is excellent.

What's everyone's thoughts on O'Connor leaving the panel

Doubtful whether he would have featured much anyway but it's not a good sign to see players opting out at this stage of the year with the summer almost upon us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭redarmy

There were wins for Celbridge, Coill Dubh, Confey and Naas in Round 4 of the Senior Hurling League on Tuesday night (21st April).
    A clash of titans took place in Ardclough with Celbridge and the hosts hitting a combined 36 scoring, but it wasn’t the highest number on the night.
    Over in Creighton Park, Confey and Clane struck 37 scores between them.
    The results leave Naas as table toppers on scoring difference with 6 points, with Celbridge also on 6 points but with a game in hand.
    Behind them are Coill Dubh on 5 points, Éire Óg/Corrachoill on 4 points and two games in hand, and Confey also on 4 points.
    Ardclough is on 3 points, Leixlip on 2 and Clane and Maynooth pointless after three and four games played respectively.
    The results in full are: Ardclough 1-17 Celbridge 4-14; Confey 2-19 Clane 2-14; Leixlip 1-8 Coill Dubh 4-11; Maynooth 0-8, Naas 2-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭lanomist

Squigs30 wrote:
    I personally would assume that parking operations were out of action in this case but bought the ticket just in case and because I believe in contributing to the upkeep of local services.

Thanks for posting the hurling results Red army. Would someone post the football results every week as well and maybe the league tables. Usually have to wait for the local paper to come out to get all the latest results.

lanomist wrote: »
    Thanks for posting the hurling results Red army. Would someone post the football results every week as well and maybe the league tables. Usually have to wait for the local paper to come out to get all the latest results.

Kildare Gaa website actually good at updating the results pretty much straight away

Keith Cribbin did his cruciate yesterday.

Keith Cribbin did his cruciate yesterday.

Feck it. Been one of the best performers of a bad lot this year. This is why McGeeney didn't want players playing club league games

• Advertisement

paulie21 wrote: »
    Feck it. Been one of the best performers of a bad lot this year. This is why McGeeney didn't want players playing club league games

It could have just as easily happened in a training session or a challenge match. Big shame for Keith who had really been making up for lost time over the last 18 months.

Advertisement